Traverse Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all!

I have had my '12 for about 5 years now and over the years, I have replaced numerous halogen headlight bulbs on both sides. Last year, I upgraded to LED bulbs hoping this would fix the issue. I'm now working on my 2nd set of LED's inside a year's time. For reference, the LED bulbs I purchased were NINEO bulbs and they were nice enough to send me a new set after the first bulb blew. Any idea what the issue could be and the possible fix?

Thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
21 Posts
The reason your LED bulbs keep dying is because your Traverse controls your headlight brightness via PWM. It is not a traditional on-off circuit like older vehicles. If you are not familiar with PWM circuits, it just means the body control module turns the circuit on and off very quickly to control brightness. This is why your daytime running lights are dimmer than regular headlights. When controlling (adjusting brightness) a resistive load like headlights, it is more efficient to switch the circuit off and on quickly than to use a traditional resistor. (think the old turn-dial knobs on a wall, for example). The body control module adjusts how fast (bright) or slow (dim) to cycle the power, which results in a bright or dim bulb. This rapid switching is incompatible with traditional LEDs and will cause failure in short order. They do make "LED flicker" inline modules but I'm not familiar and also not sure this would alleviate your problem.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts