Traverse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased a 2012 Chevy Traverse in the Fall of 2019 and a few months later began to notice a surge or drift feeling as we were driving...RPM’s are fluttering during each episode as well but there has never been a code thrown. Three different mechanics and we’ve still gotten nowhere. We’ve replaced the spark plugs, cleaned the MAF, put on a new cat convertor and had scans run for hidden codes but still nothing. Weve found several threads on this site complaining about the same or similar issues but never can find the conclusion to the issue.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
92 Posts
Cats will not flutter rpm. My old '09 Malibu had a MAF running just on the edge of setting a code causing erratic drivability issues. My scan tool showed the frequency it was running at which was at the edge of it's normal range, cleaning did not fix it. Replaced and fixed.
Just a suggestion and it's not too expensive of a part as all these engine control systems are similar.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cats will not flutter rpm. My old '09 Malibu had a MAF running just on the edge of setting a code causing erratic drivability issues. My scan tool showed the frequency it was running at which was at the edge of it's normal range, cleaning did not fix it. Replaced and fixed.
Just a suggestion and it's not too expensive of a part as all these engine control systems are similar.
Thank you! We cleaned the MAF last night and drove it this morning to the store and there were none of the surges we were feeling before and just a couple small flutters to the RPM’s on the way home however, there were a couple surges accompanied by RPM flutters...Would this be a sign that we are on the right path with the MAF? My gas mileage also has shot back up to 20.4 where as it had dropped down to 16 something when the surges were every few moments and at times almost violent. We had had a code for the CAT a handful of times and had it reset (the code) trying to chase this surging/sputtering issue. Of the handful of mechanics we have been to our most recent told us the CAT was seen as a priority code and that the cars computer wouldn’t allow it to throw the CEL for the surge until the CAT was replaced. Replaced the CAT and resumed regular driving, the surge/sputter became even more frequent and more of a jerking movement and no CEL have thrown at all. We appreciate your help so much, it’s so frustrating!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the same issue with my 2012 traverse and at the end I concluded that it is because of torque converter fail but it is really expensive to replace and i am just driving in that way...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! We cleaned the MAF last night and drove it this morning to the store and there were none of the surges we were feeling before and just a couple small flutters to the RPM’s on the way home however, there were a couple surges accompanied by RPM flutters...Would this be a sign that we are on the right path with the MAF? My gas mileage also has shot back up to 20.4 where as it had dropped down to 16 something when the surges were every few moments and at times almost violent. We had had a code for the CAT a handful of times and had it reset (the code) trying to chase this surging/sputtering issue. Of the handful of mechanics we have been to our most recent told us the CAT was seen as a priority code and that the cars computer wouldn’t allow it to throw the CEL for the surge until the CAT was replaced. Replaced the CAT and resumed regular driving, the surge/sputter became even more frequent and more of a jerking movement and no CEL have thrown at all. We appreciate your help so much, it’s so frustrating!
I have the same issue with my 2012 traverse and at the end I concluded that it is because of torque converter fail but it is really expensive to replace and i am just driving in that way...
When you say “in the end...” could you share what you tried prior to deciding it was the torque converter? We just bought the vehicle in October so if we have to replace/rebuild the transmission we will be upside down on the Traverse. We’ve been to three different mechanics...one told us it was the tranny, one said it was the CAT and one told us it was our alternator...with no CEL we are at our wits end and appreciate any help we can get!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Of course first I replaced my spark plugs and checked coils and cleaned maf sensor and throttle, and then balanced and alligned tires. but nothing changed and no code i have got so far. I have no gearing issue. My rpm needle fluctuates and I was feeling a vibration but I added shudder fix and vibration went away now I only have rpm issue. In this forum there r a lot of posts describing the same problem and most of them solved it by replacing the TC. but sure I don't know enough of your problem. This is just an option an idea for your problem. I wish it would be a very simple issue. Good luck 👍

·
Registered
768 Posts
Just one easy thing to try if you haven't already. Drain and refill your transmission fluid. Get a couple of jugs of recommended ATF for your year, synthetic if compatible. Drain the pan it will be 3-4qts. Refill, drive a couple hundred miles, repeat, do it 3 Times since you are having issues, easy and cheap. Just my .02

·
Registered
70 Posts
In my experience I've cleaned mass airflow sensors and then had them go wonky again, ended up just replacing them. For what they cost and how easy they are to do, you may consider getting a new MAF just to eliminate that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We purchased a 2012 Chevy Traverse in the Fall of 2019 and a few months later began to notice a surge or drift feeling as we were driving...RPM’s are fluttering during each episode as well but there has never been a code thrown. Three different mechanics and we’ve still gotten nowhere. We’ve replaced the spark plugs, cleaned the MAF, put on a new cat convertor and had scans run for hidden codes but still nothing. Weve found several threads on this site complaining about the same or similar issues but never can find the conclusion to the issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We had an 09 Outlook. Had tranny rebuilt at 116,000 miles. After rebuild, we started to have issues with the car. It seemed like the transmission was shifting back and forth at different speeds. It greatly reduced our fuel mileage. You could actually watch the tach needle move up and down when this happened. After several trips to the transmission shop, it was diagnosed as a bad torque converter. They replaced it for free and the problem went away. We ended up finally with the camshaft problem at 223,000 miles when we then traded it off.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issue, but unfortunately I have bad news. I have a 2012 LTZ and that EXACT problem began around 105,000 and the vehicle was still, at the time, under extended GMPP for another 2000 miles. Dealer insisted that the condition is normal and with escalation to Chevrolet Customer Service, the problem was never resolved.

After extensive research, the problem is caused by the pressure switches de-laminating on the transmission control unit. (TECHM). No codes will be set unless the de-lamination is complete. This causes fluttering RPMs while cruising and erratic transmission performance (rough torque converter lockup/release). This results in torque converter damage. At approximately $100 labor rate, it is about 4 hours to replace a TECHM ($400 with programming=~$800 total). To replace a torque converter it pays about 12 hours= ~$1900 total with parts.

You have two options:

Do what I did and ordered a Sonnax pressure switch rebuild kit for the 6T70/6T75 and replace the switches yourself. If you're good at working on cars and a good set of tools you can do this in an afternoon. I recommend a subscription to DIY Alldata as well. The Sonnax instructions are written really well for a intermediate DIYer; and when you're done, the whole repair will only run you about $35. BTW your car has a 1st gen 6T75 transmission.

After completing the repair, the fluttering RPM's were gone but I still had torque converter lockup issues. Long story short I replaced the torque converter myself in my garage (took about a weekend and don't let anyone tell you this cant be done without a lift- it absolutely can). The torque converter was about $185 on Amazon (after core) and a few bucks extra for the input shaft seal. I supported the motor with a Harbor Freight engine support and used a shop crane to lower the transmission from the bottom after removing the sub frame. Its a huge job but can be done. I completed both repairs about a year ago and the car runs like a dream. 147k and still rolling strong.

With that vehicle worth about 6k on a trade, I wouldn't pay a mechanic to do the work. Not worth it in my opinion. Get rid of it before it becomes undrivable.

Good luck,
Brad

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have the throttle position sensor checked. It’s integrated into the throttle body. A new throttle body was about 100 bucks from rock auto.I had same problem on a 2012. There is a position sensor on the gas pedal as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts