Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Traverse 1LT FWD
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 1lt fwd, traverse gave me a message saying stop engine now, low oil pressure. The gauges were reading at normal levels, and I had 74% oil life remaining. Three seconds after the message came up on the dic, the car stopped dead. It would not roll over. Afterwards the battery also died we believe and the car was making a clicking sound trying to roll over after we put 6 quarts of oil. What could this be

·
Registered
2012 Traverse 1LT FWD
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you had to add 6 qts of oil, I'd say you were out of oil and the engine has probably seized up.
I kinda figured that out, but I don’t know how it could be out when it had an oil change about 1500 miles ago. When the oil change happened, the car was in the shop for a timing belt replacement, and they pulled the engine out. I noticed on acceleration that it makes a whining sound, kinda like a turbo or super charger makes. The car has been maintained well, my grandmother drove it and changed the oil at like 50-60% oil life. About two days after we got it back from the shop, called “just GM” we were driving it back home and the car made a weird sound and then flashed that the stabiltrack needed servicing, and it turned traction control off. We pulled over too the side of the road and turned the car off and back on and then it went away, but coming home from hobby lobby, as I was pulling out of the parking space it made a edited sound and lurched forward.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Well you should have it towed back to "Just GM" and let them analyze what happened to their work. You should consider consulting a lawyer in case they deny all responsibility. BTW These vehicles don't have timing belts, they do have timing chains, just in case Just GM asks.
If you were down 6 qts. of lubrication, there must have been some other symptoms before this catastrophe happened. What else did you experience?

·
Registered
2012 Traverse 1LT FWD
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well you should have it towed back to "Just GM" and let them analyze what happened to their work. You should consider consulting a lawyer in case they deny all responsibility. BTW These vehicles don't have timing belts, they do have timing chains, just in case Just GM asks.
If you were down 6 qts. of lubrication, there must have been some other symptoms before this catastrophe happened. What else did you experience?
It was all listed in the previous comment, but it has also been making a weird sound form the front area a little like a creaking. Just GM is ase certified mechanics, they worked at GM dealerships previously. It got towed to my house last night, about 3 hours after this all happened. The car has had no major issues except for these. The air conditioner did stop blowing cold air the other day, and will not let me turn in the snowflake button, that happened after they pulled out the engine, in fact a lot of these stuff wasn’t happening before. We had the air conditioner repaired last May.

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
is it possible they did the work- then forgot to add the proper amount of oil.
hard to believe it burned through 6 qts of oil in 1500 miles.

·
Registered
2012 Traverse 1LT FWD
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is it possible they did the work- then forgot to add the proper amount of oil.
hard to believe it burned through 6 qts of oil in 1500 miles.
That could be, my father just got it to start, it was weak sounding, then the my father pressed the accelerator and it made a weird sound that I can’t quite describe, but it was not a happy sounding sound

·
Registered
585 Posts
I trained my wifey to check HER OWN OIL every other fill up. She's done so, for 30 years now.

Everyone once in awhile, she left a sticky note on the 'Fridge that says " Car oil at ADD". This was with the 2012 Tahoe. This was my cue to go out and investigate the situation.

So far, the 2020 Traverse has needed zero make up oil.

Blame the shop all you want..... but your 2012 Traverse, is your car.

·
Registered
2012 Traverse 1LT FWD
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I trained my wifey to check HER OWN OIL every other fill up. She's done so, for 30 years now.

Everyone once in awhile, she left a sticky note on the 'Fridge that says " Car oil at ADD". This was with the 2012 Tahoe. This was my cue to go out and investigate the situation.

So far, the 2020 Traverse has needed zero make up oil.

Blame the shop all you want..... but your 2012 Traverse, is your car.
Ok, sir I am 16, I inherited this car from my grandmother who died December. The car has been near perfectly maintained. That negative comment was not needed. The car gave no indication to it being out of oil. As a a matter of fact the car showed 74% oil life remaining. This is my first car. Good job you trained your wife who is at lest 40 years my senior. While it could be my fault. I followed what I know what to do. I was stating what the shop had done and when.

·
Registered
585 Posts
If you can pass a drivers test, you can check your oil. You said you had to put 6 quarts of oil in. You dont think thats a indication, that it was empty? Oil life percentage has nothing to do with oil level.

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother.....

·
Registered
134 Posts
The OLM does not tell you whether you have oil in the crank case or not. Did you check around the engine bay area for oil stains? 6 quarts of oil is a lot for sure. Don't put your trust on a mechanic, always do your due diligence to check the work done by them.

·
Registered
2012 Traverse 1LT FWD
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The OLM does not tell you whether you have oil in the crank case or not. Did you check around the engine bay area for oil stains? 6 quarts of oil is a lot for sure. Don't put your trust on a mechanic, always do your due diligence to check the work done by them.
Their has been no oil leaks that I saw, when it was parked on my driveway their was not an oil stain. The oil pressure gauge was in a normal range. The car had an oil change at about 89000 miles. The sticker showed that I did not need to have it changed till 93000, as I also stated, the car gave no prior warning air indications, no lights came on, no messages popped up until the message that stated low oil pressure stop engine now, and then a few seconds after that message came on, the car stopped dead, and did not want to roll over. I have not ran over or hit anything to cause damage to an oil pan, neither had my grandmother.

·
Registered
2012 Traverse 1LT FWD
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you can pass a drivers test, you can check your oil. You said you had to put 6 quarts of oil in. You dont think thats a indication, that it was empty? Oil life percentage has nothing to do with oil level.

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother.....
As I was saying about the mechanic, it went in to be worked on, and they pulled the engine out. A day after we got it back, we were driving back from my grandmothers house, and it flashed a message service stabilitrack, and traction control off. We took it back and they cleared out the code. We got the car back from the mechanic less then a month ago. And it has mostly been traveled from my house to schools, and back.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Like rbarrios said maybe they didn't put in enough oil after the engine work is done. No way 6 qts of oil vanished in thin air. Talk to "Just GM" so they can sort it out. I won't mess with it now to further damage the engine.

·
Registered
2012 Traverse 1LT FWD
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Like rbarrios said maybe they didn't put in enough oil after the engine work is done. No way 6 qts of oil vanished in thin air. Talk to "Just GM" so they can sort it out. I won't mess with it now to further damage the engine.
My father was going to have it towed to a shop either today or Monday. He hooked it up in a battery charger and it started then.

·
Registered
833 Posts
What was the reason/symptoms for them pulling the engine? A Stabilitrack message may or may not be associated with the current engine issue. Since a lot of work was done they may have left a connector loose,shorted, broken, or possibly a ground disconnected.
It would be good to know what happened to 6 qt. of oil though.

·
Registered
2012 Traverse 1LT FWD
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What was the reason/symptoms for them pulling the engine? A Stabilitrack message may or may not be associated with the current engine issue. Since a lot of work was done they may have left a connector loose,shorted, broken, or possibly a ground disconnected.
It would be good to know what happened to 6 qt. of oil though.
The timing chain, was about to snap, and they took the engine out to reach the chain

·
Registered
134 Posts
Logical thinking there was no oil in the vehicle. Another question is why the oil pressure gauge was showing good reading before it crapped out.:unsure:

·
Registered
2012 Traverse 1LT FWD
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Logical thinking there was no oil in the vehicle. Another question is why the oil pressure gauge was showing good reading before it crapped out.:unsure:
With it showing a normal level before it went out, I automatically assumed it just chugged it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts