Traverse Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I’ve been lurking the forum for a while, and I’ve came across some helpful posts. I’ve got a question that I can’t seem to find an answer to.
I’ve been having issues with low air flow coming out of vents. I’ve replaced the blend door actuator that controls the vent selection (the easiest one to get to on the passenger side), the air cabin filter, and the blower motor, but something still seems odd.

When the vent selection is set all the way to blow out of the top vents (normal vents, not defrost), there is a lot of air coming out of the floor/console area. It’s almost like something is not fully open and the top vents have very restricted air flow.
I’m at a loss of what to do, and my knowledge is severely lacking lol.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
You might need to recailbrate the actuators.

See post #18 here:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might need to recailbrate the actuators.

See post #18 here:

Thanks for the link! I actually tried this a few different times recently. I never heard anything moving and nothing changed. I actually read somewhere to that the 2012 doesn't automatically calibrate, but I haven't confirmed that. I'm wondering if I would need to take the actuator back off and try to rotate it to be more open and then put it back on?

·
Registered
413 Posts
If you have the automatic temperature control - yes. There's an HVAC module, basically a computer.
"automatic temperature control"...Are you referring to a degreed thermostat? The 15 LS just has the basic temp. controls.

And I'm "assuming" the actuators, if it has them, are vacuum controlled. Will check it.

Bought this in 18 and everything still works good, so far.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
The actuators are electrically controlled. (I might be wrong, but I don't believe any vehicle uses vacuum control for anything like HVAC or wipers, etc. anymore - in fact, I suspect only those of us "of a certain age" would even think they might work that way. If you have automatic temp control, where you set in a temperature, there's temperature sensor that sends the actual temperature to a computer module that then controls the actuators to maintain the temperature you've requested.

I'm not exactly certain how the LS controls temperature; I would guess that the "basic temperature controls" is simply a potentiometer or reostat that adjusts the electrical signal to the actuator; YOU are the "temperature sensor" and YOU are the "computer" sending the signal to the actuator.

Whether it's a computer or you manually adjusting the electrical signal, the actuator is still moved by electricity.

I don't know if the manual versions re-calibrate themselves or not (I suspect they do), but it certainly doesn't hurt anything to try.

·
Registered
2015 Traverse LT AWD
306 Posts
My user manual says adjusting the temperature to the lowest or highest setting would not speed up the system to cool or heat the cabin. I have auto temperature control, when I turn up or down the cabin temperature the fan just lower or increase the fan speed. The manual system should work the same.

My understanding is that the actuators are electrically controlled to direct the heated/cooled air. When replacing them you have to allow time for it to recalibrate. YouTube has lots of video on that.

May be a temperature sensor somewhere to control the compressor. May be just to pause it to maintain the cabin temperature I'm not sure, just logical thinking.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The 15LS which is the base model has a reostat/potentiometer that controls temperture.....like us more "mature" ones are familiar with.

Am behind the "learning curve" on the newer vehicle hvac systems IE:actuators,sensors,etc. Went from a 97 Plymouth Grand Voyager 3.3 to a 15 Traverse LS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.