Traverse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my son played with my remote and then I hear the horn sounded for a while, so I went out the door and hit the lock/unlock button, it didn't stop(I should press the horn button to stop it, later I found on the manual). When it finally stopped, I start the car, the engine light is on, and also I hear a pretty loud whining noise more like an emission of some electrical equipment.
I dial the on-star, and was told that the solid engine light on is some communication problems that show my car was broken in. I can drive as long as I can't feel any power and shift problems, that I didn't.
I can't get answer to the noise. But I found the noise come from the bottom of the car, not the engine block. Seems from a box underneath the second row.
I will leave the car to dealer tomorrow, anybody has any idea what this could be? I need to drive it today if I can but don't want to be towed when go outside. Thanks.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Re: 2011 whiny noise and engine light on.

The box under the second row would be where the battery is, but it would be strange to hear it making any noise. Sounds like something security related was tripped but not sure.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 2011 whiny noise and engine light on.

Thanks jwhjr. Now the remote start doesn't work, the system has some problems somewhere, or maybe only need a reset.
I drove it anyway for about 70 miles, runs good. The whiny noise is still there just not that loud, still can be heard in the car, I don't think that's normal. I will go to dealer tomorrow.

jwhjr said:
The box under the second row would be where the battery is, but it would be strange to hear it making any noise. Sounds like something security related was tripped but not sure.

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
hi.
remote start is disabled if the check engine light is on.
To make the alarm go off-- he either pressed the panic button on the remote...
or he got in the car- locked the vehicle and then opened the car door manually-- setting off the alarm.

As for the sound--- I dont know what that could be.
But the sound from under the box---- could it be the fuel pump? you said under the car around the 2nd seat area....

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks rbarrios. Right, the remote start must've been disabled. He was at home and may pressed the panic button. I should press it again..But should GM designer have more redundancy design( I mean error proof) for the complex control system to avoid this kind of accident?
For the sound, when I get out of the car, the sound come from the bottom under 2 row seats, seems like the battery box, or the fuel pump if it is nearby too. It was so loud I have never heard. I can't pin-point it exactly, cause there is still some distance to reach for my ear. I've never let fuel go down to less than 1/4 tank and fill it in costco, so fuel pump should be good?
Will go to the dealer ASAP.

rbarrios said:
hi.
remote start is disabled if the check engine light is on.
To make the alarm go off-- he either pressed the panic button on the remote...
or he got in the car- locked the vehicle and then opened the car door manually-- setting off the alarm.

As for the sound--- I dont know what that could be.
But the sound from under the box---- could it be the fuel pump? you said under the car around the 2nd seat area....

·
Registered
150 Posts
Faint "eeeeeeeeeeeee" sound from under hood area for short duration after shutting off vehicle is normal. Coming from underside of vehicle??? Hmmmm, almost sounds like you may be hearing fuel pump. Fuel tank runs the length of 2 rows of seating on the one side of your vehicle. Try to see if the sound is emanating from the tank area, it's on the opposite side of vehicle from where the battery box is though. There is a low pressure fuel pump/sending unit in the tank. But it's practically silent for the most part.

Dealership should be able to identify the sound and advise if normal or not.

If you can capture the audio and upload a sample for forum members to hear it, maybe some other well trained ears could help out.

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
I think the red color of your remotes panic button may have attracted your childs attention to set it off.
So far- Ive never had it go off- while Ive had the keys in pocket. I think its more of a curious little mind.

But I am eager to find out about the sound- I wonder if it is going to be a bad/noisy fuel pump.

this is an image of my 2010.
Looking from the FRONT to REAR. the stands that are farther apart are up close to the engine-
the stands that are close to each other are at the rear.
If you look on the right hand side- just about where the jack is-- theres a big long black box- thats the fuel tank.
the other side just has the exhaust pipe-I dont recall seeing any thing else.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks bigtallvandy, rbarrios. Today the sound is much lower and it is really difficult to pin-point it. I tried to video them in the morning but really not bad, even I still can hear it, it was not annoying me. I believe it came from the fuel pump, I searched there is another post in this forum complain about it, no solution though. I really can’t imagine anything that can create noise in that area when the car is in idle. But the only difference is now the fuel tank is full, and before it was just above ¼, is it possible the full tank of fuel creates a kind of damping on the sound? I will see to next fuel filling.

Engine light:

The dealer is busy and I can’t get an appointment, so I disconnected the positive connector on the battery, waited for several minutes, and then reconnected it(make sure it is really tighten). Wow, Engine light is gone, and remote start is ok. I guess the scenario behind it is: my son pressed the panic horn button, (yes, the red button may attract him) the horn started to sound, instead of press the horn again, I was panic--really didn’t want to bother my quiet neighbors in the Sunday morning, to press other keys, lock/unlock, even tried to remote start the engine, I just wanted to override the sound. Then somehow it triggered the security. But is it nicer to add this function: press any keys to override and stop the horn?

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
I think you may have a noisy fuel pump.
Since you say filling it up- quieted it down... this does point to a noisy pump.

The pump sits INSIDE the tank- Gasoline acts as a coolant for the pump-
Since it was low in the tank- the pump was noisy... and so yes the gas can attenuate the sound.

But- the pumps in the Lambdas- are quiet.
-BUT-- the lambdas actually have 2 fuel pumps. the one in the tank-- and theres one up in the engine area.
the tank one pumps gas at normal levels...
the 2nd pump- presurizes the fuel up to about 1700 PSI at wide open throttle is what I think I remember reading.

Hopefully they can make your pump quiet- if thats what the issue is.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rbarrios: Thanks for your information. I agree that the fuel pump in Lambdas is quiet. When I tested drive the other one, the tank is near empty and it can only go 30 miles, but it was very quiet. The noise should come from the pump in the tank. I will keep my ears on it, if it reproduces when fuel goes down to 1/4, I will definitely go to the dealer.

rbarrios said:
I think you may have a noisy fuel pump.
Since you say filling it up- quieted it down... this does point to a noisy pump.

The pump sits INSIDE the tank- Gasoline acts as a coolant for the pump-
Since it was low in the tank- the pump was noisy... and so yes the gas can attenuate the sound.

But- the pumps in the Lambdas- are quiet.
-BUT-- the lambdas actually have 2 fuel pumps. the one in the tank-- and theres one up in the engine area.
the tank one pumps gas at normal levels...
the 2nd pump- presurizes the fuel up to about 1700 PSI at wide open throttle is what I think I remember reading.

Hopefully they can make your pump quiet- if thats what the issue is.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: this morning the fuel gauge has reached to near 1/8 mark, I started the engine and didn't hear any abnormal noise outside.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts