Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This 2011 Traverse now wont turn over. There is power. I go to start the vehicle after parked for 2 hours. Wont turn over and the anti theft icon is on. Remote start, manual start. Nothing works. Whats the deal

G

·
Did you happen to lock with the remote and then reach in through a window and unlock manually? Are there any signs of a break in? The theft deterrent system is triggered somehow; just need to figure out what caused it to disable the vehicle

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nope none of that. Its parked in front of my work shop and I was out working on my other car and I go over to it after a few hours and this happend. All windows are up. Am I going to have to have a dealer reset it? or is there someway to do it myself

G

·
You could try pulling the positive battery cable for a few minutes; that may reset whatever has tripped the system

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
Im thinking- a loose connector- between modules that communicate with each other-...

time for the 'tech2'- scan tool to try and communicate and find the problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just brought home our new Traverse Sunday. Thursday morning, same issue. Car attempts to start but won't turn over. We're a bit low on gas (34 miles to empty)...wondering if that has anything to do with it? Very frustrating. Have you resolved this? I'm going to call the free towing and have it taken to a dealer. First Chevy I've bought in my life. Not a good start.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
so is the engine actually turning over-- but will not start and stay running?

or the starter is not turning the engine at all?

If its turning over and wont 'fire'.... and you say youre at 34 miles to empty...
Are you parked on a slight incline?

If you are.. the Lambdas- have very large tanks- once youre down to a little bit of gas--- any incline- will move the gas- to either the front or rear of the tank--- leaving the fuel pump pickup-- nice and dry...

This has been experienced by several members here... the fix....
dont let your tank get so low--- and then park on an incline.

some members had to go get gas in a gas can- and pour it in (several gallons).
Then they cranked--- and vroooommmmm they start up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The same thing happened to me 2 days ago. It was caused by running low on gas and parked in an inclined driveway. I had to call AAA for fuel service.

I just got the 2011 Traverse 2 weeks ago. The fuel gauge was still above E. The inclined driveway may have a bigger impact to this car than my old one. Lesson learn how this car is different than my old one in term of fuel indicator and warning light.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had mine towed as well, and it started right up once it was on flat ground. Definitely low fuel was the issue, although in 25 years of driving I've never had to deal with this issue on a vehicle where I needed to be mindful of fuel level and parking situation in order to ensure my $40K car would start. Now that being said, last night we parked on an incline but with the car facing downhill (the time before it was a very slight uphill), fuel level was below an 1/8th of a tank, but the low fuel indicator light had not turned on. We woke up this morning, went to start it, and same issue. I had to pull the risky move of putting it in neutral, coasting it down our steep hill, and hoping it would start. Fortunately it did. If it hadn't I would have been stuck at the bottom blocking traffic. This type of jerry-rigging just doesn't feel normal to me. I don't mind the concept of parking on a downhill to ensure fuel is moving to the front, but if I can't count on that working either, it goes beyond a minor inconvenience.

Great to get the feedback from other owners or people more knowledgeable than me. Any follow up thoughts from the community?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have trouble thinking about how much great design went into these vehicles, to have such a basic flaw. There should be a sump in the fuel tank for these situations. This seems worthy of a recall.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
O r you could make it a practice not to allow the fuel level to ever go below a 1/4 tank. Not good, as well, to pick up all the crap in the bottom of the tank, when the level of fuel is almost at as vapor state.

To the poster who called AAA for fuel ...a push of the blue button to call Onstar will bring you fuel, as well.

Bob

·
Registered
324 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
O r you could make it a practice not to allow the fuel level to ever go below a 1/4 tank. Not good, as well, to pick up all the crap in the bottom of the tank, when the level of fuel is almost at as vapor state.

Bob
That is a workaround, but it would reduce my fuel tank capacity to 16 gallons. A selling point of the Traverse was the 22 gallon tank. I'm aware of the sediment concerns, thanks for pointing that out. I still view it as a HUGE design flaw. GM should at least document this in the manual if they designed it this way, perhaps to prevent sediment from pooling in the sump.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I too wish you could run the tank down to 1/8 or lower. Especially when it comes to towing an RV, you want to maximize how far you can go on one tank, seeing that you will be burning at least 30-50% more fuel. Oh well, we live with the design flaws.

·
Registered
465 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:

Bob
Yes the fuel cell is long measures six feet or 72 inches long , if any of you guys get under the drivers side the vehicle you will see a steel protector
bar is there beside the fuel cell to protect it from scrapes. It's only 16 inches wide around the three straps and looks like the fuel pump is in the rear of the tank.
So don't run your tank below 1/4 to 1/8 it causes fuel pumps issues especially during winter .. :eyebrow:

·
Registered
202 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
^^^
I agree with this.

Fuel pumps are immersed within the fuel in the tank for cooling purposes. If you routinely let your tank get very close to near empty, you are also probably overheating your fuel pump which may cause it to prematurely fail over time.

If you insist on running the truck nearly-dry between fillups, you could always buy one of those emergency 1-gallon cans of gas, then you won't be stranded when you park on a hill when your tank is empty and it doesn't start. Yea, carrying around a gallon of gas in the passenger compartment isn't the smartest thing to do either (heat and high temperatures... yikes :angryfire:) but considering your 'habits' ... it may become a time-saver the first time you use it. They also have some sort of pre-mixed setup that can be used in emergency situations, that is safer to keep in the car. Not sure how well that 'stuff' compares to real gasolene, but at least it's a solution.

Maybe it's just me, but common sense tells me that I never let mine go past 1/4 to 1/8 of a tank left before I shop around for a gas station. To each their own.

:eyebrow:

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Wow am I glad I read this post. The wife is really good about not getting gas until the last minute at times, which means that this could easilly happen to her, especiall since her work parking garage is inclined. I will make sure the knows not to go below the 1/4 tank mark, so that she can tell me, and I'll have to go pump gas more often. :eek:hno: Dang, now this post just made more work for me. :banghead:

·
Registered
312 Posts
This information about not running the tank too low is especially helpful given the high gas prices.

I find myself on occasion waiting until the last minute because I'm shopping for the cheapest gas or I'm hoping prices will drop a nickel by the weekend -- which they sometimes do. I'll make sure and keep it above 1/4 from now on.

Thanks. :thumb:

·
Registered
718 Posts
We've always made it a habit to not let the tank get below 1/4 full as well. I never liked replacing fuel pumps ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts