Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys , just happened few days ago wife was driving all of the sudden car just stalled couldn't get to start when she tried it wouldn't turn over at all on message boards showing " traction off" service traction. And service "stability control " and that's it no check engine light nothing.
When u turn the key no clicking, I don't hear the fuel pump nothing. Later scanned for codes one came up U0100 that's means no communication to the ECU ..I check all the fuses all ground wires and the plug under the driver side seems all good.....the only thing that I did recently like 2 weeks ago is old remote stoped working so I got one off ebay with the program plug thing got new remote working fine no issues....then now this can it be this anti theft thing got triggered?...I dont know what to do at this point

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Have you took a test on the battery?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes , took the battery off and they tested at auto zone it's all good there, no way it's the battery when I turn the ignition to on position there is no noise from a fuel pump at all

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope no noise from the fuel pump, I turn the key to start position and everything goes dimm and when let go all the gages reloads again. So I kinda gave up, I checked everything that to my knowledge, towed it to the dealer today supposedly will get it diagnosed tomorrow, will see .I better dont hear " sorry the code we got is no communication with ECU "." u need new ECU ".....

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
If the battery is in good shape the only thing I conclude is a bad weak connection ( corrosion) on the battery cables long line. Keep us updated from the garage .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I got the call from the dealer at 5pm as always they will wait till last minute to tell u the problem. I Even guess it what he will say and that's is correct " he said all ground and and other connections are good but No communication to the ECU " I told him I already knew that , that's what's coming up before I even to it to them and he went on about other things like hes been there 20 years blah blah blah...seen this happened. So in conclusion "he said we have to start somewhere like replacing the ECU and it's not guaranteed if that will fix it " and that this will cost me roughly $950 . Yes , I'm lost for words . So I'm probably will be getting a used one for junk yard they run about $50-$60 ..not no $600 that hes trying to sell me..and install it myself the see what happens

·
Registered
339 Posts
It will need to be programmed to your vehicle so you will be going back to the dealer or to an independent garage who has a programmer. It is a hard thing to detect where the problem lies because there are several computers which communicate to each other. Which one is bad, who knows? One thing about the dealer, the mechanics are usually Flat Rate, they get paid by book rate, how much time the book says it takes to diagnose, and repair the symptoms you describe. Do you think there is any incentive for the mechanic to take a couple of hours to properly diagnose your problem? I doubt if if he is only going to be paid for a fixed amount of time. The Service adviser usually also gets a commission on the labor and parts.
If they cannot find the root cause of your issue, take it to a good mechanic who will take the time to properly diagnose the problem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've seen and heard of these shenanigans many times before. The "parts cannon" is alive and well in many dealerships. That said, you may want to take the vehicle to another dealership. It varies form location to location, but the best technicians often work for the premium brand dealerships. Cadillac and Buick shops often have a better handle on diagnostics than other GM service centers. In my neck of the woods, Cadillac has a much better reputation in performing complex diagnostics than the other GM service centers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this sounds weird but i have have lots of problems lately. Take my word just try it. If car will not crank or if while driving gauges all drop out and system flashes service air bag.
If car is running and you on the highway and all of a sudden SERVICE AIR BAGS comes on, blinkers don't work all the gauges have drop to nothing on dash, air will also cut off... Pull over to side of road in a safe spot leave car running, put in park. Unlock Steering Wheel pull in and out up and down and push back in and lock it back. Gauges should return to normal and it probably will not doing again for a while. Everything should work.
If CAR WILL TURN OVER AT ALL OR CRANK. Unlock steering wheel, pull in and out pull up and down, slam back in and lock it back. May take 2 times but turn on and it will crank. Its not the battery. I have lots more but want to see who else has all these problems.
Please tell me if this is just an ignition problem or what is it. Also radio does not work at all. Can't afford to take it everywhere to fix. IT IS NOT A FUSE EITHER all have been checked.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I know this sounds weird but i have have lots of problems lately. Take my word just try it. If car will not crank or if while driving gauges all drop out and system flashes service air bag.
If car is running and you on the highway and all of a sudden SERVICE AIR BAGS comes on, blinkers don't work all the gauges have drop to nothing on dash, air will also cut off... Pull over to side of road in a safe spot leave car running, put in park. Unlock Steering Wheel pull in and out up and down and push back in and lock it back. Gauges should return to normal and it probably will not doing again for a while. Everything should work.
If CAR WILL TURN OVER AT ALL OR CRANK. Unlock steering wheel, pull in and out pull up and down, slam back in and lock it back. May take 2 times but turn on and it will crank. Its not the battery. I have lots more but want to see who else has all these problems.
Please tell me if this is just an ignition problem or what is it. Also radio does not work at all. Can't afford to take it everywhere to fix. IT IS NOT A FUSE EITHER all have been checked.
The service Stabilitrack, Traction control messages are ones I am familiar with, mine were in a 2008 Outlook and the cause was a bad Mass Air Flow sensor. The root cause was the milkshake in the air intake snorkel, in the winter the throttle body froze up on me as I was driving on the highway in single digit temps. Doing the PVC mod did wonders to eliminate that issue.
The service air bag issue was a connector under the front seats. There was a recall on 2008 s and some other years as well to re work the air bag connector, then another recall to eliminate the connector by soldering the wires directly. I am suspecting your issue is the air bag connection.
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_15609028055119&key=7c39657abf26b14d3bc0e8c46991b017&libId=jx2h89u4010021eu000DA7jp3azha&loc=https://www.traverseforum.com/36-interior-electrical/5912-service-air-bag-light-2.html&v=1&opt=true&out=https://www.lawsonproducts.com/images/content/KRSC_GMTSB14030_AD.pdf&ref=https://search.yahoo.com/&title="Service Air Bag" light - Page 2 - Chevy Traverse Forum: Chevrolet Traverse Forum&txt=https://www.lawsonproducts.com/image...SB14030_AD.pdf

My dash went out then back on bright as ever, no odomer, no gauges, no radio, no turn signal indication as i was driving home one night, I dare not turn it off, I made it home and wouldnt restart in the driveway. Next day it started no problem. It was the air bag connector. I did the recall myself.

https://www.traverseforum.com/36-interior-electrical/5912-service-air-bag-light.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey , guys quick update""' ITS ALL FIXED!!!!!""" we got all figured out after I took it to the dealer to see what it is going on with my car and I didn't fall for that over a thousand dollars fix that they offered me so I went to my local junk yard and picked up a used ECU for $70 brought it to them they installed it reprogrammed it or what ever they did , service guy called me back and said problem fixed ( after all the ECU turned out to be bad an not other thousand things that could have been ). Went there paid I think like $322 got my car back , car runs like new. Few days later ended up selling the car anyway now looking for new travese to upgrade kinda like the new body style!...so thanks for all the replies guys

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hey , guys quick update""' ITS ALL FIXED!!!!!""" we got all figured out after I took it to the dealer to see what it is going on with my car and I didn't fall for that over a thousand dollars fix that they offered me so I went to my local junk yard and picked up a used ECU for $70 brought it to them they installed it reprogrammed it or what ever they did , service guy called me back and said problem fixed ( after all the ECU turned out to be bad an not other thousand things that could have been ). Went there paid I think like $322 got my car back , car runs like new. Few days later ended up selling the car anyway now looking for new travese to upgrade kinda like the new body style!...so thanks for all the replies guys
Excellent news! These problems could be a thousand things, glad they figured it out economically.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all. New on here but would like to ask about my 2012 Traverse problem that just started. While driving on a decent road at maybe 40 mph the following indications popped up. "Traction Control is off", Check "Stabil-Trak". That was bad enough but then I noticed the engine would die if I pressed the throttle down too far (like climbing a hill). What is this? Can the engine cut out do to something like wheel speed sensor error?
Lynn

·
Registered
339 Posts
Several Possible causes

Hi all. New on here but would like to ask about my 2012 Traverse problem that just started. While driving on a decent road at maybe 40 mph the following indications popped up. "Traction Control is off", Check "Stabil-Trak". That was bad enough but then I noticed the engine would die if I pressed the throttle down too far (like climbing a hill). What is this? Can the engine cut out do to something like wheel speed sensor error?
Lynn
Unfortunately it can be several possible causes. Bad ECM Bad Wheel Sensor, Mass Air Flow sensor, sticking throttle body. A bad wheel sensor would probably generate a Check Engine Light code though. Check your throttle body and make sure it is nice and clean and free. Make sure the air intake snorkel is clean as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Front, left sensor replaced. Problem came right back They will try the rear impact sensor but I have lost my confidence. The impact sensors can cut off the engine I understand but can that cause all the messages that I am getting about "Stabil-Trac"?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Clean the throttle body thoroughly -- and see if it happens again. Often when the stepper motor on the throttle body starts to get sticky due to oil contamination, the ECM gets "confused" and will pop the "Stabili-Trac" light.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts