Traverse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am loving my traverse but we travel and unless we havent figured it out yet - the back seats do not fully recline (we had a chrysler town and country and they went way back) The traverse 2nd row captains chairs barely tilt back - is there something we are missing????

thanks for any help!! :thumb:

·
Registered
860 Posts
Nope--same as our 2010. They only lean back about 6-8 inches max. It doesn't make any difference to me though.

Enjoy that new Traverse!! Ours saved me from buying a minivan!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
No they only go so far. The back 3rd row seats are raised slightly so the seat back would just hit them even if they went back further.

The mini vans pull it off by putting in a smaller seats. As where theses have larger seats. Even the back seat has a large seat pad.

The fact is this is not a minivan. It's seats are built more in line with a car/suv. So it is following those rules.

We love out Traverse. I'm with Toddzilla67 I will not buy a minivan let alone drive one.

These just get compared to them so much since they have so much more space than any ove the old SUV's it's size.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
They seem to recline enough for my passengers to really like them.

A

·
0 Posts
I think it's a safety thing; consider if you were fully reclined in the 2nd row and had a side impact collision; the curtain airbags wouldn't offer you any protection

·
Registered
860 Posts
I will agree with our moderator that this is a safety issue. However, the front seats will recline much further than the 2nd row seats will. Why is that?

Let's sidestep the side airbags and a side impact for just a second.

If one were fully reclined in the front passenger seat and the driver (traveling at anything above about 35 MPH) were to hit a stationary object fairly head-on (car, bridge abutment, jersey barrier, etc), the lap and shoulder belts would also provide substantially less protection. In fact, the belts themselves may cause more severe injuries than if the passenger were in a more upright seating position.

Although we are all used to the convenience/comfort of a reclining seat, why allow any of the seats to recline more than the 2nd row seats do?

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
Page 3-8 of my 2010 manual- specifically has a pic of a person in the reclined position- seat belt clearly away from body and a big circle and slash mark.
Warning-- not to drive with seats reclined says the manual

·
Registered
860 Posts
At the risk of getting off-topic...

Per the manual, operators of this vehicle have been put on notice not to drive the vehicle with anyone in the vehicle reclined so that the seat belts are not able to perform as intended (protect the passenger). I suppose there are instances where people need to pull off the road and rest awhile which is why this reclining feature still exists.

But have just one (negligent) person not thoroughly read the manual (or have no common sense) and this is a lawsuit waiting to happen. A re-design of the seat mechanism or a gear-shift selector lock-out feature directly connected to the seat-back position could serve as a solution to prevent the public-at-large from injuring themselves. It would still be a bad idea for a passenger to be fully reclined even if the shoulder belt could be in contact with the passenger.

Back on topic...

The 2010 manual clearly shows how not to use the seats and has a warning right next to the picture. GM has put the information forth and I think it's good advice...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts