Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife took the Traverse to work in the morning. In the evening I get a call that it doesn't start. Had it towed it to a reputable repair shop. This is their report:

UPON INVESTIGATION:
  • CHECK ENGINE LIGHT - DIAG
  • B3031, B3055, B3060, B3935, R0017, P008, P0615 -
  • THE P0615 - RELAY CIRCUIT FAULT - TESTED WIRING FROM ECM TO START - GOOD
- HOWEVER - OUR ASSUMPTION (WITH THIS CODE P0615 )
THERE IS A CONNECTIVITY ISSUE FROM ONE OF THE "PINS"
FOR THE CONNECTOR(S). THE PIN COULD BE SLIGHTLY
PUSHED OUT INTERNALLY (INSIDE THE CM) WHERE IT WAS
NOT CONNECTING TO THE PLUG- BUT- WHEN WE PLUGGED
THE ECM BACK IN - THE VEHICLE STARTED UP JUST FINE -
INDICATING WHEN THE PLUG WAS PLUGGED IN AND
SECURED IT MADE CONTACT INSIDE THE ECM•
AS OF THIS MOMENT THE START UP ISSUE - IS FUNCTIONING
GOOD - WE DID CLEAR THE CODES AND TEST DROVE
- WITH THIS ASSUMPTION WE RECOMMEND REPLACING THE
ELECTRONIC CONTROL MODULE (THE MODULE CAN NOT BE
OPENED UP AND RE-PINNED)
PLEASE READ **** THE MODULE IS ON A BACK ORDER FROM
THE DEALER*****
- RECOMMEND CERTIFIED AUTO ELECTRIC FOR FURTHER
INVESTIGATION - AND - RECOMMENDATION - SINCE THEY ARE
STRICTLY ELECTRICAL THEY MIGHT HAVE ANOTHER VENDOR
OR SOLUTION TO THIS ISSUE
AND
-PROGRAM THE MODULE

Since they got it started again, I go to pick the vehicle up, got the keys...and it wouldn't start again, even though they got it started again by putting the ECM back in.

I got a refurbished ECM from a reputable company. Doesn't start. Reprogrammed the security system fine. Security lock icon no longer lights up and no security message on DIC. Doesn't start. Went through the process of reprogramming the key (not the fob). Doesn't start. Checked the ECM 1 circuit breaker and it looks fine. The battery is new and is fully charged. Dash, gauges, DIC, everything lights up fine. No turnover. Some humming sound at the start that lasts for 4 or so seconds. Interesting thing about when I went through reprogramming the security system, the cabin lights would not turn off for a long time, like 5 or 10 minutes, I'm not sure. Put the old ECM back in, same thing, everything lights up, no turn over from the starter, and the 4 second humming sound.

So now what?

Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
One possibility: In the fuse box under the glove compartment, check the PWR MODE fuse. If blown, car won't start. Use a meter or a test light. It can be bad, but look good to the eye.

·
Registered
988 Posts
The humming may be the fuel pump in the gas tank priming the fuel rail. The engine mounted fuel pump provides the high pressure for the injectors.
There have been instances where the Engine compartment fuse block assembly is loose and causes problems like this. Make sure the bolts connecting the plastic halves are snug. You can also take it apart and make sure all the pins are straight and even in order to mate with the opposite half.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The humming may be the fuel pump in the gas tank priming the fuel rail. The engine mounted fuel pump provides the high pressure for the injectors.
There have been instances where the Engine compartment fuse block assembly is loose and causes problems like this. Make sure the bolts connecting the plastic halves are snug. You can also take it apart and make sure all the pins are straight and even in order to mate with the opposite half.
OK, thank you very much, I'll check that out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bolts are snug, but the design of my engine compartment fuse block does not have pins on the cover.

·
Registered
2015 Traverse LT AWD
284 Posts
The fuse box under the hood in a traverse is made up with two halves. The top half has the pins extended out at the bottom and the bottom half are female receptors. It is known the bolt that holds both halves together came loose or some of the pins are not making good contact with the receptors thus causing electrical problems.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The fuse box under the hood in a traverse is made up with two halves. The top half has the pins extended out at the bottom and the bottom half are female receptors. It is known the bolt that holds both halves together came loose or some of the pins are not making good contact with the receptors thus causing electrical problems.
So are you talking about the circled clips? Because there is no bolt that hold the two halves together, just these clips.
Peripheral Input device Automotive tire Audio equipment Gadget

·
Registered
2015 Traverse LT AWD
284 Posts
Remove the fuse box cover, remove the +ve cable and loosen two bolts on top (no need to take them out). Check out this video at 1:55 mark. It shows you how to separate the fuse box into two halves. Before doing so, I would disconnect the battery first as shown at the beginning of the video.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Remove the fuse box cover, remove the +ve cable and loosen two bolts on top (no need to take them out). Check out this video at 1:55 mark. It shows you how to separate the fuse box into two halves. Before doing so, I would disconnect the battery first as shown at the beginning of the video.

Why would one replace the torque strut engine mount? What are the symptoms when it's bad?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Could be a bad starter. We had one replaced in our 2012 when my wife was left stranded. Got it towed to the shop and it started when they tried it. It had occasionally seemed weak to start prior to this. The shop had recommended ECM and claimed to have codes for security related issues, but the car was again starting properly and they couldn't reproduce the problem. Since we had had the weak start issues previously, I asked them to replace the starter. They argued pretty strongly that they didn't think it was the starter, but if I really wanted it changed, they would change it. I told them to change the starter, and if it happens again, then we can deal with the electronics. This was 6 years ago, and we haven't had a failure to start since.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts