Traverse Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 LTZ with 62k miles. Was driving to work when I noticed the temp gauge at about the 245 mark. Immediately pulled over and the coolant reservoir was dry. Added a gallon of water on hand but that did not seem to even help at all. It came down to about 220 but red - lined about 1 minute later. Pulled over again, reservoir still full of water. I chanced it that it would come back down and pulled back onto interstate. No luck. Engine Hot A/C off indicator came on. I turned off the A/C because this indicator did not actually do it automatically. Temp returned to normal in 2 minutes. Turned A/C back on to see what would happen and the engine temp stayed normal. It did not go back up until I stopped the car at my destination.

Any idea? TIA

·
Registered
350 Posts
The fact that your reservoir was dry should be an indication that there is some sort of leak some where... Waterpump? You should let the entire engine cool and check the actual radiator for coolant levell, as there may now be air in the system... Another issue could be the thermostat or leak in the radiator, especially now that it's been over heated (although not that bad)...

Hopefully it's just low coolant caused by a leaky water pump... My 2002 Venture had a coolant leak in the head gasket, and that was a costly repair...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Checked the water level and it was almost completely full after 6.5 hours of no use. Drove home like normal, A/C on. It ran fine for about 5 minutes on the interstate at 75 mph, but started ticking up on the temp. Turned A/C off, it came back down to normal. Even with the A/C off it started ticking up a little bit but never got above 225 or so. It seemed like the faster I drove, the lower it stayed. It idles at 225. Since the A/C was off, there should be no condensation or anything dripping...but I do see a steady trickle on the passenger side once I got home, which is where I know the water pump is located. The reservoir level also dropped about 1 inch or so.So I'm guessing the pump is bad?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Probably a good guess, if your leaking and overheating, then that's the first place you should look...

Here's a recent / related post over on acadiaforum.com (it ended up being water pump):
http://www.acadiaforum.net/index.php?topic=23298.msg325761;topicseen#new

scottybo said:
...but I do see a steady trickle on the passenger side once I got home, which is where I know the water pump is located. The reservoir level also dropped about 1 inch or so. So I'm guessing the pump is bad?

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Hi scottybo,

Oh no! I do apologize that you are in your current vehicle situation. Can I be of any assistance? Please contact me via private message anytime!

Jennifer T.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DVelasco68 said:
Probably a good guess, if your leaking and overheating, then that's the first place you should look...

Here's a recent / related post over on acadiaforum.com (it ended up being water pump):
It seemed like that was the recall years from 08-10. I have been doing homework on the issue since this morning's occurrence and the issue was supposedly fixed in the latter part of the 10's.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
I would also change the oil.
If youve driven it hot a few times--- the oil was doing some of the cooling.
Degraded oil life... did you see the OLM drop in life?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was only above 225 for about 4-5 minutes total. Engine oil is only about 6 weeks old, full-synthetic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was the water pump covered by your warranty? I had almost the exact same situation happy to me yesterday, with 67k miles. I made it to the dealership but had to leave it overnight.

Really hoping it's covered under warranty, or at least not too expensive of a repair.

Thanks!

·
Registered
718 Posts
Water pump is covered. Had it replaced on our 2011. Had a big puddle of coolant on the garage floor after parking it one day. Drove it over to the dealer that night and it was fixed the next morning.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
purduein98 said:
Was the water pump covered by your warranty? I had almost the exact same situation happy to me yesterday, with 67k miles. I made it to the dealership but had to leave it overnight.

Really hoping it's covered under warranty, or at least not too expensive of a repair.

Thanks!
You water pump is covered up to 120,000.
The only thing you may pay for is an oil change.... if you overheated.. the dealer MAY change the oil.
(when overheat occurs/coolant loss) the oil acts as a coolant.

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
purduein98 said:

Thanks!
It looks like you've already gotten your answer, purduein98. Please let us know how everything turns out with the dealership. Send us your VIN via private message if there's anything we can do to further assist.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

1 - 16 of 16 Posts