Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2011 1LT today, and noticed that in the manual a PF63 is listed as the oil filter. I haven't been able to find any information on it anywhere (or compatible other brands). Typo in the manual and it should be a 48, or am I missing something? Dealer isn't open again until Monday, but I figured someone here would know.

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
Wow, that is very interesting. What would be more interesting, is if the PF63 filter fits on the 2009-2010 Traverse. Then I would wonder what the difference is. Maybe a bigger filter, to give better flow?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Quantum said:
Wow, that is very interesting. What would be more interesting, is if the PF63 filter fits on the 2009-2010 Traverse.
+1

Nowhere have we ever heard that the 2011 engine is any different than that found in MY 09 and 10. We need more info.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I can't find any info on it. I wonder if they made it smaller so it is easier to remove. Or did they change the angle so it doesn't make a mess when you take it off. Someone with a 2011 has to look and take a picture.

·
Registered
994 Posts
BigBlueTraverse said:
Or did they change the angle so it doesn't make a mess when you take it off.
But the angle doesnt or wouldn't need to affect the actual filter...would it?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll take a picture and get it posted when I get a chance. It looks to be at the same angle as the 2010's, and the same size as well. Thanks to all who have responded so far.

·
Registered
272 Posts
This is interesting, has anyone tried to lookup the filter for dimensions for a comparison?

·
Registered
312 Posts
jwhjr - welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Traverse! :thumb:

·
Registered
465 Posts
It might be a new model with a larger capacity for the filterelement .

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
I wonder what the dimensions are. (longer?).
I just changed my oil yesterday and used a PF-48- and thought--- little filter.
But from UOA- the PF-48 does a very good job at filtering.

Ill keep my eye on this new filter- hopefully some info will come out on it.
In the meantime- Ill keep using the PF-48- as its easily availalble at Wal Mart.

I also referenced the ACdelco site... and no info.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also posted this on another Chevy site, and it sounds like the PF63 is currently available only through the Service Dept at the dealership. I won't need to change the oil for the first time for at least a month, so hopefully it will be more widely available by then. I use Amsoil filters usually, but they probably won't have anything by then so I'll go with the Delco one.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I found this GM part # for the filter 89017525, this is for the PF63 which I found in a Saturn owners manual for the 3.5L V6. so the filter is not a new one, its been used in the past. The 3.6L in the same Saturn uses the PF48. Just more pieces to the puzzle.

·
Registered
139 Posts
kawazar said:
I found this GM part # for the filter 89017525, this is for the PF63 which I found in a Saturn owners manual for the 3.5L V6. so the filter is not a new one, its been used in the past. The 3.6L in the same Saturn uses the PF48. Just more pieces to the puzzle.
I just checked my 05 VUE with the 3.5L, (L66 engine, which is a HONDA) owners manual and the part # for the oil filter is 12582255 ( Saturn #), AC # is PF-2057. Maybe the newer VUEs use a different #? The easiest thing might be to go to WM and look at a PF-63 and compair it to a PF-48.

·
Registered
381 Posts
jwhjr said:
it sounds like the PF63 is currently available only through the Service Dept at the dealership.
I also saw a report on another website that it was available at Walmart.......

Some PF-63 specs from the BITOG link I posted:
Purolator cross reference L22500, 2.98 x 4.08 in, M22 x 1.5 threads, relief valve and anti drainback valve.

Info about the Fram PF48 equivalent (used for reference only, please hold the spam)
Product type: full-flow lube spin-on Threads: 22mmx1.5mm Th'd
Anti-Drain valve: yes
Gasket: ID 2.45" OD: 2.76"
Gasket thickness: 0.19"
Product height: 3" Relieve valve setting: 9-12 PSI

·
Registered
465 Posts
Great info on this new filter....

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
andylibby said:
jwhjr - welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Traverse! :thumb:
Thank you. We purchased it for my wife's daily driver, I'm still driving my 04 Silverado. She loves it so far, and the kids do too. :)

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I'm just wondering if they angled it down that would require a shorter filter. Waiting to see a picture so hope someone takes one soon ha ha.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I finally got around to snapping a couple of pictures.

From the top:

From underneath:

While crawling around underneath, I was able to see the label on the filter. On it states: Replace w/PF48. Mystery solved I guess unless they end up coming out with a PF63 at some point. Thanks to all who have been participating ;D

1 - 20 of 137 Posts