Traverse Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a week ago, I was filling up my tank and when I started the engine, I got the check engine light. I took it right over to Autozone and they scanned it and found the P2176. They looked it up and gave me a printout. At the time, it said one of the most common cause for my vehicle and this code was a bad battery. My Traverse has 166k miles now and we were still on the first battery. I have had this vehicle in a couple of shops where the battery was tested (this Autozone late last year) and at a Tires Plus (to do an alignment). Both tested at the points under the hood, but then I had our AAA battery guy come out to check the actual battery behind the passenger seat. Each time they said the battery tested just fine and they said that the test points under the hood don’t always give a clear result. So I didn’t change the battery then. This time I called AAA again and bit the bullet and swapped out the battery. Since the battery cable was disconnected for about 5 minutes, this cleared the check engine light.

I was able to drive the car for about a week (quite a few miles actually) with no errors or check engine light. Then yesterday my wife was driving and got something like ECM fuse bad. The vehicle went into Limp mode and she was able to drive it to work (about 3 miles away). She later left work and it started without any problems and went into normal gear. She went back to Autozone and they ran the codes again. Got P2176 again and it said Throttle Actuator Control System Idle Position Not Learned.

I watched youtube last night and found something on excess oil in the big “hose” between air filter and intake. It said the oil comes from the PCV valve and breather valve and can cause the P2176. The fix is pretty cheap and easy, so I’m going to try this and clean out the hoses with throttle body and air intake spray (and let it dry) and replace the PCV and breather valves (since mine are original from 2011).

Anyone have this error code and were able to get rid of it this way?

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Got the light on my 2011, cleaned the throttle body, not much oil in the hose, light went out. Don't know the code.

BUT: Irrespective of the oil issue, if your 2011 was built in fall 2010, your battery is almost 8-1/2 years old. You're on borrowed time on the battery. Pat yourself on the back for getting such a long life out of it and then replace it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the light on my 2011, cleaned the throttle body, not much oil in the hose, light went out. Don't know the code.

BUT: Irrespective of the oil issue, if your 2011 was built in fall 2010, your battery is almost 8-1/2 years old. You're on borrowed time on the battery. Pat yourself on the back for getting such a long life out of it and then replace it.
I just ordered the PCV valve and breather and some throttle body spray and will replace/clean these as well as replace the air filter.

On the battery, I did buy a new battery from AAA last week (we can buy batteries with installation here in Colorado from AAA). I decided that being in the cold winter months with temps in the 20s or lower overnight until about late April, it would be most prudent to replace it. We just had our first brake job done last year at about 160,000 miles as well (on our 2008 impala we are at 120,000 miles on the first brake job, too).

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
You dont have to disconnect the battery.
Just make sure you do not have the keys in the ignition.
As far as the TB is not energized.... you can move the plate back and forth to clean/spray.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
I didn't mean due to energy, I always disconnect it to let the computer relearn the new, cleaner throttle body. But maybe I'm wrong, in which case I stand corrected.

ahhh got it.
Yeah this was very popular on the trailblazers. if your TB was dirty- and it learned stuff to make up for the dirtiness, and you disconnected the battery- it lost all the learned settings.
and operated like crap when used again.
it didnt operate nicely with factory specs and a dirty TB,
the fix was to disconnect, clean, and then reconnect. clean TB- worked well with factory specs.

Though I have not see it come up as it did on the trailblazer forums..... I understand your train of thought and is correct. Especially if youve disconnected before without cleaning.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Curious…I have a 2008 Chevy Impala with about 120k miles. Wondering if this (just the clean out of the hoses/throttle body) should be done on this car as well?

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
dont know what engine is in there etc...
But Id look and clean.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dont know what engine is in there etc...
But Id look and clean.
It’s a 3.9L V6, and I think the air filter orientation is similar to the 3.6L, so I will look it over next time (soon) I do the oil/filter and air filter change.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
ohhhh, the 3.9, Yeah we had a 2007 Impala with the 3.9 (with AFM).

I do remember cleaning the TB.

I dont recall finding oil in the tube.
I also dont recall disconnecting battery.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, I purchased both a new PCV valve and breather valve but hadn't installed them yet. Was going to do that along with changing out the air filter and change the oil as it was due. Yesterday I was driving locally (slower speeds) and a message to the effect of Service Stabilitrak system soon (and light came on) and traction control turned off (could not turn back on) and also got the reduced speed warning. I only had to drive about 2 miles to the library and turned the vehicle off and left it for about 2 hours. Came back out and started it and the warning came up again, but went away a few minutes after and has stayed off since. Turns out my wife had the exact same warning maybe 4 times in the last month. I did not see a check engine light or ABS light come on, just Stabilitrak light.

Today I bought a two cans of Seafoam fuel additive and added about a third of a can to the oil and the rest to the gas tank. I changed the oil after driving the vehicle maybe 20 miles and removed the hose between throttle body and air filter and noticed a brown liquid that looked more like diarrhea. Nothing in the hose from the PCV valve, but I sprayed it with throttle body cleaner. I did my best to clean the hose with the brown liquid, using a bunch of paper towels and throttle body cleaner. I think Simple Green would have been better, but didn't want to add that as the vapor or residue might stick around. I did not remove throttle body as I didn't have a lot of time, but sprayed it down a bunch and I think I cleaned it pretty well. The replacement breather valve (at the back of the engine) had the same size holes as the original, so I drilled it out with the correct sized drill bits and installed it. Put everything back together and I hope I don't get the Stabilitrak message again. But if I do, I may remove the throttle body and give it a really good cleaning and replace the throttle body sensor.

If I have to replace the throttle body sensor, I've heard I would need to take it to the GM dealership and pay them to have the Traverse "relearn the settings". Is there any way that I can do this myself? Is there a Bluetooth OBD2 type scanner that I can connect to my Samsung Galaxy that will allow for this? Is there another way for the Traverse to relearn or should I just bite the bullet and pay the dealership or maybe Tires Plus (local chain) to do this?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thought I would give an update as I was getting a Stabilitrak message:

Well, after replacing the throttle body (there was a throttle body related error, though), it didn't get rid of the Stabilitrak message, but after that I was getting Service Brake System message. So after searching the Traverse forum and the Acadia forum, I noticed that if the brake fluid is low it can throw this message. So I checked and found the brake fluid was a bit low. So I filled it to the line and after that so far I have not noticed a Stabilitrak or Service Brake message. I drove it a total of maybe 250 miles so far without the messages popping up. Now it looks like I have a brake fluid leak (probably master cylinder). So I will keep an eye on the level and see how slowly the brake fluid is leaking. We had our first brake job last summer (150,000 miles) where they replaced the pads and rear rotors (not front as it did not seem to need it), but did not flush the brake fluid system. If the leak is slow, I will just keep an eye on it and just top it off until it gets worse.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
hose between throttle body and air filter and noticed a brown liquid that looked more like diarrhea.

for others reading this.
Normally- if oil pools in the tube it will be a little black.
If the ambient conditions have been humid.
If youve done alot of driving through rain (100 % humidity)--- then the oil will mix with air and moisture and youll get this brown oily mixture,

In 148,000 miles. only 2 times did I get the milkshake/diarrhea mixture.
Both times when I was on 4000 mile roadtrip and encountered hours of driving through rain.

All other times- the oil was essentially black.
Then I did the PCV mod- and have not had oil in the tube for 20K miles.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
for others reading this.
Normally- if oil pools in the tube it will be a little black.
If the ambient conditions have been humid.
If youve done alot of driving through rain (100 % humidity)--- then the oil will mix with air and moisture and youll get this brown oily mixture,

In 148,000 miles. only 2 times did I get the milkshake/diarrhea mixture.
Both times when I was on 4000 mile roadtrip and encountered hours of driving through rain.

All other times- the oil was essentially black.
Then I did the PCV mod- and have not had oil in the tube for 20K miles.

Rbarrios,

Regarding the PCV mod, not sure what you mean by this. I didn’t do anything to the plastic PCV valve. I did drill out the metal (I think it is a breather valve) in the back (hard to get to, part made of aluminum). Is the metal valve the part you are talking about?

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
yes, the PCV mod I referred to was buying the new valve, and drilling out the holes so they are bigger.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes, the PCV mod I referred to was buying the new valve, and drilling out the holes so they are bigger.
OK, so maybe I'm not referring to these parts correctly. Is the aluminum valve that sits near the back (that I drilled out) the PCV valve? If so, what is the plastic valve called near the front of the engine with the shorter hose going to the wide hose between the throttle body and air filter? Is that the breather valve? I basically purchased both valves new and drilled out the aluminum valve (PCV valve).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thought I would give an update. Had replaced the throttle body over a month ago. That got rid of a throttle body message. But still got the Stabilitrak message and another to the tune of check braking system. Then I read on this site that if your brake fluid is low, it can trigger the Stabilitrak message. So I checked the brake fluid, which was a bit low (had brakes done in July of 2018), so I topped it off. No more Stabilitrak message. And the it looks like the brake fluid hasn't dropped much. I may have a very slow leak, which I will keep an eye on.

So also keep an eye on brake fluid levels when you get the Stabilitrak message along with a check or service brake system.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts