Traverse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2011 Traverse. Truck has been terrific. Has 187,000 on it, but have been driving with check engine light on for nearly two years now and registration is coming up. Won't pass emissions (I'm in NY) without the converter being fixed. Dealer told me $1800, which seems really high and more than is worth investing in a truck with this mileage. Is that reasonable or should I be able to get it replaced for less than that?

Thanks for any help.

GH

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
GM wants upwards of $500-700 each for the converter itself (there are two of them), plus 5.4 hrs labor for both (although it's probably less than 5.4 hrs, they'll charge you for that). AutoZone want's $330 or less each for the converters.

I'd try someplace other than a GM dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So get the converters then have my mechanic do the install...I'm good with my hands when it comes to home repair and building. Cars, I'm regrettably without a clue or I'd do it myself.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have a 2011 Traverse. Truck has been terrific. Has 187,000 on it, but have been driving with check engine light on for nearly two years now and registration is coming up. Won't pass emissions (I'm in NY) without the converter being fixed. Dealer told me $1800, which seems really high and more than is worth investing in a truck with this mileage. Is that reasonable or should I be able to get it replaced for less than that?

Thanks for any help.

GH
Advance auto has the buy one get free on fuel system cleaner. Get two bottles and use premium shell fuel to mix it all in. Clear the codes and drive around for 50 miles or more. Check I/M status if you have a scanner and go pass emissions. BTW not sure about NY but the evap system ready is not required to be ready in some states. Worse case scenario you spent $20 bucks and cleaned your fuel system in the process.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts