Traverse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the forum, and joined because I need some help!

We have a 2011 AWD traverse (110K miles). My wife generally drives the car and started to notice some vibration. She took it into the dealership and they said it needs a new transmission!! After talking to some people at work, they suggested that it was a torque converter problem, that wouldn't get worse and doesn't need to be fixed. We then tried a different shop. So we took it to a local shop and they said the transmission is not bad, but that the "Rear PTO output bearing is bad needs to be replaced drive shaft has play and moves around. Remove and install used transfer case"

After driving around and paying close attention, I have noticed 2 issues:
1-When driving straight, and with mild acceleration, there is some shuddering, seems to be from front of car. Intermittent, most of the time it isn't present.
2-When driving straight, there is a small sound a vibration, similar to going over some mild rumble strips. Also somewhat intermittent, but more then 1.

So I suspect that 1 might be the torque converter shudder, which I don't think requires any maintenance. The 2nd issue may be this bad transfer case.

My question to all of the wise and experienced people on the forum, what do you think? Is ignoring torque converter shuddering fine? What is this "rear PTO output bearing" that requires a new transfer case? Is that reasonable to replace?

And just a general question, should we sell the car? Should we anticipate continuing issues as the car ages? Maybe now is the time to sell? If we do sell, should we make fixes first, or just sell it as is (disclosing that there might be some issues)?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I can only give you advice on our experience with our 2011 Traverse. Since getting it about two years ago, we noticed a shudder at about 50 km/h, sometimes. Always went away when going to higher speeds. It is still there, intermittent. It has never gotten worse, and hasn't caused us any concern.

We did have a rumble as well, caused by a bad wheel bearing in the rear. We knew that when we got it, and the replacement fixed that problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2015 traverse and at about 58000 miles I think it was a year ago, I had that shudder and it was the torque converter. Chevy seemed surprised that it was that on this year model, which made me think they had a lot of those issues with earlier models. It was still under warranty so they took the transmission apart and replaced it. If I had to pay it would have been $3700. I only have 69000 miles on it now but wonder if I will have the same issue again one day. I had another part that was cheap and easy to replace done that they had sent a notice out about but were not replaciing it until you had an issue. I don't recall what it was called, but what happened is when I stopped for gas it would not re-start. I had to let it sit awhile. Of course it happened when I was traveling and I was worried all of my vacation. I am concerned about having more issues with bad parts but for now I don't want to sell it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a 2015 traverse and at about 58000 miles I think it was a year ago, I had that shudder and it was the torque converter. Chevy seemed surprised that it was that on this year model, which made me think they had a lot of those issues with earlier models. It was still under warranty so they took the transmission apart and replaced it. If I had to pay it would have been $3700. I only have 69000 miles on it now but wonder if I will have the same issue again one day. I had another part that was cheap and easy to replace done that they had sent a notice out about but were not replaciing it until you had an issue. I don't recall what it was called, but what happened is when I stopped for gas it would not re-start. I had to let it sit awhile. Of course it happened when I was traveling and I was worried all of my vacation. I am concerned about having more issues with bad parts but for now I don't want to sell it.
The cheap part that you mentioned is the "Special Coverage Program 18029" which covers the purge valve. The dealership will replace it if the problem shows up on your vehicle. I had the purge valve replaced on my 2015 model in April, 2020. It only took the dealership 15 minutes to replace it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, the purge valve. Online shows easy to do yourself on that too. I had gotten the notice a year before I had the issue and forgot about it and when I called they didn't mention the coverage, but when I brought it in luckily someone looked it up and found that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts