Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and have been looking around at a new SUV/Crossover type vehicle since neither of us wanted a mini van. After test driving our choices we have decided that we both like the Traverse the most. We haven't looked at pricing much, besides the few examples the dealer gave us after our test drive and what I have done on the Chevy site. I was just curious as to what sort of wiggle room or negotiation can take place. I am horrible at talking down the price.

We have decided we want the 2LT, Leather Seats, Connectivity Package, Trailering Package, and Nav/DVD Package. The two that they were able to find during a rushed search. . . we were going to the Ford dealership to check out the new Explorer. This dealer is located in Northwest Ohio in the Toledo area.

Model Year: 2011
Trim Level: 2LT, AWD (Connectivity Package, Leather Seats, Nav/DVD, Trailering Package, Red Jewel Tintcoat)
MSRP: $43,615
Incentives received: GMC Loyalty ($1,000)
Price Paid after incentives: $42,615
Dealer Price: $41,699

Model Year: 2011
Trim Level: 2LT, AWD (Connectivity Package, Leather Seats, Nav/DVD, Trailering Package, Red Jewel Tintcoat, Dual Sunroof)
MSRP: $45,015
Incentives received: GMC Loyalty ($1,000)
Price Paid after incentives: $44,015
Dealer Price: $42,899

Both of these offer $2,000 back or 0% for 5 years. I know there has to be a little more room to negotiate than what he has given us here. These prices include a destination charge of $775, but do not include Tax and License. Plus the second one has an additional $1,400 for the sunroof we don't want, but there is only a difference of $800 between the two. Something I don't understand. We haven't attempted to negotiate, but I'm curious as to what a reasonable price would be. We should be able to get the same car from another dealer if we don't like the pricing from this one right? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
if you have a credit union- try looking it up to see if its on the GM credit union pricing. they may knock off a little bit more. but the other rebates still apply.

When I salesman really wants to make a sale- they may even recommend you join a local credit union deposit their minimum deposit (some places are like $5)--- and then you get the discount.

Like I said- it may not be much--- but it all adds up.

https://www.mygmdiscount.com

Buddy of mine- we went to get a silverado W/T. We found a w/t with the V6- with a few extras added (carpet, cloth, chrome grille and bumper) we did the credit union pricing, then applied for the financing via Ally/GMAC to get an extra $1000 off--- and since it was truck month an additional $3000....
(when he got his 1st payment he paid off the truck).
but this was smart on his part.. the W/T as stripped down work trucks. No onstar and fancy stuff. just a basic truck with a V6.... so its much lower price than the regular silverado V8's LS. so he got a new truck for a very nice price.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Find out what supplier pricing is. That seems to be a middle ground between sticker and what GM employees get. We get the GM discount and bought under the PEP (preffered employee pricing) program which are vehicles that the office people drive at GM. Our Traverse had 3,600 miles on it when we picked it up. We bought a 2011 Traverse LTZ sticker price was just above $49,000 and with the PEP discount we paid $33,800.

·
Registered
139 Posts
ryansandrapowell said:
Find out what supplier pricing is. That seems to be a middle ground between sticker and what GM employees get. We get the GM discount and bought under the PEP (preffered employee pricing) program which are vehicles that the office people drive at GM. Our Traverse had 3,600 miles on it when we picked it up. We bought a 2011 Traverse LTZ sticker price was just above $49,000 and with the PEP discount we paid $33,800.
WOW, you stole it :cheers:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes and the nice part is you can use all current incentives when you use the PEP program. The price I listed earlier was with a 100,000 mile warranty in it tax, title and plates. There is not a cheaper price you will get.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like I need to do a lot more research. We are still trying to decipher the models and the options that are associated with each. Once we find exactly what we are looking for, then I think I'll have to explore the pricing a little more.

Looking at the differences between the LTZ and the 2LT with the options we want, and I'm trying to decide whether the 2LT or the LTZ would be a better option. We would like the heated/cooled seats of the LTZ, but don't need everything else that it offers. I don't think the $3,500 extra between models is justified for us.

I am a member of a credit union, but I don't know how to tell whether or not they have GM pricing. I've looked at the website rbarrios posted, but I think I need to look a little more into it. I am supposed to talk to the dealer tomorrow about what we are looking for and possible pricing. So we will see where that goes. Thanks for the advice so far. I really do appreciate it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went to the site, entered my Credit Union from back home in California, and it gave me an authorization number. It didn't state what the actual discount was though. I guess I will have to present it to the dealer and find out. Anything helps right now. I only have about $2,000 in incentives so far since we will most likely be taking the 0% over the $2,000 cash back. So hopefully the Credit Union Membership and my trade in can take it down a little more.

Thanks for the suggestions rbarrios, I really do appreciate it.

After chatting with the GM rep online, I guess the Credit Union Membership gives you Supplier Pricing. With the model and options I chose, it took it from $43,220 down to $41,293. I can use the other incentives at the same time as Supplier Pricing. Hopefully I can get a few more, to bring the price down more. Would it still be possible to negotiate even more, after these incentives are used?

·
Registered
3 Posts
--
ryansandrapowell said:
Yes and the nice part is you can use all current incentives when you use the PEP program. The price I listed earlier was with a 100,000 mile warranty in it tax, title and plates. There is not a cheaper price you will get.
We have been shopping for a Traverse for about a month now. We found one with the options we wanted LT1 with remote start and trailer package. When we got to the price it was pretty right on with the GMfamilyfirst web-site. However, while looking at the familyfirst web-site we found and tagged a traverse MSRP of around 36,000 and PEP 3 price because it has 12,000 miles is 30,900. When we went back to the dealer they said it is not eligible for ANY of the incentives. We are talking about close to $5000 in incentives (with the EVA) so this is a really big deal to us. $2000 cash back, $1000 owner loyalty and $750 in GM card earnings. The web-site clearly states that the PEP price can be combined with current incentives and that it may not be available with the EVA ($1500). Very frustrating that the dealer is telling us one thing and the web-site something different. How can we tell for sure?? Dealer says this is coming from "Regional VP".....any thoughts??

·
Registered
186 Posts
hey jfdpratt - if its not too late, don't forget the USAA $750 discount...go on their website and sign up, print out a confirmation # and proof of membership, and you do NOT have to be a member of the military to join. And remember, the dealer wants to sell you a car REAL BAD. DON'T be afraid to politely leave if you think you can do better...down the street, you just might be able to.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can just become a member of USAA even if I don't get insurance through them? I will have to look into this. I am prior military, so I should be able to get a membership. Just not sure if I have to do anything else. I will check it out though. Thanks.

·
Registered
718 Posts
FYI - the last couple of new vehicles I've purchased, the dealers first offer was already lower than supplier pricing so it hasn't made a difference for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
We just bought the Traverse with the incentives in the PEP program. It is true the EVA is not available in the PEP program. Most dealerships try to keep away from PEP vehicles since they make nothing on them. Go to another dealership. Our experience with the dealership was awful. They did not even clen the car before we bought it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jwhjr said:
FYI - the last couple of new vehicles I've purchased, the dealers first offer was already lower than supplier pricing so it hasn't made a difference for me.
Maybe I need to find another dealer then. Like I said, I haven't really started to bargain with the dealer, but I don't feel as though I got a deal. If you look at the first post, you will see the 'deal' I was getting. The dealer has only offered about $1,000 off of MSRP. That is why I was wondering what to expect. If they are selling well, I understand that they aren't going to budge much. I was expecting a little more than $1,000 though, so that initiated my search for every incentive I can find. I think I will try and bargain first, then if that doesn't work I'll ask for the supplier pricing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks ryansandrapowell, we just wanted to know for sure there was someone out there who had received incentives with the PEP pricing. We have since gotten the dealer to agree that it does qualify for everything except the EVA (which we knew) but they are saying it could cost up to $500 to have the vehicle delivered from Michigan to Kansas. Is the $775.00 destination charge listed on the invoice not for delivery of the vehicle?? How long should we expect to wait for delivery of the vehicle??

Also, FYI-the GM family first web-site would not even tell us if the vehicle qualified for the incentives, they would only discuss incentive options with the dealer directly. SO FRUSTRATING!!!! I understand the dealer wants to make money on the deal, but if they would just be up front about it I think we would be a little less suspicious!

Here is the deal we are getting:
2011 Traverse LT1 with 12,856 miles
Options: premium cloth interior, 2nd row captains chairs, heated front seats, personal connectivity package (remote start, bluetooth, etc.) DVD rear seat entertainment, Bose surround sound, tri-zone climate control, 115V power outlet, USB port, trailering package
PEP3 pricing-- 30,169.65 and after rebates and incentives (including $750 GM card earnings) final price 26,419.65

We think that is still a heck of a deal, even if they do charge us $500 to get it here.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
That sounds like a very good price but is it going to be titled as a new vehicle? I know usually you can not get incentives on a used vehicle, but I wonder if this being a PEP purchase GM allows the extra incentives.

I'm asking because the 12000 miles is kind of high for a 5 or 6 month old car. Are you getting all of the bumper to bumper warranty (36/36) or will the 12000 be counted against it?

Just something you may want to make sure of.

·
Registered
193 Posts
jfdpratt said:
I can just become a member of USAA even if I don't get insurance through them? I will have to look into this. I am prior military, so I should be able to get a membership. Just not sure if I have to do anything else. I will check it out though. Thanks.
Why wouldn't you want their insurance? Nobody beats their rates. When I used to get phone solicitors offering car insurance, all I had to do was say "I have USAA" and they would thank me and hang up!

I wasn't aware that non-military could join USAA. I know it hasn't always been that way, but the last time I checked was a VERY long time ago. I got an account through my dad when he was in the Navy and have maintained it ever since because I assumed the policy was still the same. I know it has saved me a TON of money over the years (not just on insurance, but car loans too). However, GEICO has better commercials. (The drill sargeant one makes me laugh EVERY time I think about it!)

A

·
0 Posts
Matno said:
Why wouldn't you want their insurance? Nobody beats their rates.
I have had State Farm since 1997; my wife used to work for a Farmer's agent and even with the discount; they couldn't beat State Farm. While I was on active duty; USAA couldn't beat State Farm. Not trying to throw rocks; just showing that someone can beat USAA

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I found that while I was active duty that State Farm had the best rates. I have been with State Farm since 1992 when I bought my first car. I had friends at the time that had USAA. I haven't looked into it since I have been happy with State Farm over the years, but if it will save me money I may have to check it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2011 2LT AWD Jeweled Red

Options:
· PERSONAL CONNECTIVITY PACKAGE (PCL)
· SEATS, HEATED DRIVER AND FRONT PASSENGER (KA1)
· SUNROOF, DUAL SKYSCAPE 2-PANEL POWER (C3U)
· TRAILERING EQUIPMENT (V92)
· EBONY, SEAT TRIM, LEATHER-APPOINTED SEATING ON FIRST AND SECOND ROWS (192)
· REAR ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM WITH USB PORT (PCN)

Here i my breakdown:

MSRP: $43,100
Invoice Price: $41,419
USAA Car Buying Program: $950 below invoice
My Price: $38,469

Incentive: $1000 Loyalty
GM Card Earnings: $1500
Incentive 2: 0% financing for 60 months

Final Price: $35,969 + tax, title, etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sounds like the same car the dealer offered me last night, except it had GPS and no Sunroof. It had an MSRP of $43,615. With incentives I think I can get it for a little under $40,000. The wife isn't to fond of red though, so the search continues.

The dealer did say that he had an Equinox in stock that was similar, and less expensive. I haven't done my research, but are there any big differences besides size? Out of curiosity I looked at one online this morning and could get it for about $6,000 less. Not that I'm thinking of changing my mind about the Traverse, but I was wondering if there were any huge differences.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts