Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been looking at buying a Traverse and have a couple of questions.

This past weekend the dealer we went to just got 4 new 2011 models. I asked the sales guy about differences between 2010 and 2011 and he had no clue (not the most knowledgeable guy about the product he is selling in general). I went to the chevy website and they only have info on the 2010 model. So does anyone know if there are any major differences between 2010 and 2011? Is there any compelling reason to hold out for 2011 model? Also, based on your experiences, would you expect Chevy to have better incentives in July to get rid of the 2010s?

Last question, the dealer we are looking at has the exact 2010 model we would want (2T w/sunroof and towing package) but it has like 950 miles on it, which seams high (it is not a demo, I guess just lots of test drives). Would you be concerned or expect any discount for a new car with 1k miles on it?
Thanks

G

·
Not sure what the incentives are for an 11 model as the websites are still pushing the 10 model. I would try and go for an 11. A vehicle with 950 miles on it is still treated as any other new vehicle on the lot. I wouldn't be too concerned with the mileage

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I guess I didn't post my other reply.

Power folding mirrors are being deleted

6 months OnStar turn by turn instead of 12 months

I also read somewhere that 19" tires were going to be the largest available

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
One of the forum members (rbarrios) had his vehicle arrive from the factory with a few hundred miles on the odometer. I believe there was a letter associated with it, stating that his vehicle was selected for emissions testing.

I'm sure that he will chime in here soon and fill you in on the details. Maybe that particular one was also tested by the factory? I'm pretty sure that rbarrios was given a rebate in the neighbourhood of $750 for the miles put on.

950 miles seems awfully high for a new car, even if it has been test driven a lot.

Does it have "TRAVERSE" or the GM chicklet on the door? What month was it manufactered? These are all indicators to when that Traverse was built, and how long it has been sitting there.

Personally I would not want a "test driven unit". Some people really see what a vehicle is capable of doing when the test drive it. The owner's manual states that the first 500 miles should be moderately driven and variable RPM. I would want to "break in" my new vehicle may way, and not by 30 different people that have driven it hard.

I am sure that it will still be a great vehicle, I'm just giving you some of my own opinions. And that's all that they are...my opinions.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
Though I didnt get a letter- the salesman informed me of the testing- and the GM rebate for the miles.
All other online research with VIN and help from a Spring hill worker and others that work at GM factories- point to it being one of the test vehicles.
You know when it rolls off the Semi with those miles- and the car is dust free etc--- it all points to it being tested on rollers etc.

But if you plan on keeping the 2010 for say 150,000 then you may be well off with a 2010- and getting rebates...
If you just want a new vehicle for about 3-4 yrs-- youre better off with a 2011- as it would have a slightly better resale value- because its newer....

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Yes the trend I have been seeing with the Traverse is GM keeps stripping off stuff. The 2009 LTZ had roof racks and the 2010 didn't. In fact they are an option now only for all. What else vanished HID lights and the heated windsheild washer of course we know why the took this off now "FIRE"

I would suspect the 2011 lost even more stuff. They needed customers back in 2009 now they are getting them they want their profits back I think.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
for 2010 the Projector lamps were available-- but only on a special edition model-- I think it was the spring edition...

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
currently 20's are still available on the 2011's- but only on the LTZ.

the other option is 18's.

19's are available on the Acadia and Enclave I believe.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
The other thing I'm seeing is higher price tags but only by a few hundred dollars more. The LS base looked the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the info and the link. I will talk to the dealer and try and figure out what is up with the miles.
As long as the answer is acceptable, I am leaning to the 10 since it has the options we want and maybe I can get a better deal. I usually keep cars for a long time.

·
Registered
417 Posts
2010 considerations - rebates are bigger (GM seems to be doing less rebates lately, especially on newer vehicles). If that one also has 900 miles on it, demand discount for a program vehicle. It's obviously used. If it's not tagged, it can still be sold as new, but someone has obviously driven it enough to asume a price reduction. If they won't do that, move on... There are other 2010's still out there. Onstar is still 1 year.

2011 considerations - newer design updates and fixes. Onstar is only 6 months.

As for the 2011 deletions and additions, it's not that they were deleted, just moved between option packages.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Narg said:
2010 considerations - rebates are bigger (GM seems to be doing less rebates lately, especially on newer vehicles). If that one also has 900 miles on it, demand discount for a program vehicle. It's obviously used. If it's not tagged, it can still be sold as new, but someone has obviously driven it enough to asume a price reduction. If they won't do that, move on... There are other 2010's still out there. Onstar is still 1 year.

2011 considerations - newer design updates and fixes. Onstar is only 6 months.

As for the 2011 deletions and additions, it's not that they were deleted, just moved between option packages.
Let me guess... that 2010 with ~900 miles, would that be somewhere in Ohio?

Our "dealer transfer search" turned up that one too, and we wondered why it had such mileage. The dealership it was at (if this is the same truck that you reference) had no answer as to why the mileage on a supposedly "new" truck. Our dealership surmised that it could have been a "60 day money back return" option that was activated.... the customer drove the truck for a week or two and then was not satisfied for whatever reason, and got their money back.

As time goes on and the 2011's arrive at dealerships... the 2010 models will be harder to find with your preferred color and options packages, if you're searching through GM-Dealer-Search. That's what happened to me.... we signed paperwork and put down a deposit on a truck that was sold at the local-to-another-customer's dealership prior to our dealership being able to complete the transfer.

This did however give me a slight advantage in upgrading my "order" to a 2011 model, and we wound up getting not only the exact options package and color combination that we wanted, but we also got a factory installed trailer hitch too.

And when I called onstar to complain that we only got 6 months subscription and would never use the 'directions' feature of onstar since we mainly stay local, I got my 6 months extended to 9 months after discussion with the onstar rep. I also got 60 minutes free to use on the onstar phone for my troubles.

All in all, we're very happy with our 2011 upgrade. The dealer was able to negotiate tighter with us given that we signed paperwork on a truck they couldn't procure for us, and in the end we got a truck that is 1 year newer, got better financing, and are quite happy with the deal we got.

Other than Onstar going down to ~6 months for 2011 model year trucks (but now includes directions and connections for those full 6 months) ... there are no other major model year changes that effected us when considering 2010 verses 2011. For us it was the selection, and we made out okay.

--zepcom

·
Registered
312 Posts
I hope I'm not being dense, but what are 2011 models doing on a dealer's lot in late June? That seems about two to three months early than normal to me except in instances wherein the manufacturer is doing a mid-season rollout of a new or severely updated model. :help:

G

·
andylibby said:
I hope I'm not being dense, but what are 2011 models doing on a dealer's lot in late June? That seems about two to three months early than normal to me except in instances wherein the manufacturer is doing a mid-season rollout of a new or severely updated model. :help:
Traverse sales are up; it's good business for GM to get the newest model on the lot although June is kinda early :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
We got 1 year Onstar and 1 year directions and connections package with 100 free minutes with our Traverse. I wonder if that was a Canada only deal? 2010 MY.

Model years of cars are coming out earlier and earlier. The 2011 Ford Super Duty was onsale at the end of April already. Although that had to do with the fact that diesel emissions changed Jan. 1, 2010, so they needed a new more capable engine.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Aren't the 2011's going to have On-Star that's compatible with an iPhone app for long distance doors, tire, starting, etc etc.?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Narg said:
Aren't the 2011's going to have On-Star that's compatible with an iPhone app for long distance doors, tire, starting, etc etc.?
BUMP!

Was researching 'roof cross bars' and came across this old thread.

I wanted to let all 2011 owners know that the Onstar app is out for iphone and android devices, and I've installed it and mated it to our truck, and it works great. Can monitor fuel, tire pressure, Onstar minutes, as well as lock, unlock, remote start, and panic button the truck from anywhere in the world. Additionally, from your cell phone, you can directly call onstar, your selling dealership, or GM customer service, and have it directly linked / referenced to your active onstar account. Won't my wife be thrilled when I remotely hit the "panic" button when she's approaching the truck or something!! :mad:

Supposedly GM/Onstar are working on backporting this functionality of the app to 2010 MY autos, but nothing set in stone yet. Big push to get the 2010 Camaro supported, there's a lot of vocal critics on camaro web boards who are going nuts about the lack of support for 2010 Camaros.

I was thinking of posting up some screenshots, but the videos and demos that GM/Onstar feature on their homepage are pretty much what the app does. Novelty? Sure. Useful? In some cases. Absolutely needed? Probably not. At least in my opinion!

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Giving this fuctionality to previous model years is a great idea. Ford just did that very thing, by giving all current 2011 Ford Super Duty a horsepower/troque upgrade for free. They introduced higher HP and TQ mid model year, but they made it retro-active to ALL 2011's. That's a pretty cool gesture!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts