Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been experiencing a transmission issue with my 2010 Traverse LT. Over the last few months, I have had about a dozen times where the transmission will get "stuck" in 2nd until I pull over and shut it off/restart. Sometimes I am able to resolve by pulling over, placing in park and moving to neutral and back into drive. It's a real nuisance and trying to figure out what might be causing the issue. I did drain the trans fluid and change (1 gallon I was able to access). I spotted fine metal dust and the trans fluid seemed burnt to me--and was fully flushed at the dealer about 25K ago.

I've read several forum posts about a wave plate, but most note this is with pre 2010 models and 2010+ have updated wave plates--although I am not sure what this means and if 2010s and newer should not experience same wave plate issues??

I've taken it to transmission shops and talked to several dealers, seems without any codes or consistent issue, not much they can offer--other than pulling the transmission out to further diagnose.

Questions:
------------

1) Should 2010s have the wave plate issue? Is there a build date from GM of when the newer style wave plate was utilized?

2) What would others do in same situation? A reman trans is $2900-$3300 depending on if get 12-month of 36-month warranty. Just not sure what to do given mileage and in current state likely not to get more than $5K for a trade-in given the trans issue.

3) Is it possible to clean solenoid pack (assume metal from wave plate is interfering with shifting mechanism) and just keep changing fluid more often to keep it going longer? I figure even if I change the trans fluid every month at ~$30 a gallon (I know there more to flush, but I don't have shop changing equip for full flush). I might be in it for $300-700 (assuming 1-2 years of life left in the truck--versus $3500). Is the pack removable without taking the trans out of the truck?

It's a real shame considering the truck was $35K+ new and its been well maintained. Just not sure if others are getting 150-175K out of the engine to make it worth driving a few more years to not have a new car payment and higher insurance premiums, etc. Like the truck and no major issues.

Appreciate insight from others.

-Jason

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
the wave plate that fails causes issues with shifting in 3, 5, Reverse.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had similar issues on a chrysler 300m. It was the solenoid pack/ valve body. I replaced both and it worked fine. Sounds similar, except the fine metal. I didn't have that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the information. Anyone know if the wave plate issue is still an present with 2010 Traverse models? I was going to research and see if I can replace or remove the TCM without taking the trans out. Anyone know if this is possible?

·
Registered
342 Posts
It's not the wave plate...the failure mode of those has no affect on 2nd gear. If it was present in your vehicle you would have received a notice from GM about the extended coverage for that item (I received it for my 09).

The TCM is the electrical plug directly below the trans fill tube. The unit itself is part of the cover for the valve body of the trans I think, and you 'could' remove it without puling trans according to the FSM. BUT the TCM does not contain the solenoids if that is still the underlying issue.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
jmill130 said:
Thanks for all the information. Anyone know if the wave plate issue is still an present with 2010 Traverse models? I was going to research and see if I can replace or remove the TCM without taking the trans out. Anyone know if this is possible?

you can definitely remove the TCM without taking out the trans.
Apparently its a simple repair- and DORMAN now has a plug and play kit.

See here for pics and info of the repair by a couple of folks.

http://www.acadiaforum.net/index.php?topic=33193.0

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone believe I can just replace the TEHCM pressure switch discs with the trans go kit and not replace the entire TEHCM?

This based on my understanding eliminates the need to reprogram. If in fact the damaged membranes the problem?

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Search over on the Acadia board. A few owners have posted topics with pictures of working on the pressure switch discs and TEHCM. Not sure if they all replaced the TEHCM or not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I found a few recent threads at the below link that were helpful. Some folks replaced the TEHCM completely, others just the discs with a Sonnax kit. I opted for a Transgo kit, which appears to be the same discs and rubber surrounds, less the install tools. Truly a hassle to keep pulling over and putting the truck in park to reset everything-- then normally the truck will shift without issues, but sometimes it takes a few tries. Hoping to tackle this over the next few days.

acadiaforum.net/index.php?topic=33193.40

·
Registered
39 Posts
Does anyone know what causes this to happen? And would changing trans fluid prevent this from happening?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tbiede134 said:
Does anyone know what causes this to happen? And would changing trans fluid prevent this from happening?
I am not certain. I was thinking its just the materials are not made to last. When I took my TEHCM apart this weekend, 3 out of 4 laminate diaphragm discs were bad, 2 completely blown out. The 3rd one had marks on the disc and was about to break through soon. I imagine over time they wear out. It could be related to heat, maybe someone know for sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I tackled changing out the laminate TEHCM disc this past weekend on my 2010 Travers with a Transgo kit which was $25. Transgo Pressure Switch Repair Kit GM 6T70 / 6T75 & 6L80E 2007-12 (SK PSR-5). I only drove the truck a few times, but it never got stuck in second gear as it had been previously, definitely drive it more tomorrow to see how it holds up--so far so good.

Truck Symptoms: Would intermittently get stuck in 2nd gear after starting from a stop. Most instances, if you put truck in park and shut off and restarted, would then shift, but sometimes it would take multiple attempts, then shift fine.

A few tips for others who want to tackle the job. Other sites have good step-by-step guides.

Removal:
1) I was able to just put a 6x6 under driver side tire and had enough room to get under the truck to get all the bolts
2) One of the bottom bolts of the cover is very hard to get to as its above a cross member, I slowly started it and then with low pressure 1/4" air ratchet got it snug, then hand ratcheted the rest of the way.
3) I used 1/4" drive with 8mm and 10mm deep and shallow sockets and hand tightened everything to prevent any cross threading or over tightening.
4) The wire connectors can also be a pain, just take your time and use a pick and screwdriver carefully to pry the tab and then slide them. Also helps if you move them back and forth before doing so, since they likely haven't been off before.
5) I was able to move the airbox to the corner, but not totally remove it and get everything around it. Saved me from having to connect all the plastic air ducts that connect to it, just one lower one I disconnected.

Installation of Discs:
1) Patience is key with the rubber grommets and discs. It took me good 1.5 hours to get all 4 in. Some went easy, others not so much.
2) I found a 5/16" socket to fit inside the hole and help align the rubber surround. You can tell once it was installed correctly. Have to keep at it if the hole in the center is not symmetrical. It also helped to wiggle the socket around gently side to side to help assist with seating the rubber surround.
3) I air tested with 30 PSI off a blow-gun into a washer that was pushed up against the runner surround to ensure they sealed

TEHCM ReInstall:
1) The alldata guide on bolt tightening is a must have so you can correctly mate the TEHCM back into place.
2)Many of the other forums mentioned having an extra set of hands to reinstall and not drop the TEHCM unit. I used a piece of heavy gauge wire to loop it around the brake fluid reservoir filler neck and let it dangle loosely while I snugged a few bolts, once it was secure, I removed. It worked perfect.

Overall, I probably had 6.5 hours into the repair with a few small breaks. Its a doable project with some car working experience. Just take your time and have patience on the bolts and the TEHCM discs--and the airbox! At one point I had to take a break from the disc installs. The rubber gromment was not seating and it was very frustrating and trying several approaches and even swapping with the extra on included in the kit.

Will try to post some photos soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just curious, how many miles on your 2010 Traverse?

I have a 2010 Traverse with 145,000 miles and I just started having the same issue. Has happened about 3 times when starting from a stop, it won't shift out of low gear. Turn the engine off and back on, the problem is gone. No check engine light on either.

Also, what kind of cost am I looking at to have a dealer make this repair (if it's the issue)?

Thanks.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Does anyone have updated pictures of the replacement process? Photobucket is being a pain in the ass by charging for hosting pictures, and I can't see the pictures any more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone believe I can just replace the TEHCM pressure switch discs with the trans go kit and not replace the entire TEHCM?

This based on my understanding eliminates the need to reprogram. If in fact the damaged membranes the problem?

Thanks,
Jason
Did you have to use a programmer? Thanks

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
I replaced my laminate discs.
Did not have to do any reprogramming.

Reactions: 2010traverseowner

·
Registered
6 Posts
I replaced my laminate discs.
Did not have to do any reprogramming.
Even if I disconnect the plug harnesses it will still be in sync? Or do I have to leave the main plug on it? I am also planning on changing the discs. The tranny is not shifting from 2nd to 3rd intermittently w/no cel

1 - 20 of 34 Posts