Traverse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing some research Between the Traverse 3.6 and the camaro 3.6 and the only difference between the two engines are the intake manifolds and throttle bodies. They both use the same fuel pump,injectors,cylinder heads,camshafts,pistons,and pretty much everything else.

I wonder if swapping the camaro intake manifold and throttle body to the traverse would be possible? if so that would obviously add more power to the Traverse engine which would mean better fuel economy.

With the Traverse weighing in at 5,066 pounds, any extra power that helps the engine breath easier would diffently be helpful to it's fuel economy.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
You would need to do some re programming plus make sure all the sensor are the same and same type of connector.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes more research needs to be done ,, which my wife and I have only owned our 2010 Traverse AWD for a week now,,she is the only one that has been driving it and all of her driving is city and it only got 17mpg and she is used to getting 31mpg in her 2005 malibu.

I have access to GM parts look up by VIN#'s and our Traverse has 3 catalytic convertors ,1 resonator ,and two mufflers, and ours is single outlet.
Thats alot of exhaust restriction that is killing fuel economy.
So I am going to unhook the muffler assembly from the last catalytic convertor and see how loud it is which it shouldn't be loud because of having all the catalytic convertors and the resonator. If it isn't loud then the first muffler will be removed and let her drive a tank of gas to see if it made a difference with her MPG and I am 100% sure that it will, then I will remove the last muffler at the tail pipe, and see if with both of them gone how much difference in her MPG it makes.

Also alot of you may not know this ,but for 99% of GM vehicals 1998 and newer removal of the factory muffler does not effect emissions not in GA anyways.I have done this many times to improve fuel economy and have never had an issues with my vehicals passing emissions.

I will let everyone know how everything works out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
incbed said:
yes more research needs to be done ,, which my wife and I have only owned our 2010 Traverse AWD for a week now,,she is the only one that has been driving it and all of her driving is city and it only got 17mpg and she is used to getting 31mpg in her 2005 malibu.

I have access to GM parts look up by VIN#'s and our Traverse has 3 catalytic convertors ,1 resonator ,and two mufflers, and ours is single outlet.
Thats alot of exhaust restriction that is killing fuel economy.
So I am going to unhook the muffler assembly from the last catalytic convertor and see how loud it is which it shouldn't be loud because of having all the catalytic convertors and the resonator. If it isn't loud then the first muffler will be removed and let her drive a tank of gas to see if it made a difference with her MPG and I am 100% sure that it will, then I will remove the last muffler at the tail pipe, and see if with both of them gone how much difference in her MPG it makes.

Also alot of you may not know this ,but for 99% of GM vehicals 1998 and newer removal of the factory muffler does not effect emissions not in GA anyways.I have done this many times to improve fuel economy and have never had an issues with my vehicals passing emissions.

I will let everyone know how everything works out.
Id love see what kind of results you end up. Im pretty confident youll get very positive results... Is there any way you could wait until after the engine is broke in? Before/after engine breakin could net up to 1-2mpg.

I too have had our Traverse a week, so id love to see how you end up doing things, both parts and labor wise.

Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
71 Posts
Incbed,

I'm reading with interest this potential swap. Here's a link to an exhaust mod that Sandman did awhile ago. You may find his efforts worthwhile too.

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1054.0

Good luck and keep us informed.

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I removed the exhaust system behind the last O2 sensor. Well it isn't that loud at all.
So I cut off the first muffler and put a straight pipe in it's place and cut off the second muffler and put a straight pipe in it's place with a chrome tip.I decided to do both at the same time.

I did all this before we left for Vacation on 06-26-10.

We left for St Augustine Florida on 06-27-10 at 4am in the morning with a full tank of gas and we were able to drive all the way to St Augustine and drive to the grocery store and back to our condo and we got 473 miles before we decided to fill back up and the tank held 19 gallons when we refilled. So pretty much we got 25mpg.
Then the next time we stopped for gas was before we left to go back home on 07-04-10 we had driven 358 miles and it only took 15 gallons to refill so we basically got 24mpg and that was driving in the city.

On the way home we got 25mpg agian so I am happy with the results of removing the two mufflers.

Before the two mufflers were removed we got almost 18mpg in the city now with both mufflers removed 24mpg in the city.
I feel that we got excellent results and I only spent $40 on the exhaust band clamps ,straight pipes and chrome tip. I did the work my self.
Yes the exhaust is alittle louder, but not alot not enough to here a difference inside the Traverse.

If any of you are looking to get better MPG I diffently recomend doing what I have done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts