Traverse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pregnant with my fourth child last year and so I trade it in my almost paid off Milan for a 2010 Traverse that I was excited about, it had 99,000 miles. I only drove it for a month-and-a-half before the engine light went on I went down and had it tested and it came back for the timing chains. I'm a single mom so I had my dad fix it it took him three months but he finally got it fixed and it was up and running again. It worked fine with no issues and the light went off. I got in it in March to start my car and go to work and I heard this horrible sound and it wouldn't start dad said the timing chain snapped out of nowhere. So it's been sitting in his driveway since then and he's been working on it when he can when he's not at work he just got it fixed and put back together and now he's saying that it is bent valves. I don't know what to do I don't have the money to fix this thing I've already read a bunch of stuff online and I know that this is an issue for 2009 and if they were recalled I don't understand why the 2010 is not real cold yet I can't afford the $330 for the payment and the insurance for this thing to just sit in my driveway. Instead of piling more money into this paperweight I went out and bought another vehicle that's barely running but at least it gets me and my kids around but I don't know what to do. I'm begging you all to point me in the right direction of what I should do because I still owe $8,000 on this fucking paperweight and I truly believe that they knew what was going to happen to it. I tried to bring it back to the dealership and told them everything that was happening and they said they would help me they just called me back and they said that they'll take the vehicle off my hands they'll take a $2,000 down payment and they're trying to sell me a 2013 van for $18,000 with a hundred and ten thousand miles on it already and they want me to pay almost $300 a month.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
So the newly installed chain- snapped... and caused vent valves. hmmmm
but the initial issue of worn chain at 99K, is ,most likely due to the previous owner not checking oil levels between oil changes.

Youre only solution may be to get a new/used engine from a 2011+ and have it put into your 2010.

·
Registered
1 Posts
going through something similar. had timing chain replaced at 64,000 miles 2 years ago and now at 96,000 the head gasket went out. mechanic told me this is the worst built vehicle he has ever seen. he said it has an oil consumption issue and the only fix is a new engine as the problem will continue and things will keep breaking. beyond frustrated as this was the 1st time I ever bought a vehicle with under 10,000 miles thinking I would keep it for a long time since I drive less then 20 miles a day. i was getting oil changes on time and this last break he said there was under a quart of oil left when there should have been 4.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
going through something similar. had timing chain replaced at 64,000 miles 2 years ago and now at 96,000 the head gasket went out. mechanic told me this is the worst built vehicle he has ever seen. he said it has an oil consumption issue and the only fix is a new engine as the problem will continue and things will keep breaking. beyond frustrated as this was the 1st time I ever bought a vehicle with under 10,000 miles thinking I would keep it for a long time since I drive less then 20 miles a day. i was getting oil changes on time and this last break he said there was under a quart of oil left when there should have been 4.
Mechanic is already wrong. Car holds 5.5 qts, not 4 qts.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Got to check oil at every fill up.....or at least monthly/1000miles. If your engine is really eating that much oil you can request Gm to replace it if it’s still within the warrantee period. There are “norms” for oil consumption but maybe yours is out of spec. I would suggest getting it checked.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I was pregnant with my fourth child last year and so I trade it in my almost paid off Milan for a 2010 Traverse that I was excited about, it had 99,000 miles. I only drove it for a month-and-a-half before the engine light went on I went down and had it tested and it came back for the timing chains. I'm a single mom so I had my dad fix it it took him three months but he finally got it fixed and it was up and running again. It worked fine with no issues and the light went off. I got in it in March to start my car and go to work and I heard this horrible sound and it wouldn't start dad said the timing chain snapped out of nowhere. So it's been sitting in his driveway since then and he's been working on it when he can when he's not at work he just got it fixed and put back together and now he's saying that it is bent valves. I don't know what to do I don't have the money to fix this thing I've already read a bunch of stuff online and I know that this is an issue for 2009 and if they were recalled I don't understand why the 2010 is not real cold yet I can't afford the $330 for the payment and the insurance for this thing to just sit in my driveway. Instead of piling more money into this paperweight I went out and bought another vehicle that's barely running but at least it gets me and my kids around but I don't know what to do. I'm begging you all to point me in the right direction of what I should do because I still owe $8,000 on this fucking paperweight and I truly believe that they knew what was going to happen to it. I tried to bring it back to the dealership and told them everything that was happening and they said they would help me they just called me back and they said that they'll take the vehicle off my hands they'll take a $2,000 down payment and they're trying to sell me a 2013 van for $18,000 with a hundred and ten thousand miles on it already and they want me to pay almost $300 a month.
If there is a recall you can get it completed if not it’s a hard spot to be in. You could look at car max for a quick sale and then refine the negative equity if you can’t afford to pay it off. Overall it seems like bad luck, and we all hope the dealer you used was not deceitful...

Hope it all works out for you and your situation.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
If I understand the dealer offer is he want to sell you a 2013 with over 110,000 miles for $20,000 less $2000 for your Traverse for a total of $18,000 owning and you give him your car. His 2013 car is already 7 years and you still own $8,000 on your car . Now this bring the whole amount to $26,000 . Not too sure what I would do but I would try first to find a garage that could help you to repair it at the cheapest price and hope for the best. The dealer is basically asking you to give him your Traverse for free because you could find a 2013 traverse with this high milleage for the same $18.000 without giving your car in exchange. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts