Traverse Forum banner

2010 Traverse 130K

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  electbc 
#1 ·
Hello! I have a 2010 Traverse that I would LOVE to keep driving since I owe 1 more payment on it (at least through the summer). My check engine light comes and goes. When getting my oil changed they (GM Dealership) said that I'm leaking a little oil (the mentioned the catalytic converter) and to just make sure I'm getting regular oil changes and fill as needed. Its a slow leak because I haven't had to fill it between oil changes. Once in a while it will also won't accelerate but the RPMs continue to move.
Now...recently I've had (2 times now) while driving the Reduced Engine Power come and and my car starts crawling..not very safe. I pull over and its smoking and smells EXTREMELY bad like gas. I've taken it to my mechanic but he hasn't been able to diagnose a problem because after a few hours..things go back to normal and you wouldn't know anything was wrong. The last time I took it to him after the latest Reduced Engine Power..8 codes came out and my mechanic was going to do some research. He tried several things..checked everything and said everything seems fine. Anyone have any idea what this could be? I may be leaving out stuff because I really don't know the terminology. Since I almost have it paid off I wouldn't mind stucking some money into it. Thanks in advance for any help!

#2 ·
at 130K, chances are its burning oil.
Check the oil level on dipstick soon after an oil change.
Check you oil level when cold. Try to keep the oil level near the level you noted when the oil was changed.

Also- go buy a bottle of Techron CONCENTRATE PLUS. (buy the larger bottle). make sure its not the techron fuel injector cleaner.
the Concentrate has more of the Techron in it.

Lets try to clean up the carbon in the places that can be cleaned.
Then well see what other stuff comes up.

Im saying to try the Techron- since carbon seems to be the issue that starts causing issues...

#4 ·
Only 130K and you want to only keep it through summer? I had 212 K on my 2008, drove it payment free for six years before I sold it in 2018. Sure there were some maintenance costs in there but I always compared the repair bill to what a car payment would be, I believe I came out ahead keeping it running.
Is it cold there? Cleaning the throttle body is good maintenance to help reduce the Reduced Power Messages.
What codes did the Mechanic find? Run them through us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.