Traverse Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
My 2 cents.....Unfortunately, You might have purchased a traverse that burns oil, and the previous owner drove the traverse with low oil. Burning oil is common in these "small" gdi engines, relative to the heavy weight of the traverse , via the process called LSPI.

A dealership saying getting a new engine could easily be a money making scam for the dealer. Big markup for dealer on a rebuilt or refurb engine, plus all the work to install. Compare prices,shop around, understand what the replacement engine is.. refurbished or remanufacted.
Since the traverse engine is an interference engine, I would think
the pistons and intake valves would have had to crash into each other and cause enough other damage,,, to warrant a new engine. Has the dealership provided evidence of why a new engine is needed?

If we start at the beginning..........
I would say this GDI engine burns oil. Burning oil is root cause of your traverse engine failure.
When you drive with low oil, you get no oil cooling of the timing chain system, resulting in a very HOT timing chain, resulting in wear (MELTING) of the plastic timing chain tensioner, which then does not keep chain tight in between sprockets, and then over time ... will wear the links of the timing chain over time.
The stretched timing chain could eventually cause a crash of the interference intake valves and piston.
I would evaluate the cost of fixing the following....
---->> to fix the burning oil consumption problem, new pistons and rings would be needed.
The cylinder walls should be OK unless interference crash damage, or the previous owner used crc intake valve running engine cleaner since that process will scratch cylinder walls or ? (Need to inspect)
New timing chains system is also needed.
Get the intake valves carbon cleaned off intake valves during this process.

Compare that cost ^ ^^^ of fixing
Vs.
to the cost of a superior remanufactured engine,
where the Remanufacture has made improvements to the OEM design ( like upgraded piston and rings and ?)

Shop around, the dealer will be the most expensive.
Not sure where you get your info but the tensioners are controlled by oil pressure and are made out of steel. Melting of the tensioner. Good grief. They and the chains do not get too hot. The root cause is from fuel dilution and soot caused by GDI. This is well documented by the manufacturers, oil producers and API. Thus the changes in the new API SP formulation for testing chain wear and protection. I have seen similar post on other forums and it appears you mix a little truth and a whole bunch of hype and nonsense.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I just purchased a used 2010 chevy traverse from a GM dealership in ohio. I now need a new timing chain set ($2800-$3400 worth of work), and after reading a lot on the discussion board I wonder if GM is going to cover my issue. The vehicle only has 83,000 miles on it (less than the 120,000 miles per warranty and recall documentation) and its just barely within the 10 year old limits. Currently my car is sitting at the dealership where i purchased it. They’ve been telling me that they are waiting for approval from their manager but its been daysssss. I really REALLY need my car, im in school full time, working full time and i have two toddlers who (believe it or not) have lots of places to be.
What do you guys think is going to happen? What is fair? And who should i reach out to directly to get this resolved the right way?
I have a 2009 Chevy traverse that I purchased used in 2017. It has had a number of problems. Including lost acceleration and engine power loss and timing chain issues. I’ve had the timing chain replaced once, when it wasn’t the problem. 7 months later, timing chain went out again, now I need an engine. It’s paid off and I can’t even drive it. They’re telling me $3500 for another engine. I’m so sick of it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Smh, I’m not sure. My mechanic told me i needed timing chains and I also took it to AutoZone and they confirmed the timing chains’ codes were reading. I had my car towed to the GM dealership and they told me its nothing to do with timing chains but that i need an entire new motor.
I assume you were getting a P0016 code which is cam/crank correlation and some difficulty idling and surging. AutoZone confirmed it. Kept driving until the chain slipped more causing bent valves and damaged pistons requiring a tow to the dealer. Is this a fair scenario.

·
Registered
715 Posts
" I’ve had the timing chain replaced once, when it wasn’t the problem. 7 months later, timing chain went out again" . So you say that the original problem was not caused by the chains but now that they are fairly new they went out "Again" ? Please explain.
Sounds like someone needs a new mechanic.
We are still waiting On DressDoe to come back for an update.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts