Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just purchased a used 2010 chevy traverse from a GM dealership in ohio. I now need a new timing chain set ($2800-$3400 worth of work), and after reading a lot on the discussion board I wonder if GM is going to cover my issue. The vehicle only has 83,000 miles on it (less than the 120,000 miles per warranty and recall documentation) and its just barely within the 10 year old limits. Currently my car is sitting at the dealership where i purchased it. They’ve been telling me that they are waiting for approval from their manager but its been daysssss. I really REALLY need my car, im in school full time, working full time and i have two toddlers who (believe it or not) have lots of places to be.
What do you guys think is going to happen? What is fair? And who should i reach out to directly to get this resolved the right way?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Be aware the '10s were not included in the 10/120 special coverage on the chains, only the 2009s. If you bought it very recently I would take this up with the selling dealer.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
nhrata01 is correct. 2010s are not included.

Reactions: Dess_doe2020

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
I Just hit 3000 miles since my last oil change- and have had to add 2.5 qts of oil.
Goes with the territory- as the miles add up.... its practically a given youll burn oil.
the carbon most likely breaking off as it builds up- and lightly scratching the cylinder walls.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I Just hit 3000 miles since my last oil change- and have had to add 2.5 qts of oil.
Goes with the territory- as the miles add up.... its practically a given youll burn oil.
the carbon most likely breaking off as it builds up- and lightly scratching the cylinder walls.
How many miles on the truck now? And, how many times have you used the CRC Valve cleaner?

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
I used CRC cleaner 1 time. I dont recall doing it a 2nd time.
I do recall oil use going up little by little as the miles on engine increased.

·
Registered
715 Posts
My 2008 had 212,000 when I sold it, I don't recall having to add more than a quart between oil changes.But the 08s weren't direct injection were they?

·
Registered
539 Posts
OP, how long ago did you buy the vehicle? Some states have laws that protect used car purchasers from such catastrophic failures, I have always been told (but never had to use it) that MD was one of those states.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
My 2008 had 212,000 when I sold it, I don't recall having to add more than a quart between oil changes.But the 08s weren't direct injection were they?
the 2008s were not.
My 2003 Trailblazer. 180,xxx. Also no oil usage.
My 2013 Equinox with the 3.6. nearing 95,000. Ive added I believe half a quart. Its at 5500 miles since the last oil change. (15% OLM left). So it has begun to use oil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE: GM told me that my car now needs a new engine, and that I must pay completely out of pocket. Even if I had the money to do this, Im not sure if thats a good idea. What are the chances that something else will happen to the LEMON??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Smh, I’m not sure. My mechanic told me i needed timing chains and I also took it to AutoZone and they confirmed the timing chains’ codes were reading. I had my car towed to the GM dealership and they told me its nothing to do with timing chains but that i need an entire new motor.
How did you get from needing new timing chains to needing a new engine?

·
Registered
715 Posts
What do you guys think is going to happen? What is fair? And who should i reach out to directly to get this resolved the right way?
How long after you purchased it did you get the Codes? I would seek the advice of a lawyer, I suspect that the dealer may have known about an issue but sold it to you anyway. Did you get a Carfax on the vehicle?

·
Registered
60 Posts
My mechanic told me i needed timing chains and I also took it to AutoZone and they confirmed the timing chains’ codes were reading. I had my car towed to the GM dealership and they told me its nothing to do with timing chains but that i need an entire new motor.
My 2 cents.....Unfortunately, You might have purchased a traverse that burns oil, and the previous owner drove the traverse with low oil. Burning oil is common in these "small" gdi engines, relative to the heavy weight of the traverse , via the process called LSPI.

A dealership saying getting a new engine could easily be a money making scam for the dealer. Big markup for dealer on a rebuilt or refurb engine, plus all the work to install. Compare prices,shop around, understand what the replacement engine is.. refurbished or remanufacted.
Since the traverse engine is an interference engine, I would think
the pistons and intake valves would have had to crash into each other and cause enough other damage,,, to warrant a new engine. Has the dealership provided evidence of why a new engine is needed?

If we start at the beginning..........
I would say this GDI engine burns oil. Burning oil is root cause of your traverse engine failure.
When you drive with low oil, you get no oil cooling of the timing chain system, resulting in a very HOT timing chain, resulting in wear (MELTING) of the plastic timing chain tensioner, which then does not keep chain tight in between sprockets, and then over time ... will wear the links of the timing chain over time.
The stretched timing chain could eventually cause a crash of the interference intake valves and piston.
I would evaluate the cost of fixing the following....
---->> to fix the burning oil consumption problem, new pistons and rings would be needed.
The cylinder walls should be OK unless interference crash damage, or the previous owner used crc intake valve running engine cleaner since that process will scratch cylinder walls or ? (Need to inspect)
New timing chains system is also needed.
Get the intake valves carbon cleaned off intake valves during this process.

Compare that cost ^ ^^^ of fixing
Vs.
to the cost of a superior remanufactured engine,
where the Remanufacture has made improvements to the OEM design ( like upgraded piston and rings and ?)

Shop around, the dealer will be the most expensive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My 2 cents.....Unfortunately, You might have purchased a traverse that burns oil, and the previous owner drove the traverse with low oil. Burning oil is common in these "small" gdi engines, relative to the heavy weight of the traverse , via the process called LSPI.

A dealership saying getting a new engine could easily be a money making scam for the dealer. Big markup for dealer on a rebuilt or refurb engine, plus all the work to install. Compare prices,shop around, understand what the replacement engine is.. refurbished or remanufacted.
Since the traverse engine is an interference engine, I would think
the pistons and intake valves would have had to crash into each other and cause enough other damage,,, to warrant a new engine. Has the dealership provided evidence of why a new engine is needed?

If we start at the beginning..........
I would say this GDI engine burns oil. Burning oil is root cause of your traverse engine failure.
When you drive with low oil, you get no oil cooling of the timing chain system, resulting in a very HOT timing chain, resulting in wear (MELTING) of the plastic timing chain tensioner, which then does not keep chain tight in between sprockets, and then over time ... will wear the links of the timing chain over time.
The stretched timing chain could eventually cause a crash of the interference intake valves and piston.
I would evaluate the cost of fixing the following....
---->> to fix the burning oil consumption problem, new pistons and rings would be needed.
The cylinder walls should be OK unless interference crash damage, or the previous owner used crc intake valve running engine cleaner since that process will scratch cylinder walls or ? (Need to inspect)
New timing chains system is also needed.
Get the intake valves carbon cleaned off intake valves during this process.

Compare that cost ^ ^^^ of fixing
Vs.
to the cost of a superior remanufactured engine,
where the Remanufacture has made improvements to the OEM design ( like upgraded piston and rings and ?)

Shop around, the dealer will be the most expensive.
Thank you sooo much! I will definitely get on this ASAP. I set an appointment with my local mechanic (he has awesome reviews) for this Thursday. He said he will take a look and then we can discuss the best action plan. Also, i will call GM and ask them what exactly pointed them to the decision of me needing an entire new engine. I will keep you guys posted, and i will definitely be back for more advice before i spend any large amount of money. THANKS AGAIN

1 - 20 of 24 Posts