Traverse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed oil, had 4,100 miles on it, OLM stated 5%!!
The oil was half quart low when changed, have always used Valvoline 5w30, have never used any oil until now.

Check Engine Light came on so had Autozone read the codes, got P0019 and P0301.

P0019 - mechanical timing failure, blocked oil passage - low oil level - failed actuator assembly.
ECM detected actual CMP angle of one camshaft is greater or less that the commanded state.

P0301 - ignition fault, plugs, coils, vacuum leak, injector fault, high or low fuel pressure

Question: The vehicle is within the 5 year/100,000 warranty, will any of the above be covered?
We bought the car new, had to have the rack/pinion replace at about 5k but other than that is has done well.

Thanks for any help anyone can render,

Ufda

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
@Ufda, under normal circumstances if #1 is in reference to the timing chains, under normal circumstances this would be covered under the Powertrain limited warranty. In regards to the other codes and the parts it is pertaining to, you’ll definitely want to have this diagnosed so you can get the most accurate warranty information as possible.

If you would like assistance setting an appointment please, let me know.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Registered
11,234 Posts
3 very interesting things in this post...

the P0019 code on a 2010.

Also that youre running valvoline.

and your OLM being at 5% with 4100 miles.--- this is roughly 43 miles per 1% olm.

I have a 2010-- and run Valvoline dino 5W-30.
My OLM reads about 59 % when im at 4100 miles. (but I change oil at 5000 miles/50% OLM).

Did you have the OLM recalibration done on your 2010?
Also-- what is the build date on your Traverse?
Mine was built on 1st/2nd day of production at Spring Hill- July 31,2009.
So I wonder if yours is Spring Hill built-- or Lansing (later in the year when production was moved)

·
Registered
11,234 Posts
if you do have timing chain issues-- this is covered under the powertrain.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just returned from dealer, definitely replacing bot timing chains, however dealer rep says it they are doing the chain replacements as "a courtesy since there is 77,000 + miles" or words to that affect.

They also claim that the #1 cylinder coil needs replaced as it is throwing the P0301 code. Cost of coil as quoted is $360.00, does that sound right?

I declined some of the other stuff they wanted to do else the quote was $1,100.00 for trany drain, cooling system drain, fuel system cleaning.

The did provide a rental car, Impala, until first of next week.

Will follow up after I get the vehicle back.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Ufda said:
Just returned from dealer, definitely replacing bot timing chains, however dealer rep says it they are doing the chain replacements as "a courtesy since there is 77,000 + miles" or words to that affect.
Courtesy? Unless there was lack of maintenance that caused the damages, it is under warranty.

Ufda said:
They also claim that the #1 cylinder coil needs replaced as it is throwing the P0301 code. Cost of coil as quoted is $360.00, does that sound right?
Might be ok since the coil might require removing the intake manifold to get to, but they might already have this off for the timing chain replacement.

The other things you declined would be needed about 100K or 5 years for routine maintenance with the exception of the fuel system cleaning which you probably won't ever need.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got the Traverse back today, invoice states that 3 timing chains were R&R plus #1 cylinder coil. Warranty covered the chains, coil cost me $250.95, that was after a 10% discount coupon I received in the mail yesterday.

I believe I will curtail my association with GM, this Traverse has had more issues than any vehicle I have owned in my
51 years of driving. I will continue to drive the Traverse until I find a suitable replacement, which I don't think will be very hard.

The dealer replaced the rack & Pinion after less than 10,000 miles due to the squeak in the steering wheel,then the water pump punked out at 35,000, and now the timing chains at 77,000.

Lastly, the invoice states that the timing chains were "stretched", don't know how this could happen, surely there is not that much stress on the chains to cause them to "stretch".

·
Registered
11,234 Posts
Its not really a stretch...

Its more of a wear were the chain and the 'sprockets' meet--- causing wear.
They then dont look as 'tight' anymore.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Interesting: the first 2010 with a timing chain stretch/replacement.

Ufda: I see this time the OLM was 5% at 4,100 miles. Were your oil changes at close to 5K miles, about 14 in your vehicles life?

·
Registered
11,234 Posts
also curious if he had a OLM software update...

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Ufda said:
Finally got the Traverse back today, invoice states that 3 timing chains were R&R plus #1 cylinder coil. Warranty covered the chains, coil cost me $250.95, that was after a 10% discount coupon I received in the mail yesterday.

I believe I will curtail my association with GM, this Traverse has had more issues than any vehicle I have owned in my
51 years of driving. I will continue to drive the Traverse until I find a suitable replacement, which I don't think will be very hard.

The dealer replaced the rack & Pinion after less than 10,000 miles due to the squeak in the steering wheel,then the water pump punked out at 35,000, and now the timing chains at 77,000.

Lastly, the invoice states that the timing chains were "stretched", don't know how this could happen, surely there is not that much stress on the chains to cause them to "stretch".
Looks like your vehicle was in the shop 4 or 5 days. Replacing the chains is major surgery, involving the removal of the engine from its cradle, etc.

It IS an unpleasant feeling, knowing the engine may decide to self destruct, at any given time.

Mine is an 09, oil and filter are changed religiously, at much shorter intervals than suggested by the OLM, but still feel unsure of the overall dependability of the vehicle.

I had considered using my 09 as a "tow vehicle", but decided against that idea, based on my level of discomfort with the vehicle, as a whole.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had originally hoped the Traverse would be one that would safely and dependably be our "family" car. I now and like you, just do not have that warm and fuzzy anymore. I can't help but ask myself, what's next. Therefore we are in the research phase, not ready to dispose of the Traverse yet, but soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
does anyone know the OHM specs on vvt actuator (12 enclave 3.6)... i replaced timing chains, guides, tensioners. had to replace 1 exhaust valve on cyl #2 due to spark plug breaking apart and took a chunk out of one of the exhaust vavles. lapped in a new one and have compression again... engine starts, idles rough. seems to run good off idle.. im getting a P0019 code. pulled actuator and its clean, looking for ohm specs.

thank you
GB

1 - 14 of 14 Posts