Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

i just purchased a 2010 chevy traverse 2lt. it's pretty loaded minus the navi and its actually pretty sweet. the more i look at it the more it looks like a minivan. i'm a 28 year old male and my gf convinced me to buy the traverse instead of the avalanche or f-150. im slowly starting to think that this car is not made for my age group. :eek:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
iamchicity said:
hi,

i just purchased a 2010 chevy traverse 2lt. it's pretty loaded minus the navi and its actually pretty sweet. the more i look at it the more it looks like a minivan. i'm a 28 year old male and my gf convinced me to buy the traverse instead of the avalanche or f-150. im slowly starting to think that this car is not made for my age group. :eek:
If I tell you the Traverse is not for your age group, could you return it to the dealer for a refund?

Enjoy the Traverse, you certainly will get older .... and the fun of the Traverse will still be with you. :clap:

Bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bobg1951chevy said:
If I tell you the Traverse is not for your age group, could you return it to the dealer for a refund?

Enjoy the Traverse, you certainly will get older .... and the fun of the Traverse will still be with you. :clap:

Bob

can not return it but at least ill be ready for the knocks by other people.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ouch! I would NOT put it in the same category as a minivan. That is an insult to the Traverse!
*petting my Traverse*..."It's okay, baby, the bad man didn't mean it, you're not even comparable to those nasty minivans..."

·
Registered
248 Posts
:thumb: Some times people poke fun of what others have because they are not happy with what they are driving. I have both a full size Truck Silverado Z-71 Crew cab and the LTZ Traverse and believe it or not the Traverse gets the most mileage put on it because of the better gas mileage and smooth ride. I have also installed little accessories to make mine stand out from a crowd. I have also done that with my truck because I like my vehicle not to look like all the others I think that it the thing more and more new vehicles look alike so if you put your own touch on it so you are happy with it other people can talk all the crap they want and you will still be happy with you look and smooth ride.

8) Steve

·
Registered
186 Posts
first and foremost, welcome to the forum! now, most important, do NOT get down on yourself for your decision. my wife and I have 4 kids, and we've been in minivans for the past ten years.....very convenient, but kind of boring and, well, BORING. now that the kids are older, and one is in college, we very rarely have to carry around a full load anymore, but at least we now can when we have to, while offering MUCH more style, luxury, features and AWD, without the stigma of "soccer mom" minivan-itis. The load floor folds flat, which our minivans' (two) did not, and I am looking forward to the snow now to test our AWD. And how can you argue with the Traverse's styling? maybe i'm just biased, but I feel that it's definitely the best looking Lambda, if not one of the prettiest cars on the road in general. Plus, you got a 2LT, which means you're pretty loaded up, so just sit back and enjoy your new ride! NO REGRETS!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
No it's not a van. It doesn't ride like one and it has way more power.

I have been adding the goodies to mine too so they can be made to stand out in the crowed.

Plus check out the group for the Traverse on facebook they are all in your age group.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Welcome.

I too am a 28 year old male, my wife drives the Traverse day to day. I agree that when I bought the car (2009) my friends did not love it (like I care about that!). But I can tell you that after having them all in the Traverse they have changed their minds. I looked at many other suv's before moving forward with the Traverse and liked all the options for the price.

Bottom line if you love the car that is all that matters. I would not consider it a minivan as I would never ever drive a minivan!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
The Traverse wound up with it's smoother look than the Acadia and Enclave as GM pushed the engineers to get better gas millage out of it.

G

·
iamchicity said:
can not return it but at least ill be ready for the knocks by other people.
so has anyone given you some knocks for owning it? I bet they will want to see it; sit in it and ask you a ton of questions before they ever start to think you are driving a family hauler.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I asked my wife about this as the Trav is her baby and she still reports, as late as last week, getting thumbs up from folks who still take the time to look it over bumper to bumper (whether in a parking lot or stopped at a traffic light here in N.E. Ohio). Her only objection is seeing too many out on the road now. She is no longer the "lone wolf" that she was on the road back in early 2009. She likes not seeing the same vehicle too often when driving around town :thumb:

·
Registered
312 Posts
Windy City*, welcome to the forum from Texas.
(I guessed that you're from *Chicago from your login.)

You've got a helpful group of men and women here (I'm not all that helpful, but I'm here) and we look forward to getting to know you.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Tiestosteele said:
Welcome.

I too am a 28 year old male, my wife drives the Traverse day to day. I agree that when I bought the car (2009) my friends did not love it (like I care about that!). But I can tell you that after having them all in the Traverse they have changed their minds. I looked at many other suv's before moving forward with the Traverse and liked all the options for the price.

Bottom line if you love the car that is all that matters. I would not consider it a minivan as I would never ever drive a minivan!
Wow!!! This is almost exactly what I was going to say, as I am also 28, and have 1 kid ( 3 mo. old daughter ). We traded a 4 door sports sedan for the Traverse, because the Traverse has great styling, above average performance, and plenty of bells, whistles, and room for 7. The Grand Prix GXP, not so much, although it was more fun to drive, especially spirited driving. ;D

Don't 2nd. guess your decision at all. You have a great vehicle, and plus, if you have the tow package, you can pull some toys that us 28yr. old men are more commonly associated with. Then, if you still want an Avalanche or F-150, just get your girlfriend to buy one, and drive hers. I can say though, as I drive a Silverado every day, I'd rather drive the Traverse because it is much more comfortable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hi and thanks to all the responses. everyone has been very helpful. without a doubt, the traverse is the most comfortable car ive ever driven. ive been getting a lot of compliments from my peers. but from my friends, not so much. i still think i made the right decision. its an awesome car.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
iamchicity said:
hi and thanks to all the responses. everyone has been very helpful. without a doubt, the traverse is the most comfortable car ive ever driven. ive been getting a lot of compliments from my peers. but from my friends, not so much. i still think i made the right decision. its an awesome car.
Botom line is ...you made the correct decision! You're way ahead of your buddies in "decision making".

Bob

·
Registered
407 Posts
I always have to laugh when discussions like this are made, based on the buyers age, OR gender for that matter. It's ridiculous. Bottom line, if someone feels they are too young to drive a certain vehicle, it's because they most likely make more than the average income for their age bracket, and therefore should be proud to be able to have the means to afford one.

I had to overcome the stigma that Buicks are for old people, which I also think is a cop out for people scoffing at the Enclave. I never would have thought people would be worried about the Traverse being an old person's car.

·
Registered
112 Posts
THERE IS ALSO ROOM IN THE BACK TO DO THINGS WITH THE GIRLFRIEND THAT YOU CAN'T IN A F-150. :angel:

·
Registered
312 Posts
09Enclave - I can't think of a time since the late 50s to early 60s when the lines have been more blurred as to what cars are desirable for young vs old.

Through about circa 1960, there weren't the plentitude of choices we have now. If you wanted a Chevrolet, you could choose between trim levels and number of doors, or you could buy a station wagon. Then, with the advent of the Corvair, the Falcon, the Tempest, the VW Beetle, the Pony Cars, the Muscle Cars, the Japanese invasion, and etc., models became clearly identified with different demographic groups.

Nowadays, you've got people in their mid-20s (like my Operations Mgr's wife) driving a Cadillac SRX, at age 26!! If she wanted a Tahoe, an Acadia, an X5, or even an Expedition, no one would bat an eye. It's all about driving what you like or need and there are tons of great choices, like Traverse, for one of the best examples.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Your "friends" will like it when you all pile in 1 car to go somewhere. :beer:

Am I the only one that thinks he should ask his girlfriend why she wanted him to buy a "family" car?? Marriage and kids in mind? ;D Maybe that's more the issue with a "family" car than the car itself?

I personally love my Trav and is very happy to have one. It's been at the shop more than I can count, but maybe that's what I get for buying the first one in Oklahoma. We have 2 kids and only needed the traveling room 1 time since owning it. It's a sporty SUV compared to others.

You defiantly didn't go wrong with the Traverse. Happy driving. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts