Traverse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I don't know what happen to the post I started ,but my last responce was that I was removing the exhaust system behind the last O2 sensor. Well it isn't that loud at all.
So I cut off the first muffler and put a straight pipe in it's place and cut off the second muffler and put a straight pipe in it's place with a chrome tip.

I did all this before we left for Vacation on 06-26-10.

We left for St Augustine Florida on 06-27-10 at 4am in the morning with a full tank of gas and we were able to drive all the way to St Augustine and drive to the grocery store and back to our condo and we got 473 miles before we decided to fill back up and the tank held 19 gallons. So pretty much we got 25mpg.
Then the next time we stopped for gas was before we left to go back home on 07-04-10 we had driven 358 miles and it only took 15 gallons to refill so we basically got 24mpg and that was driving in the city.

On the way home we got 25mpg agian so I am happy with the results of removing the two mufflers.

Before the two mufflers were removed we got almost 18mpg in the city now with both mufflers removed 24mpg in the city.
I feel that we got excellent results and I only spent $40 on the exhaust band clamps ,straight pipes and chrome tip. I did the work my self.
Yes the exhaust is alittle louder, but not alot not enough to here a difference inside the Traverse.

If any of you are looking to get better MPG I diffently recomend doing what I have done.

·
Registered
34 Posts
...And a Vid would be nice too.

Position camera behind and capture startup and drive away action.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
very interesting...
So not much noise level increase inside....

I found out how quiet the traverse is. 5 people on short trip (1 infant).
This time I was actually going 80-85 MPH- We had to be there in time.... but I would normally travel at 55-60. I was pleased with the sound levels- and the way the Traverse handled at that speed----
later that day I drove our 07 Impala-- and it was bumpy- noisy- and I could head the dual exhaust...
I like the traverse better...
The Impala is quiet compared to say a civic or similar car....

How loud can you hear it outside?
Im guessing your state does not have Smog tests where they visually inspect the exhaust system?

·
Registered
417 Posts
How well an engine breaths is very much associated with how well it performs. That's why the dual exhaust LTZ has 8 more HP. I'd rather replace the OEM exhaust with something aftermarket to do the same yet keep noise down.

BTW, isn't the first muffler a converter for pollution. So isn't removing it illegal?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will see what I can do about down loading yall some pics and audio.

Does this web site make you use photoshop to down load pics?

As for for the removal of the exhaust parts,,,all the catalytic convertors are behind the last O2 sensor I did not remove any catalytic convertors,,Also I live in a non emissions county or inspection county ,but based on my past history with GM vehicals in Georgia removal of a muffler or mufflers does not effect the vehical from passing emmisions.

A

·
0 Posts
No photoshop is not required; although there is a size limit per photo and a max upload size of 2 megs

·
Registered
417 Posts
Thanks for the follow up on mufflers incbed. I believe they are required where I live, so I'd be stuck with putting something in place.

One of my, how do I say... not displeasure, but interesting to consider... is that I always thought the 3.6L was TOO quiet. Not as when in idle or even normal cruise. But, rather when you hit the gas all I hear is fuel pump and lifters and tranny whining, no engine growl. I've always had that growl in past GM cars/trucks I've owned. So I guess I miss it.

I'm not in any hurry to do anything about it though. But when I do I hope to get a much higher flow system put in place, and one that lets the growls loose when I push the pedal down.

·
Registered
71 Posts
incbed,

Glad to hear you see improvement doing this. I'm thinking where big improvement could also be gained is the routing of the exhaust at the back (firewall) side of the motor.

Here's a couple of pics of what I'm talking about:

Can you say "U-Turn" LOL!

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
COCOATANXRFWD said:
incbed,

Glad to hear you see improvement doing this. I'm thinking where big improvement could also be gained is the routing of the exhaust at the back (firewall) side of the motor.

Here's a couple of pics of what I'm talking about:

Can you say "U-Turn" LOL!

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!
Just past that U-Turn is where the two sides of the engine/exhaust connect into one – I would assume it is what they did to ensure they are equal lengths to help with scavenging. It may not be a good idea to tweak that section.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts