Traverse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Traverse LT with about 125k miles. I went to start the car the other day and RPM were at about 1500 and I hear a vibaration coming from the muffler/exhaust. I gave it some gas and it was still there but when I placed my car in Drive the noise stopped and the RMP went back to around 500. any ideas what this could be? It happens ever time I start the car after it has been sitting for about 5+ hours.
I have had to replace 3 catalytic converters (same one ever time) new power steering pump, timing chain, rack and pinion (twice), motor mount and the list goes on. I will NEVER purchase another Traverse in my life. :mad:

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
sounds like the natural frequency of the muffler or other part vibrating.

what happens when in park when you revv up to 1500?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Get up under there and look for loose/broken exhaust hangers or maybe a heat shield. Also check the exhaust manifolds and flex pipes. I'm sure it's just something simple like that. Remember, it's a 2009. It's going to need maintenance, like any other car. Power steering pump and timing chains should have been covered under the special warranty. Whats causing the convertor to fail? Is the vehicle burning oil or loosing coolant internally? That can foul a convertor. Read this article, http://www.greggsauto.net/2013/08/murder-catalytic-converter/

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Very possible that you have some loose inside the muffler chambers and causing all this rattle. When the muffler gets hot the chambers inside the muffler gets tighter and the vibrations are less audible. I had this same situation on my former Uplander after my muffle was 8 years old. Try to tap on the muffler with a rubber mallet when it is cold. You will probably hear the noise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts