Traverse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I orginally posted this in the general discussion but it probably belongs here.

Traverse Forum

T

2009 timing problems

Jump to LatestUnfollow

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 10 h ago
I'm new to the forum but have used it many times over the years in diagnosing issues with our traverse. It has about 165000 miles currently. My most recent problem started when driving on the highway to work a couple days ago. About a mile from work the CEL came on and it started flashing low oil pressure shut engine off on the dash, at the same time the engine started ticking very bad. I made it to work and shut it off. I checked the oil and it was full, last oil change was about 1000 miles ago. Have used pennzoil ultra platinum for the last 100,000 miles. I let it sit for about 15 minutes and restarted it for a second to see what it would do and it sounded fine again and the low oil pressure message was gone. When I left work that day it started and sound fine, I almost made it home when it started doing the exact same thing. I havent driven it since and I finally borrowed a code reader from a friend and its showing p0011, p0024, and p000B. These all seems to do with engine timing. I guess my question is, is it possible it could be the VVT solenoids and not the timing chain? We have been planning on trading it in this spring on something newer. I'm confident I could do the timing chains myself if I had to but want to make sure that's the problem. I havent seen anyone else mention anything about the low oil pressure message when talking about the timing chain problems so I was hoping it might actually be the VVT solenoids. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I had a 2008 Saturn Outlook which gave me the same message twice. I never had any tapping as you described, but they may have made software changes from the 08 to 09 models.
The timing is affected by oil pressure so that may be your problem, faulty message adjusted your timing.
I brought it to the attention of my mechanic and he replaced the oil sending switch, I never had the message again. If I were you I would replace that before any other parts, it is down by the oil filter. You can try your VVT solenoids but since you use a good quality synthetic, I doubt that they are dirty, but you never know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I orginally posted this in the general discussion but it probably belongs here.

Traverse Forum

T

2009 timing problems

Jump to LatestUnfollow

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter • #1 10 h ago
I'm new to the forum but have used it many times over the years in diagnosing issues with our traverse. It has about 165000 miles currently. My most recent problem started when driving on the highway to work a couple days ago. About a mile from work the CEL came on and it started flashing low oil pressure shut engine off on the dash, at the same time the engine started ticking very bad. I made it to work and shut it off. I checked the oil and it was full, last oil change was about 1000 miles ago. Have used pennzoil ultra platinum for the last 100,000 miles. I let it sit for about 15 minutes and restarted it for a second to see what it would do and it sounded fine again and the low oil pressure message was gone. When I left work that day it started and sound fine, I almost made it home when it started doing the exact same thing. I havent driven it since and I finally borrowed a code reader from a friend and its showing p0011, p0024, and p000B. These all seems to do with engine timing. I guess my question is, is it possible it could be the VVT solenoids and not the timing chain? We have been planning on trading it in this spring on something newer. I'm confident I could do the timing chains myself if I had to but want to make sure that's the problem. I havent seen anyone else mention anything about the low oil pressure message when talking about the timing chain problems so I was hoping it might actually be the VVT solenoids. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
From many posts on the Facebook Traverse problems site the pre 2013 are guaranteed to lose the timing chains, there are 3 of them due to PVC problems causing oil sludge in bank 1, which wrecks the plastic tensioner and then the chains go slack, eventually destroying the engine

·
Registered
621 Posts
"From many posts on the Facebook Traverse problems site the pre 2013 are guaranteed to lose the timing chains, there are 3 of them due to PVC problems causing oil sludge in bank 1, which wrecks the plastic tensioner and then the chains go slack, eventually destroying the engine "
Yes that was an issue, smaller oil ports on the chains led to poor lubrication especially when they got clogged. I believe that Synthetic oil, for the most part, prevented this, I had 212K miles on my 2008 with no chain issues. It is still on the road, I used Mobil 1 from the first oil change, I did have PCV issues and the classic Milk Shake in the air intake.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Followup from Tucker on a different post, He replaced the VVT solenoid and the truck is running fine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Followup from Tucker on a different post, He replaced the VVT solenoid and the truck is running fine.
Link to solution which Tucker fixed himself.... in only 1 hour.... . wow!!
Tucker replaced all 4 VVT solenoids.....
See post #3.... and post #4

1 - 6 of 6 Posts