Traverse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[/code]I have a 2009 Traverse LT (AWD) and have maintenance related questions. I do all my own car maint., but got
a maintenance schedule sheet from the dealer. It recommended performing a throttle plate service at 15K miles. What is this
and does it apply to my vehicle? It also recommended changing the cabin filter at 25K miles. Does mine even have one?
I couldn't find anything in my owner's manaul about these. Is this just a generic maint. schedule the dealer uses for all vehicles?

Thanks

·
Registered
272 Posts
I know it doesn't have the cabin filter but the throttle plate service, my dealer never recommended this and I'm at 22k now. They told me other than oil changes, air filters, wipers and tire rotations nothing needs to be done until 100k except for the tranny fluid if I'm towing.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
I just did the throttle plate service on my 2007 Impala.
Have done it on my 2003 Trailblazer.

Many times you wont notice a problem with a dirty throttle body--- as the computer learns and adjust...
a dirty throttle plate can be slow to respond from the crud that builds up on the moving part..
but it learns and overcomes....

it becomes apparent when you disconnect battery for electrical work or new battery...
and if left disconnected for about 30+ minutes...

this causes the learned parameters to be lost--- upon driving again--- the engine doesnt know how to respond to the dirty plate.. and you get odd operation. (on trailblazers lots of people would get RPM's going up and down severely-- to the point of engine shutdown when the AC was used)...

When I 1st encountered this-- I changed the batt in my Trailblazer at about 80,000 and got the eratic Idle with AC on...
no AC--- it ran fine..

the fix was to disconnect again-- clean the plate-- and then let it relearn with a clean plate.

at 15,000-- I dont think its necessary.
the impala has 40,000 --- and no problems were showing up with it...
the battery needed replacing-- and I changed it (hard to change).
then I cleaned the throttle body.

the bad part was that the AC vent doors--- are sort of forgetting their HOME position and im getting the click click click. (2 times so far). abd the missus... said that going up the hill the trans didnt downshift like it should (the trans parameters were also erased- and will relearn).

So no you dont need it.... at 15K.
Unless youre getting bad bad engine performance...
When I do it on the Traverse--- ill clean it without disconnecting batt... but you have to make sure the key is not turned to the ON position-- cause it can damage the stepper motor in the throttle body.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. How do I clean the throttle plate?
Just so I know, when the time comes.
Thanks

·
Registered
11,427 Posts

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
ohhhh darn.... sorry.

·
Registered
202 Posts
rbarrios,

Once again you've taught me something valuable.

Thanks to you sir, may I follow you to the next forum you dominate when you sell your lambda and get something else. :thumb: :D (been a fan of yours since early 2003 with our first of two Trailblazer purchases, and enjoyed all of your how-to's on trailvoy!) If that ever happens, that is. Your TB has 150+k on it now, doesn't it? Think the lambda will make it that far? ;)

lol :confused: :cheers:

·
Registered
30 Posts
rbarrios said:
this is an example of the cleaning that is thorough.
removing it from the engine.
Ive cleaned mine on my Trailblazer by simply moving the flap while spraying.

It should be similar on the Traverse...

http://forums.trailvoy.com/articles.php?do=viewarticle&artid=91
Ah yes, this was a good write-up that I followed myself. I think I did it at about 50K. It was dirty, but not as bad as I had imagined. Just make sure you don't get cut on that flap. The trailblazer one was sharp.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
zepcom said:
rbarrios,

Once again you've taught me something valuable.

Thanks to you sir, may I follow you to the next forum you dominate when you sell your lambda and get something else. :thumb: :D (been a fan of yours since early 2003 with our first of two Trailblazer purchases, and enjoyed all of your how-to's on trailvoy!) If that ever happens, that is. Your TB has 150+k on it now, doesn't it? Think the lambda will make it that far? ;)

lol :confused: :cheers:

Thanks!!!! glad my how to's help others.
Our Trailblazer is now around 156,000.

I hope the lambda makes it that far... thought it may take it longer.
TrailBlazer averaged 20,000/yr. 1st year Traverse-17,000.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts