Traverse Forum banner

21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi all,

This is my first post. I have found so much helpful info on this forum that I wanted to share too.

I have a 2009 Traverse LTZ with 65,000 miles. The OnStar monthly emails were reporting that I had an emissions problem. I did not have the Check Engine Light (CEL) on so I initially ignored the emails. After a while, I had OnStar run their vehicle diagnostics and they told me there was an emission problem and I should get it fixed. So I decided to check with my engine scanner. The engine scanner was getting error code p0496.

Like a lot of people, I tend to top off the gas tank and unfortunately over time that will kill the purge valve.

It is a VERY EASY replacement and that is why I posting. Takes less than 15 minutes start to finish.

I bought the replacement on Amazon for under $23. It was the official AC Delco Bosch part 214-2137.

The replacement part has changed a little in appearance from the OEM part on my car, but does fit. The OEM has a 10mm bolt holding it in on the top with a metal bracket and another 10mm bolt on the left side. The new one does not require the top bracket and comes with the 10mm securing bolt for the left side.

The purge valve is located right under the top plastic cover on the engine in the front. Easy access from the top!

You need a 10mm socket to fix.

Here are the steps to fix
1) Obviously shut the engine off
2) Remove the oil cap and the top plastic cover on the engine. The plastic cover just pulls up. Hint: I put the oil cap back on without the cover during the install.
3) The purge valve is right there in the front!
4) Unclick the two connectors on the right side.
5) Use a 10mm socket to remove (on mine it had one 10mm bolt on the top in the metal bracket plus the one 10mm bolt on the left side).
6) The old valve should pull out very easy.
7) Click on the connectors on the right side of the new valve.
8 ) Slide in the new valve and secure with the 10mm provided screw.
9) I put the old bolt from the top bracket back into its hole just in case the next one has a bracket.
10) Put the top plastic cover on. (if you are like me take the oil cap off then put the cover on) then put the oil cap back on.
11) Start the engine and test with the engine scanner....No code!
12) Have OnStar run their diagnostic and rejoice that you were able to fix it yourself!

Hope that helps you too!

Regards,
Anthony
Hi all,

This is my first post. I have found so much helpful info on this forum that I wanted to share too.

I have a 2009 Traverse LTZ with 65,000 miles. The OnStar monthly emails were reporting that I had an emissions problem. I did not have the Check Engine Light (CEL) on so I initially ignored the emails. After a while, I had OnStar run their vehicle diagnostics and they told me there was an emission problem and I should get it fixed. So I decided to check with my engine scanner. The engine scanner was getting error code p0496.

Like a lot of people, I tend to top off the gas tank and unfortunately over time that will kill the purge valve.

It is a VERY EASY replacement and that is why I posting. Takes less than 15 minutes start to finish.

I bought the replacement on Amazon for under $23. It was the official AC Delco Bosch part 214-2137.

The replacement part has changed a little in appearance from the OEM part on my car, but does fit. The OEM has a 10mm bolt holding it in on the top with a metal bracket and another 10mm bolt on the left side. The new one does not require the top bracket and comes with the 10mm securing bolt for the left side.

The purge valve is located right under the top plastic cover on the engine in the front. Easy access from the top!

You need a 10mm socket to fix.

Here are the steps to fix
1) Obviously shut the engine off
2) Remove the oil cap and the top plastic cover on the engine. The plastic cover just pulls up. Hint: I put the oil cap back on without the cover during the install.
3) The purge valve is right there in the front!
4) Unclick the two connectors on the right side.
5) Use a 10mm socket to remove (on mine it had one 10mm bolt on the top in the metal bracket plus the one 10mm bolt on the left side).
6) The old valve should pull out very easy.
7) Click on the connectors on the right side of the new valve.
8 ) Slide in the new valve and secure with the 10mm provided screw.
9) I put the old bolt from the top bracket back into its hole just in case the next one has a bracket.
10) Put the top plastic cover on. (if you are like me take the oil cap off then put the cover on) then put the oil cap back on.
11) Start the engine and test with the engine scanner....No code!
12) Have OnStar run their diagnostic and rejoice that you were able to fix it yourself!

Hope that helps you too!

Regards,
Anthony
This post saved me!! Your instructions are awesome. I got the part for $13.00 on Amazon, kept it in the glove box for months, then one day I decided to do it. I’m a 57 year old female, with absolutely no mechanical background. I changed the part, following your instructions, and was done in about 20 minutes. It only took that long because getting the old part out was tricky. It had been in there a long time, and things were a bit brittle, so I had to be careful. The new part doesn’t look like the old part, like you said, but it worked. I am getting better mileage, and the power is great! Thank you so much!

21 - 21 of 21 Posts