Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is my first post. I have found so much helpful info on this forum that I wanted to share too.

I have a 2009 Traverse LTZ with 65,000 miles. The OnStar monthly emails were reporting that I had an emissions problem. I did not have the Check Engine Light (CEL) on so I initially ignored the emails. After a while, I had OnStar run their vehicle diagnostics and they told me there was an emission problem and I should get it fixed. So I decided to check with my engine scanner. The engine scanner was getting error code p0496.

Like a lot of people, I tend to top off the gas tank and unfortunately over time that will kill the purge valve.

It is a VERY EASY replacement and that is why I posting. Takes less than 15 minutes start to finish.

I bought the replacement on Amazon for under $23. It was the official AC Delco Bosch part 214-2137.

The replacement part has changed a little in appearance from the OEM part on my car, but does fit. The OEM has a 10mm bolt holding it in on the top with a metal bracket and another 10mm bolt on the left side. The new one does not require the top bracket and comes with the 10mm securing bolt for the left side.

The purge valve is located right under the top plastic cover on the engine in the front. Easy access from the top!

You need a 10mm socket to fix.

Here are the steps to fix
1) Obviously shut the engine off
2) Remove the oil cap and the top plastic cover on the engine. The plastic cover just pulls up. Hint: I put the oil cap back on without the cover during the install.
3) The purge valve is right there in the front!
4) Unclick the two connectors on the right side.
5) Use a 10mm socket to remove (on mine it had one 10mm bolt on the top in the metal bracket plus the one 10mm bolt on the left side).
6) The old valve should pull out very easy.
7) Click on the connectors on the right side of the new valve.
8 ) Slide in the new valve and secure with the 10mm provided screw.
9) I put the old bolt from the top bracket back into its hole just in case the next one has a bracket.
10) Put the top plastic cover on. (if you are like me take the oil cap off then put the cover on) then put the oil cap back on.
11) Start the engine and test with the engine scanner....No code!
12) Have OnStar run their diagnostic and rejoice that you were able to fix it yourself!

Hope that helps you too!

Regards,
Anthony

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I just purchase the part off of Amazon for $24.44 will be here wednesday hopefully it will solve my P0496 code as well. I am wondering if this also effects starting after getting gas? My 2009 Traverse has begun to not want to start after I put gas in it. After a cople of tries it fires up and does fine until I get gas again?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Baja_Chris said:
Thanks for the tip. I just purchase the part off of Amazon for $24.44 will be here wednesday hopefully it will solve my P0496 code as well. I am wondering if this also effects starting after getting gas? My 2009 Traverse has begun to not want to start after I put gas in it. After a cople of tries it fires up and does fine until I get gas again?
Yes, that is one of the very common symptoms when the purge valve goes bad.

Baja_Chris, thanks for taking the time to post an informative guide on how to replace the faulty part. Just as an FYI, the part you replaced is referred to as the solenoid purge valve. There is a more expensive and harder to replace item called the vapor canister purge valve. I believe it is located near the gas tank.

When I saw your post with the title, I thought you were originally talking about that part. Here is a link to what that part looks like

http://www.stockwiseauto.com/product_info.php/products_id/325177/fit_id/13289/Year/2010/Make/Chevrolet/Model/Traverse/source/googleps?gclid=CJvJ76L86r0CFUYV7AodAGwAnA

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can someone post a picture or a link to a picture of this solenoid purge valve? I looked on Amazon and what I'm finding is a bit more expensive than what's mentioned here.

Thanks!
Shawn

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
If you read the very first post on here, you will see the AC Delco part number was given. Do a simple Google search on that number, and you will find these results. Yes, Amazon has one for over $30.00. Might be a different seller, or they are selling enough of them to raise the price.

https://www.google.com/search?q=AC+Delco+Bosch+part+214-2137&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=sb#channel=sb&q=AC+Delco+Bosch+part+214-2137&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&tbm=shop

Rock Auto has some that they are closing out for under $14.00. They say they are a private label brand, but who knows since they do list the AC Delco number.

http://www.rockauto.com/

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, I have another question. I also have a 2009 Traverse, but an LT, not an LTZ...so I'm not sure if that's the difference here. I bought the AC Delco part number as stated in the first post. I got the old one out and noticed that there are two distinct differences. First, the left side (the part that doesn't have the 2 things connecting to it) is a different shape and I couldn't get it in all the way. Second, there isn't anything to attach the provided 10mm screw to. Could it be that this part doesn't work for the LT? When I purchased the part, I did the part match and it said that it was compatible with my vehicle.

P.S. I'm a woman doing this on my own, so I don't have much mechanic experience...so any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
There was a design change to the part but it is still basically the same part. I recall reading a post about the attachment being different.

There is absolutely no difference between the LT or the LTZ parts, they all have the same engine and transmission. The only difference might be the part changed somewhere along the way. You should be able to find an old part number on the one you removed. Using that number you can cross reference to see if it will work with the new part (which may have a different number) or just find the part with the number of the one you removed.

Or take the old one to a local parts store and match it up there in the store.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is the process described by the OP the same for the 2012 Traverse LTZ? I'm getting a P0496 code. I found the purge valve on amazon for $23 with 2-day shipping and just wondering if it's that easy to swap out, if so I might as well try that before having to take it to a dealer. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
cpritch2015 said:
Is the process described by the OP the same for the 2012 Traverse LTZ? I'm getting a P0496 code. I found the purge valve on amazon for $23 with 2-day shipping and just wondering if it's that easy to swap out, if so I might as well try that before having to take it to a dealer. Thanks.
Should be the same. You can do a search on the different forums (Enclave, Acadia, Outlook) as there have been posts made on those also. There have been pictures posted and even a video on one of them. Make sure you sign up on those forums (you can use your same user name and password) there as you do here. This will allow you to see pictures and videos.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was able to replace the purge valve...very easy swap. But the engine light is still on. Do I need to just give it time or is there some process to reset this?

If it still doesn't go off, where should I look next?

·
Registered
11,536 Posts
it may reset after a certain number of COLD engine starts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay, thanks. I've started/restarted several times but it's still showing up. Will give it another day or so and if it doesn't reset I'll recheck the code.

Which reminds me, do you have a code-reader that you recommend? Right now I just drop by Autozone and have them check for me but I've been thinking of buying my own so I can check the codes and know better what's going on. Is there a model/make that is better or easier to use than others?

·
Registered
146 Posts
arifenbe said:
Hi all,

This is my first post. I have found so much helpful info on this forum that I wanted to share too.

I have a 2009 Traverse LTZ with 65,000 miles. The OnStar monthly emails were reporting that I had an emissions problem. I did not have the Check Engine Light (CEL) on so I initially ignored the emails. After a while, I had OnStar run their vehicle diagnostics and they told me there was an emission problem and I should get it fixed. So I decided to check with my engine scanner. The engine scanner was getting error code p0496.

Like a lot of people, I tend to top off the gas tank and unfortunately over time that will kill the purge valve.

It is a VERY EASY replacement and that is why I posting. Takes less than 15 minutes start to finish.

I bought the replacement on Amazon for under $23. It was the official AC Delco Bosch part 214-2137.

The replacement part has changed a little in appearance from the OEM part on my car, but does fit. The OEM has a 10mm bolt holding it in on the top with a metal bracket and another 10mm bolt on the left side. The new one does not require the top bracket and comes with the 10mm securing bolt for the left side.

The purge valve is located right under the top plastic cover on the engine in the front. Easy access from the top!

You need a 10mm socket to fix.

Here are the steps to fix
1) Obviously shut the engine off
2) Remove the oil cap and the top plastic cover on the engine. The plastic cover just pulls up. Hint: I put the oil cap back on without the cover during the install.
3) The purge valve is right there in the front!
4) Unclick the two connectors on the right side.
5) Use a 10mm socket to remove (on mine it had one 10mm bolt on the top in the metal bracket plus the one 10mm bolt on the left side).
6) The old valve should pull out very easy.
7) Click on the connectors on the right side of the new valve.
8 ) Slide in the new valve and secure with the 10mm provided screw.
9) I put the old bolt from the top bracket back into its hole just in case the next one has a bracket.
10) Put the top plastic cover on. (if you are like me take the oil cap off then put the cover on) then put the oil cap back on.
11) Start the engine and test with the engine scanner....No code!
12) Have OnStar run their diagnostic and rejoice that you were able to fix it yourself!

Hope that helps you too!

Regards,
Anthony
I had the same problem and started my own thread before seeing this one. I just replaced the solenoid purge valve and topped off the tank. Engine started normally. But engine light is still lit.

Have others here replaced this valve and had the light stay on for a while? Does it eventually turn off on it's own? Any way to shut it off (I am guessing no on this one)?

·
Registered
342 Posts
cpritch2015 said:
Which reminds me, do you have a code-reader that you recommend? Right now I just drop by Autozone and have them check for me but I've been thinking of buying my own so I can check the codes and know better what's going on. Is there a model/make that is better or easier to use than others?
Harbor Freight has a decent one model #60693 for $79.99 and you can apply 20% discount code to get it for less. I use it on my Traverse and it works well for reading and clearing codes. The interface is a bit clunky but the unit is solid overall.
You could have AutoZone clear the code for you as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anyone had a problem like having the engine bucking at around 1500-1800 rpm from this valve being bad? My scanner came up with this code at the same time i started having the bucking. I had the car serviced and what i was told was that the ignition coils and plugs were bad, i have since then replaced them all and the problem is lesser but still happening. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Chevy Dave said:
Has anyone had a problem like having the engine bucking at around 1500-1800 rpm from this valve being bad? My scanner came up with this code at the same time i started having the bucking. I had the car serviced and what i was told was that the ignition coils and plugs were bad, i have since then replaced them all and the problem is lesser but still happening. Any ideas?
Good Afternoon Chevy Dave,

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing these concerns with your Traverse. I would certainly like to assist with any questions you may have. If you would like further assistance from our team, please feel free to send us a private message with your contact and vehicle info. Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Anisha T.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks all. Just replaced purge valve with your help. took about 5 mins. Problem solved. I am not at all mechanically inclined. very very easy to do. Solenoid valve cost me $31.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We had same problem with our 2011 Traverse (83,000 miles) suddenly not wanting to start after filling with gas last month.
It popped up a 0336 code and finally started. Someone at gas station cleared code and did not have any problems until we went to fill it up again.
After discovering when gas pedal was put to floor it would start I found the original post.
Bought the AC Delco Bosch part 214-2137 from Amazon, replaced and issue seems to be fixed.
Thank you for the write up and for everyone else sharing their experiences with the rest of us. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2011 Lt AWD.
Cleaned throttle body. And a few days later I had a P0496 code. Changed high pressure valve.
Now I have a P0497, low pressure valve. Gonna change filler cap. Hope that clears it.
Don't want to drop the gas tank

1 - 20 of 21 Posts