GMC / ACADIA 2009
SATURN / OUTLOOK 2009

Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS CORP. Mfr's Report Date: NOV 24, 2008
NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 08V615000 N/A
NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: SEAT BELTS: REAR:BUCKLE ASSEMBLY
Potential Number of Units Affected: 16667
Summary:
GM IS RECALLING 16,667 MY 2009 BUICK ENCLAVE, CHEVROLET TRAVERSE, GMC ACADIA, AND SATURN OUTLOOK VEHICLES FOR FAILING TO CONFORM WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 209, 'SEAT BELT ASSEMBLIES.' THESE VEHICLES MAY HAVE BEEN BUILT WITH A SAFETY BELT BUCKLE IN THE SECOND OR THIRD ROW THAT IS MISSING A RIVET.
Consequence:
IN A VEHICLE CRASH, IF THE RIVET IS MISSING, THE BUCKLE MAY SEPARATE FROM THE MOUNTING STRAP.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE SAFETY BELT BUCKLES IN THE SECOND AND THIRD ROWS, AND REPLACE THEM IF NECESSARY. THE RECALL BEGAN ON NOVEMBER 26, 2008. OWNERS MAY CONTACT BUICK AT 1-866-608-8080; CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438; GMC AT 1-866-996-9463; SATURN AT 1-800-972-8876; OR THROUGH E-MAIL AT WWW.GMOWNERCENTER.COM.
Notes:
GM RECALL NO. 08387. CUSTOMERS MAY CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks alot for letting us know this!!!! :cheers: DO you thing they will send a letter advising of the problem or do we have to call GM?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I assume we'll get a letter at some point- the question is when. Regardless, I'll probably contact the dealer before too long and see what they know. My kids are using those belts.

·
Registered
63 Posts
^^^Well that's not good!!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Spade said:
^^^Well that's not good!!!
Yep, Toyota was even sued by the Japanese government for not issuing recalls when demanded by the government over there. Toyota is trying to hard to keep the "quality" look, when in reality they are not any better than any other maker, US or otherwise. Sad.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Interesting.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
i was going to say the same thing--- GM had a recall because a page was missing from the manual of some cars.......... A RECALL!!!
Yet Toyota does not do recalls and calls them something else, keeps it quiet, or they fix it while the car comes in for something else....
Oh... we went ahead and did an xyz while your car was in for its oil change...
seen this reported in multiple sites....

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had my Traverse in to the dealer yesterday and asked him to check on this recall -- my vehicle (production date 10 October) wasn't affected. It could also be that the recall notice hasn't worked its way down to the dealer level yet, but it seems like that should be pretty instantaneous.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You would think.

·
Registered
417 Posts
They are instant. The dealer can look up any published recall on their computer at any time. Sounds like you've got a lazy dealer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not sure why you would say that -- he checked my VIN in the computer for recalls and didn't come up with one.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I found the full recall notice posted on the acadiaforums.net site. They expect to have to replace a total of only 250 buckles worldwide. So it's very small in scope. My Traverse didn't fall in the list of VIN numbers given, and I tried the test that they suggested and mine seem to be good.

Since the small number, I guess once they figured out who was making the mistake, they fired them. Oh wait, union labor, they moved him up to management... :happy:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I went to my local Chevy dealer today and they had no idea what I was talking about. They looked at me as if I was doing cartwheels when talking.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts