Traverse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

I'm considering a 20% or 35% percut tint kit for the front windows.

Does anyone know what the standard tint is (on the back windows, etc)?

Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
The rear tints are 20%, you can actually see it listed on the corner of the glass, it will state: 19% +/- 5%. The fronts are already tinted 70%. I did 20% tints in the front to make the front look same as the rear it looks great and gives a sporty look. I say go with 20%.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dear All,

First - Thanks for your comments. Following is a link to a site that lists all state laws relating to window tint. http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/.

The law for our area is that the window must allow NO LESS than 65% of the ligt through. This would normally relate to a 35% window tint film.

However, as one person noted the Traverse front -side windows are already tinted to 70% (or equal to a 30% tint film). Therefore, they already very close to the legal limit. GM no doubt decided that a 70% would pass all states.

My favorite yongest son has already been cited (and since removed) the 20% tint in the front side windows of his Mitsubisi Evo "Race Car".

I must admit that although my wife in particular would like a darker tint or some kind of extra-deep sunvisor for "short people", I can understand the reasons against dark tints.

1. Another driver cannot tell if the "tinted driver" has looked their direction, etc. These kind of non-verbal visual cues are probably very important.

2. If I were "an Officer of the Law" I would be very much on the guard and probably order folks out of any vehicle with dark-tinted windows. This speaks to the fact that the approach to the driver or passenger is effectively blinded.

Sombody's "fashion statement" is not worth anyone getting killed by some Gangsta-wanna be.

So much for any additional tint...

·
Registered
110 Posts
tdk, thanks for the link, but I question if the info on that site is correct or not. In my state of PA it says:

Windshield No tint is allowed on the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Rear Window Must allow more than 70% of light in.

That, to me, means that the factory tint of 20% (if that's what it is, I haven't looked at the windows yet) is illegal in PA. The front side windows are legal but the back side windows and the rear window are not? Why would my dealer be allowed to sell me a car with illegal factory tint? Again, thanks for the link, but I think you might want to look a bit deeper into your state's laws before making a final determination.

·
Registered
110 Posts
OK, I just looked at the Traverse windows. The front side windows and the windshield say 70% minimum. The back side windows that go up and down say 19% +/- 5. The back side windows that don't go up and down (the ones for the 3rd row) say 23% +/- 2. The rear window says 22% +/- 5. So, again, 5 out of my 8 windows are illegal? Interesting.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I guess the Traverse is a "truck" or a "multi-purpose passenger vehicle" under PA state law. "For the purpose of this fact sheet, multi-purpose passenger vehicles are defined as vehicles that are built
on a truck chassis or specifically designed for occasional off-road use." Those types of vehicles have no requirement for window tinting in PA. So, my windows are legal after all.

I found this at:
http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/

I searched for window tinting and it was the second result from the top.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts