Traverse Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just purchased a set of stock 20-inch, GMC Acadia chrome wheels for my 09 Traverse. The tires need to be changed.

The tires currently on the wheels are 285-50-20. They give me the same wheel diameter as the stock size, and despite their width, they clear the struts (I can get my hand in between the tire and the struts). They are worn, but evenly, and they show no marks from rubbing. I put them on my truck for a weekend and they looked amazing.

Stock sized-tires (255-55-20) are more expensive than 285-50-20 so I'm leaning towards purchasing this size since I know it fits, looks and rides good.

Before I go and order a set, I'd like to know if anyone here has any thoughts on the issue?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
350 Posts
Unless you can see the tires side by side, I would go with the same brand, as different manufacturers tires vary widely even though they are labeled the same...

What tires are on your rims? Are the rims stock width...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tires on the wheels are General Grabber UHP.

My truck is a base model, so it initially came with 17-inch steel wheels with hubcaps (the first pic). The second pic shows the Acadia Wheels.

Note: I'm trying to upload pics but after reducing their size I'm still getting errors. I'll try again after this post.

As far as the speedo, it will actually read 0.6% too slow, so it's almost a perfect match for the stock size 20-inch tires (according to the miata tire size calculator on the miata.net website).

Thanks again for your input.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Gillez said:
The tires on the wheels are General Grabber UHP.

My truck is a base model, so it initially came with 17-inch steel wheels with hubcaps (the first pic). The second pic shows the Acadia Wheels.

Note: I'm trying to upload pics but after reducing their size I'm still getting errors. I'll try again after this post.

As far as the speedo, it will actually read 0.6% too slow, so it's almost a perfect match for the stock size 20-inch tires (according to the miata tire size calculator on the miata.net website).

Thanks again for your input.
I think you will have to compare your stock 17" tire against the 20" tire you have on there now with the new wheels. This will give you the true difference for the speedometer since the gearing was originally installed for the 17" standard wheel. I'm not sure if there is an actual gear, or if it is set electronically and is something a dealer can change using a scan tool or similar device.

Remember, rule of thumb is you don't want to exceed a 3% difference in any specification when making tire size changes, especially the diameter of the tire.

The tire calculator I use shows that going from the stock 245/70/17 tire to the 285/50/20 tire will give you a reading of 2.3% too fast and a 2.35 diameter variance. So you should be OK with that selection.

What's strange is comparing the standard 255/50/20 optional tire with the 285/50/20 tire you have on their now. The speedometer is 3.78 slow and the diameter has a variance of 3.93. Those are not acceptable numbers.

Based on the standard 17" the car came with and the 285/50/20 you are putting on, you should be OK. If it came with the optional 255/50/20 tire you would not be able to replace it with the 285/50/20.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Tire diameter for all three (17, 18 & 20") stock tire sizes is 31".You should choose a replacement tire that is as close to 31" as possible to keep speedo and computer happy.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Gillez said:
I think the stock tire size for the 20-inch wheels was 255-55-20 rather than 255-50-20. That would explain the discrepancy versus the 17-inch wheels.

I did make a mistake and enter 255/50/20 instead of the 255/55/20 like you pointed out. That makes the difference between the two 20" tires much closer. The 285 would be .57% too fast and a diameter variance of .57 also.

Surprising how that little of a change number wise (55 versus 50) for the profile of the tire can make that big of a difference.

·
Registered
247 Posts
i am trying to go the other way or smaller, smaller in widht so lower than 255. 255 seems to wide to me. 285 is definitely wider. The thought there is to reduce rolling resistance and pick up more mpg.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Do note we have had post about someone who did this and it affected his ride and handling. To the point they are looking at possibly selling the tires and going back to the stock size.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just purchased a set of stock 20-inch, GMC Acadia chrome wheels for my 09 Traverse. The tires need to be changed.

The tires currently on the wheels are 285-50-20. They give me the same wheel diameter as the stock size, and despite their width, they clear the struts (I can get my hand in between the tire and the struts). They are worn, but evenly, and they show no marks from rubbing. I put them on my truck for a weekend and they looked amazing.

Stock sized-tires (255-55-20) are more expensive than 285-50-20 so I'm leaning towards purchasing this size since I know it fits, looks and rides good.

Before I go and order a set, I'd like to know if anyone here has any thoughts on the issue?

Thanks in advance
Is 265/50/20 okay for My 2012 traverse?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts