Traverse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering purchasing the LTZ with 20 inch wheels but I was wondering how they perform in snow/ice versus the 18 inch wheels of the LT2? Is there any concern with getting 20 inch (lower profile) tires when I have to spend 4-6 months of the year sloughing it through snow and ice (Calgary, AB Canada).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
I see quite a few of the Enclave, Acadia, traverse folks who live in cold weather--- they invest in buying the factory 17 and 18 inch rims/tires from folks in warmer places that buy aftermarket and have no need for the factory rims..

·
Registered
857 Posts
We have had the LTZ for a year now and have had little trouble getting around on ice and snow. We did go to Discount Tire and have the tires siped right after we bought the car. Siping cuts the tread across the tread and allows the tread to open up during acceleration and braking and helps give the vehicle better grip. According to other information I've seen, siping will also help prolong the life of the tire. This cost us $60 versus $800 for a set of 255/55/20 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1s with mounting, balancing, and tax. The Blizzak is a great tire, but I can't justify the cost right now. Siping was money well spent.

We drove through a bad snow storm for more than 500 miles in New Mexico and Colorado but made it home just fine. Of course we were driving in a manner consistent with the poor conditions while others were sliding off the road and winding up in the ditch or worse. The Traverse never flinched on the siped Bridgestones.

Best of luck with your decision.

Reactions: QM1SS670

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
The Traverse is so heavy they perform well in the snow.

Regardless of the tire size.

·
Registered
37 Posts
They perform quite well in the snow. The only problem I have with them is that snow builds up on the inside of the rim and throws them out of balance. On several occasions (last night the most recent) I have had to stop and try to get the snow off with my snow brush. The fact that they are very open and flat on the inside allows the snow to build up quite thick. When a chunk breaks off you really know it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Will you have AWD? Our LTZ is perfectly fine in the snow. I have never driven an LT in the snow so I can not compare it, but I dont think you will have a problem at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone for the info. Glad to hear that the 20" wheels should be fine. And yes, I'm getting the AWD. Feel more comfortable with the AWD and good tires when we spend a solid 4-5 months driving in the winter. Man, I can't wait for the golf season. Spent the first week of 2011 in Hawaii and got a few rounds in. Makes me wonder what I'm doing living in the cold north!

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have the 20"s. No issues after two feet of snow here a few days ago.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I found that our 20" tires perform very well in the 8" of snow that we just received last week. I had no problems what so ever in the snow, and we have only the Front wheel drive. In fact, I almost thought that the traction control wasn't working on our Traverse, because I never felt that un-mistakable feeling of the wheels being slowed by the computer, and I didn't see the light on during normal driving. So, when I was clear of all others, and on an open 4 lane road, I punched the throttle, just to see if I could get the wheels to spin. To my surprise, I slipped a bit at first, and the traction control kicked in, but then it grabbed, and I took off. With that, I was very impressed that I didn't need the traction control sooner, on very slick, snow packed roads.

Thus far, I do NOT regret our 20" wheel / tire choice, with just the front wheel drive. We too wanted AWD, but just couldn't find the right Traverse with that option for us, so we "settled" witout the AWD, and so far, it's worked for us.

Good luck on your purchase, and I would guess you should be fine in most cases with the 20" wheels, and AWD, even in Canada. ;D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Way after original posts. I have 20" wheels and stock Continental tires for the Redline package. So far it has not been good in light rain when starting from a stop, especially if uphill. Tried once in what I'd call slippery snow and it was scary enough that I did not even leave the subdivision. Now I'm wondering about snow tires. Forgot about Snow Mode. I will try that next snow with current tires. How can they be so bad with a "M+S" designation? I have figured out that if I put the transmission in the manual mode and start off in '3' while uphill in the rain, I can do better, but sheesh.

·
Registered
18 Posts
They perform quite well in the snow. The only problem I have with them is that snow builds up on the inside of the rim and throws them out of balance. On several occasions (last night the most recent) I have had to stop and try to get the snow off with my snow brush. The fact that they are very open and flat on the inside allows the snow to build up quite thick. When a chunk breaks off you really know it.
Can we spray the rims with a deicing solution? or will that cause rust and other problems on nearby vehicle parts? We don't get much ice or snow in this part of Texas but when we do the ditches fill up with the carcasses (pun intended) of local dunderheads who have absolutely no skill at winter driving. This is also my first FWD vehicle so I am sure there will be a learning curve involved. Am I correct in assuming that slow and steady is the way to go? Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Can we spray the rims with a deicing solution? or will that cause rust and other problems on nearby vehicle parts? We don't get much ice or snow in this part of Texas but when we do the ditches fill up with the carcasses (pun intended) of local dunderheads who have absolutely no skill at winter driving. This is also my first FWD vehicle so I am sure there will be a learning curve involved. Am I correct in assuming that slow and steady is the way to go? Thanks for the help!
You dont have to put de icer the rims with solution. FWD in the snow is excellent and here the snow we can sell it. They put tons of salt on the roads in winter. A good set of winter tires is the key to no problems. In Texas you dont need snow tires because most of the problems is freezing rain when the temperature goes under 32f . Most of the problemsj are the overpass that can get very slippery and the State is not prepared for these situation same with the drivers. In these situations if you really need your vehicule the important thing is to keep your distance far away from the vehicule in front of you. the Traverse even it is not equiped with winter tires is good in these situations. If the weather is really bad the best is to stay home. We have been to Texas countless of times because our relative lives there.

·
Registered
629 Posts
FWD is very good in the snow. General rule of thumb I follow with FWD is if you are needing to drive faster to maintain momentum in the snow your tires need to be replaced or there is too much snow on the road and you need to wait for it to get plowed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts