Traverse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last year when we bought our Traverse, we started to notice a loud pop in the front wheels. This noice usually happens when it is cold, like 45F. Our drive way is in an incline so when we go down and turn the wheels in any direction, there is a loud pop like something has broken. We took it in last year and they said it was normal, it was just a plastic that was expanding ???. So this year it started to do it again, i just want to know if they are right or not...

The other problem is that there is a slight sweal in the streering wheel while turning at low speeds, it is very faint but it still annoys us, what could be the cause of this and should i take it to the dealer?

Thank you in advance

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
The popping sound does not sound right to me. I would have a different dealer take a look at it.

The noisy steering wheel is a common problem. I have it on our 2010. There are some remedies out there, but I don't think that there is a definite solution, that is why I haven't brought our Traverse in yet. The sound is described as a rubbing, wheezing sound, almost like a winter jacket rubbing.

I am going to wait it out a bit. Ours had a definite start date. I was driving it around the campground and it was totally quiet. The next time I got in, it started whining/wheezing/rubbing at low speed turns. Someone also has a video posted with the noise. I will see if I can find it for you.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just my opinion, but...
I don't believe any loud popping noise is normal. It sounds like they don't want to spend the time and effort to find out what it is. I would keep bugging them about it until they figure it out and fix it. You've only got about two years left of your bumper to bumper warranty, so don't let them put you off until that expires.
It may be worth trying to figure out if any other condition will trigger the noise, other than the one you mentioned. They won't try to duplicate going down an incline when it's cold, but if you can find any other way to produce the noise, they might be more inclined to try and find out what's going on.
I think there are other threads here that mention power steering noises... something about hoses rubbing or something like that.
Good luck, and stick to your guns!

-Jamesmyboy

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
My Traverse now has started the steering noise, as well. Reading all the posts on this condition and "attempted" fixes has convinced me NOT to take it in until something more definite has been discovered to actually repair the noise. Until such time, I will live with the noise.

Bob

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the video
that is the noise we have been hearing. Our 05 Silverado does the same thing. It too had the problem when we had the bumper to bumper warranty and they took it in and replaced the entire steering rack or something like that....the problem went away but has now come back louder and usually at every turn.
As for the popping noise, we did ask them if it would just need some lubricants on the joints or other components and they told us that it was something normal, the plastic expands with the change in the weather ???. We will probably wait until the temperatures really drop so we can take it in again.

·
Registered
139 Posts
angelca1993 said:
So last year when we bought our Traverse, we started to notice a loud pop in the front wheels. This noice usually happens when it is cold, like 45F. Our drive way is in an incline so when we go down and turn the wheels in any direction, there is a loud pop like something has broken. We took it in last year and they said it was normal, it was just a plastic that was expanding ???. So this year it started to do it again, i just want to know if they are right or not...

The other problem is that there is a slight sweal in the streering wheel while turning at low speeds, it is very faint but it still annoys us, what could be the cause of this and should i take it to the dealer?

Thank you in advance
I think the popping that you are hearing might be the strut mounts http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=3375.0 or possibly an intermediate shaft ( which mine is going in for next week) I have also had the strut mounts replaced as well last year. My steering is got the slight winter jacket sound when it's warmed up (I've also had a new column installed as well last year for clicking, popping, etc). I think the entire steering system on theese Lambdas is mediocre, we as owners should not have to deal with theese noises so early on in a new vehicle. JMO

·
Registered
718 Posts
So the Traverse has an intermediate shaft issue like the trucks did? Not good to hear if that's the case :mad:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm one of the ones that has taken my trav in for the steering problems. Right now there is still a rubbing sound which GM techs said it's normal and they will NOT do anything else to fix it. I've tried arguing the fact it did not have this noise when we first got it, which is falling on death ears.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just had my second update on the steering noise.They replaced the steering Gear,will see if this works.They did the first one in March or Apirl.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts