Traverse Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 LT- FWD.
Im at about 5700...
Received message from Onstar- via email- that it was time to rotate tires.
Im tempted to let dealer do this one---- maybe theyll give it an inspection while its on the lift.... for anything out of the ordinary....

what have you all done?

·
Registered
994 Posts
rbarrios said:
2010 LT- FWD.
Im at about 5700...
Received message from Onstar- via email- that it was time to rotate tires.
That's interesting. How does OnStar know this? Maybe it can tell via the resetting of the TPMS? ???

I checked my monthly OnStar reports and in late August it showed 5400 miles and no mention of the need for tire rotation.

By coincidence I took the car in for some minor warranty work a week and a half later and I asked the dealer to rotate the tires at that time.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had my dealer rotate them. They charge 16.95 and set the TPMS. I do all my work myself, but for that price its not worth pulling out my jack.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
copperbeech said:
That's interesting. How does OnStar know this? Maybe it can tell via the resetting of the TPMS? ???

I checked my monthly OnStar reports and in late August it showed 5400 miles and no mention of the need for tire rotation.

By coincidence I took the car in for some minor warranty work a week and a half later and I asked the dealer to rotate the tires at that time.
Well, to be more specific- they emailed me my Onstart December report...
under the maintenance section- you can see they refer to the tire rotation....note the yellow exclamaion

Attachments

·
Registered
865 Posts
I had the Bridgestones siped and bought a free replacement road-hazard program from my tire guy right after we got our Traverse. This includes free rotations, so I'll let those guys do it at about 5000 mile intervals.

BTW, the siping (which is only done on the inner tread blocks and not the outer blocks) has been very beneficial on our snow-packed, ice-covered roads these past two weeks.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not familiar with siping.... but from the snow-- Im guessing they slice grooves into it or something to grab the snow?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Exactly, and no material is removed from the tire. But siping allows the inner tread blocks to "open up" slightly during acceleration and braking on snow and ice which leads to better traction. The very outside tread blocks (where the tread meets the sidewall) are not cut to maintain overall stability. I can say that the siping makes a noticeable difference for the better since I've driven in the same conditions before and after. Siping will also allow the tire to run cooler in the warmer months and prolong the life of the tire.

Since snow tires are not available for 20" wheel diameters, siping seemed the cost-effective alternative at $13 per tire.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hm....kept all my notification emails, and not one of them said to rotate the tires.....I am at 13,000 kms.......I had the tires rotated and the oil changed at 10,000 kms (6000 miles)...

....don't know how OnStar would know if/when the tires were rotated...unless they are just basing it on your current mileage and telling you it needs to be done....so if that is the case, then yes, they would tell you that at 6000 miles....but like I said....mine didn't up here in Canada...

Medman

·
Registered
994 Posts
medman said:
Hm....kept all my notification emails, and not one of them said to rotate the tires

....don't know how OnStar would know if/when the tires were rotated...unless they are just basing it on your current mileage and telling you it needs to be done....so if that is the case, then yes, they would tell you that at 6000 miles....but like I said....mine didn't up here in Canada...
+1 as I indicated in my post earlier.

Either OnStar assumes a rotation if it detects a resetting of the TPMS or it is purely based upon mileage. Maybe this is new for 2010 Lambdas ???

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think its based on mileage.... and they alert you... like my case.

·
Registered
994 Posts
rbarrios said:
I think its based on mileage.... and they alert you... like my case.
So if it is a fixed mileage of say....approx 5700 miles (as in your case) and not related to resetting the TPMS, why are you the only one to report this message? ??? That is each Traverse/Lambda owner should get it every 5700 miles or so. Strange.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
copperbeech said:
So if it is a fixed mileage of say....approx 5700 miles (as in your case) and not related to resetting the TPMS, why are you the only one to report this message? ??? That is each Traverse/Lambda owner should get it every 5700 miles or so. Strange.
5700 has come and gone on mine ....no message from On Star or anyone else, for that matter.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It appears my Dec report- Onstar ran the check- I was at about 5100 miles ( I reported to you guys when I was at about 5700)... just within their parameters for the 1st tire rotation...
I clicked on the purple characters... and this is part of the page that comes up...

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts