Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will be heading up to CMU in Mt. Pleasant, MI this Friday to pick up our son. It is all freeway(70-75) with a small stretch of rural road with a speed limit of 55. I gave heard stories about how you can't go over 55 for the first 500 miles. I think I read somewhere where that is only for AWD and we have FWD. My question is do we do some freeway driving before we go on that long trip(150 one way) or just head on out on Friday w/o that break-in period. We have had the Traverse since Sept 16th and it has no time on the freeway and only 65 miles on it so far(I work less than a mile from home). Thanks!

A

·
0 Posts
Take a look at your owner's manual for recommended break in procedures; some people don't follow these recommendations while other's follow them religiously.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Our 2011 (AWD) owner's manual said not to go over 55 for first 500 miles...

We kept to that pretty well, except one 30 mile highway trip a couple hundred miles in. Even then we kept it around 65. I would think that how you drive might be more important than how fast. If you gradually accelerate/decelerate, is there really anything different to the car if you are going 55 or 65?

Your short trip to work with stops and starts & shifting might be harder on it than just smooth cruising at 1800 RPM's on the highway.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
Wow- only 65 miles in about 2 weeks.
If I were you-
I would set aside an hour or 2 and get on the freeway and run up to 55 and back off let it slow down- back up to 55 etc..
Always varying the speed- and not staying at one speed too long.

I have done this with all my cars--- and I have always been rewarded with nice mileage.
I know theres others that think differently--- and believe in the drive it like you stole it.... but
if I believe in the break it in easily- and do gentle accelerations and easy shifts--- and youll be rewarded with nice MPG's.
Also- right now- your trans is learning your drive style.
So if you drive on the streets- try to get your 1-2 shifts to happen at about 1800-2200 RPM's--- and 2-3 shift at about 2300-2500....

I know others dont agree on this-- but its worked for me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha - yeah rbarrios all my cars are low mileage like that -- I have an '06 HHR with a little over 7000 miles on it & the '98 GMC Savannah 1500 van that we traded in for the Traverse had around 78,000. I think I will take you advice and run it on the freeway by me(I-696) for a few miles back and forth. I know it can't be good for a vehicle to all of a sudden go up to 70-75mph w/o a break-in period. I have read the manual and that is why I asked about this in the first place. It says that AWD vehicles needs to be broken in -- nothing over 55 for the first 500 miles, but it says very little about FWD so I guess you have to play it by ear. I will take it on the freeway the next couple of days to get it used to going at those speeds. Thanks everyone!!

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
We kept ours under 60MPH for the first few hundred kilometers. Very important to remember to vary your RPM.

·
Registered
465 Posts

I wouldn't use the crusie control for the first 1000 km either , and what rbarrios said vary the speed from 50- 65 mph with no sudden accelerations, nice and smooth.

This allows everything to heat up and then cool down resulting a better breakin .

Also try bedding in your brakes by putting them through five very hard braking cycles from 60 mph to 10 and then back up to 60 mph all in succession. This creates a large heat cycle for the rotors bringing them up

to temp that what would happen in a panic stop. After doing this you will smell hot metal so just drive very smoothly with very little braking for fithteen minutes to allow them to cool. Heat cycling the rotors like this prevents them

from warping and seats your brake bads into the rotors resulting in better braking performance.

I did this with my 08 Equinox and experienced no rotor warping after 25000 km , it does work. :thumb:
This has also worked for me

·
Registered
407 Posts
CMUmom56 said:
Ha - yeah rbarrios all my cars are low mileage like that -- I have an '06 HHR with a little over 7000 miles on it & the '98 GMC Savannah 1500 van that we traded in for the Traverse had around 78,000. I think I will take you advice and run it on the freeway by me(I-696) for a few miles back and forth. I know it can't be good for a vehicle to all of a sudden go up to 70-75mph w/o a break-in period. I have read the manual and that is why I asked about this in the first place. It says that AWD vehicles needs to be broken in -- nothing over 55 for the first 500 miles, but it says very little about FWD so I guess you have to play it by ear. I will take it on the freeway the next couple of days to get it used to going at those speeds. Thanks everyone!!
Owner's manual should say not to drive any one speed fast or slow for the first 500 miles, for FWD. In other words, don't use cruise....keep varying your speed anywhere between 65 and 75 on the freeway should be fine. Only AWD mentions keeping under 55mph, unless you are towing a trailer....then it would also be that for FWD. Always a hard thing to do, especially for me because I like to use cruise on the freeway. But, I followed what I said above and vehicle has been good so far in the two years I've had my Enclave. As for the transmission "learning driving style", you kind of want to drive how you would want it to respond in stop and go traffic, so except for full throttle starts, I wouldn't think you'd have to baby it that much, or you may wind up with a very unresponsive shift pattern. :-\

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
rival22 said:
Our 2011 (AWD) owner's manual said not to go over 55 for first 500 miles...

We kept to that pretty well, except one 30 mile highway trip a couple hundred miles in. Even then we kept it around 65. I would think that how you drive might be more important than how fast. If you gradually accelerate/decelerate, is there really anything different to the car if you are going 55 or 65?

Your short trip to work with stops and starts & shifting might be harder on it than just smooth cruising at 1800 RPM's on the highway.
The issue is NOT 55 or 65 MPH .... the concern is the RPM's generated.

Bob

15 Posts
I respectfully disagree. If that were the case, why is it required for the AWD but not the FWD? It has to do with the wearing-in of the AWD components, and the heat that they generate vs. the rate of heat removal. If the temperatures get too high, the geometry of the parts change enough that it affects the wear patterning adversely.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Thermonuclear_Cookiedough said:
I respectfully disagree. If that were the case, why is it required for the AWD but not the FWD? It has to do with the wearing-in of the AWD components, and the heat that they generate vs. the rate of heat removal. If the temperatures get too high, the geometry of the parts change enough that it affects the wear patterning adversely.
That sounds about right , more accurate than the other answers. This is why I slowly broke in my traverse .................. it's not my first trip time to a buffet. :happy:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This may sound strange, but I don't really use the cruise control at all so that shouldn't be a problem. I think I will be taking a few short trips on the freeway within the next few days to get that break-in time. Thanks for all of the great comments!

·
Registered
407 Posts
CMUmom56 said:
This may sound strange, but I don't really use the cruise control at all so that shouldn't be a problem. I think I will be taking a few short trips on the freeway within the next few days to get that break-in time. Thanks for all of the great comments!
I hear you, since I too live in MI. I know it's hard to keep cruise on around here, people drive so slow in the right lane, (60 to 69mph) you can't just set in on 70 or you will crawl up the back of traffic, but then if you move to the left, people crawl up the back of you, so I try and keep cruise at 73 to 76, but that still is hard to not keep adjusting it, drives me nuts. Mostly because the roads I use are usually only 2 lanes one direction, so perhaps the 3 and 4 lanes are a little better, but still....more traffic = more people going all different speeds, so cruise control usually doesn't work. I really wish these Lambdas had adaptive cruise control, it should be a must for all vehicles, being that it's a safety feature. Basically, everyone on the road is looking out for themselves, if they want to drive 60, when the speed limit is 70 they do it (to save gas, is sometimes the reason... ::) ) By the way, your OP on this thread mentioned the small rural area being 55 MPH, if you are talking about around St. Johns, it's 65 thru there now.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
09Enclave -- yes I totally forgot it is 65 now! I am sooooo glad they changed it -- I always dreaded that stretch of road and never knew why it wasn't 65 the whole way up to MP. But you have to watch out for those ppl that decide to turn at the last minute -- trying to slow down at that speed is not fun - lol I enjoy the ride up there -- that is after I get off of 696 and 96 by Novi -- after that it's nice and peaceful and not much traffic. :)

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
no wonder you cant use cruise.
2 lanes.

I guess its easier for me- since the freeway is up to 6 lanes wide in some places.
Having semis on the road also helps- since many times they form convoys and stick to 1 speed

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Thermonuclear_Cookiedough said:
We agree to disagree. "Break in periods" are not a new phenomen, nor are they specific to lambda AWD vehicles.

I can most recently recall the break in period on a 2003 Jeep Liberty stating " up to 55 MPH for the first 500 miles". I recall that vehicle especially well, for we bought the vehicle in Ohio and immediately went to NC the following day. I followed the factory recommendations.

When replacing a camshaft and lifters, it is necessary, " for break in purposes", to run the engine at a specified high idle RPM ( approximately 2000 RPM's) for a specific amount of time (minutes).

Bob

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
rbarrios - the semis here in MI, at least the roads where I travel most, seem to do that although you have the occasional rogues that want to outrun you or tailgate you or just plain be a pain in the a** -- lol

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
2LT AWD said:

Also try bedding in your brakes by putting them through five very hard braking cycles from 60 mph to 10 and then back up to 60 mph all in succession. This creates a large heat cycle for the rotors bringing them up to temp that what would happen in a panic stop. After doing this you will smell hot metal so just drive very smoothly with very little braking for fithteen minutes to allow them to cool. Heat cycling the rotors like this prevents them from warping and seats your brake bads into the rotors resulting in better braking performance.

This isn't really necessary unless you have full ceramic brake pads, which to my knowledge, the factory Traverse pads are NOT ceramic. Now if they were ceramic, I would agree with you 1,000 %. Semi-metallic's don't really need this type of break in, from what I've found, and been told.

·
Registered
407 Posts
CMUmom56 said:
09Enclave -- yes I totally forgot it is 65 now! I am sooooo glad they changed it -- I always dreaded that stretch of road and never knew why it wasn't 65 the whole way up to MP. But you have to watch out for those ppl that decide to turn at the last minute -- trying to slow down at that speed is not fun - lol I enjoy the ride up there -- that is after I get off of 696 and 96 by Novi -- after that it's nice and peaceful and not much traffic. :)
Yes, Novi area is a VERY busy area; I grew up in Novi (parents still live there), and I live in Holt, by Lansing. Wave as you are passing the Cedar St. Holt exit. :thumb: (well, actually, if you get on 127 north, that's before the Cedar St. exit....but anyway, you get my drift).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes Novi is VERY busy and seems to always have those tricky traffic shifts which I despise. I will wave as I go by -- hubby will probably think I'm nuts though - lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts