Traverse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replace the engine in my 13 Traverse awd. the old locked up and when we removed the heads and oil pan there was a large amount of sludge in it. My questions is is there a synthetic oil with a sludge cleaning agent that i could use. My mechanic says these engines are notorius for having oil in the blow by which leads to the sludge. Help I spent over 6,000 for the motor and install. the old motor had 110000 on it. I bought it used.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Old motor may not have had proper oil changes from previous owner.
Any synthetic motor oil will serve you well, synthetic oils are all I use in my fleet.

·
Registered
701 Posts
We have seen a few instances on the forums recently with owners who purchased a used vehicle are having issues due to inadequate lubrication, You never know the history of previous maintenance unless the vehicle comes with all the maintenance logs.
Using full synthetic oil with Dexos1 Gen2 certification and not letting it go more than 5000 miles between changes, 3000 would be optimum, Not letting the Oil Life Monitor go to zero is mandatory. Using a good Quality oil filter is paramount, I believe the Baldwin Filter has shown to be superior based upon some input on the forum.
So it may cost you another $200 per year in Oil changes per year to baby it, in the long run it is cheaper than a new engine.
I had 212,000 miles on my 2008 before I sold it, never any timing problems with it, I used Mobil 1 from the first oil change at 1,000 miles. I did let the oil change intervals go to zero a few times, but by using a good oil, it didn't cause any issues in the lubrication and sludge buildup areas.
One last thing, use Top Tier Fuel to keep the fuel system in tip top condition.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just replace the engine in my 13 Traverse awd. the old locked up and when we removed the heads and oil pan there was a large amount of sludge in it. My questions is is there a synthetic oil with a sludge cleaning agent that i could use. My mechanic says these engines are notorius for having oil in the blow by which leads to the sludge. Help I spent over 6,000 for the motor and install. the old motor had 110000 on it. I bought it used.
I feel you... I spent 6k on a new transmission only to find my shocks are also blown. Im at 140k.

Maybe an catch can would help?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts