Traverse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello... I'm having an odd problem, of course! Lets start from the beginning. My wife's Traverse was having some issues with it hesitating and running poorly. I took it to several shops and they all said probably the timing chains are stretched/worn being it has over 250k miles on the ole girl. Well, the price tag for them to fix it was a little much for me to pay so I did the timing chains myself. The job wasn't bad, it just took some time to get done. I replaced all the chains, idler sprockets, main gear and the cam phasers along with the sensors that went to those items. I put everything back together and voila it started and no lights or anything showing up on the dash. I thought all was good until I took it for a drive. Going straight down the road felt good, turning left... again good. Now turning right the car will stall almost every time or least stumble enough that it feels like it will cut out. I cannot for the life of me find any issues with what I have done. I have taken it to a shop and they cannot find anything wrong with it. Even when the car stalls they say there are no codes occurring on the scanner tool to indicate a problem.

Any help would be appreciated if there is any help for this issue. Ugh!

·
Registered
143 Posts
I can only suggest you double double check all your wires and connections. You could have damaged a wire when doing the engine work since it is relatively old and has a lot of miles. Most technicians today are trained that if there is no code they cannot have any idea what the problem is. And most likely so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can only suggest you double double check all your wires and connections. You could have damaged a wire when doing the engine work since it is relatively old and has a lot of miles. Most technicians today are trained that if there is no code they cannot have any idea what the problem is. And most likely so.
It could be that I may have damaged something in the process but it is odd that it only happens when turning right. You can be going slow or fast and turning right causes the issue. There are no wires in the way of the steering in any way and the shop also said that so not sure how to check every wire in the car to find the one that is causing the issue.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
509 Posts
If no obvious wires damaged add a ground wire from engine to body and see if that helps. I'm thinking when motor shifts you loosing a ground connection.

Reactions: Plymouthcranbrook

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would start with everyone you unplugged. If possible check for continuity and also check if the wire goes to ground. Strange things happen in Mr Luca's world.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would start with everyone you unplugged. If possible check for continuity and also check if the wire goes to ground. Strange things happen in Mr Luca's world.
It is still odd that turning right and only turning right causes this issue. I will be checking the wires as much as I can but there is a lot of them in general. Since to get to the top part of the engine you need to remove or loosen (disconnect) a lot of things to allow for the space and flexibility to get things in and out of the engine. Other than a loose or broken wire I cannot think of another issue. It is a little disheartening when even a shop says that cannot find a problem.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I seem to recall others having this issue. You might want to do some searching of the forum.

Here's one; there may be more:

·
Registered
851 Posts
There have been several posts where the engine compartment fuse block was the cause for some issues. Since this was disturbed, take it apart and check for loose, bent connections, make sure the bolts are snug, not too tight where they may strip.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Here are some threads on the fuse box issue:

I thought there was a thread that said there was a TSB, but can't find it. As I recall, the TSB said to pull the fuse box and look for arcing on the pins underneath.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There have been several posts where the engine compartment fuse block was the cause for some issues. Since this was disturbed, take it apart and check for loose, bent connections, make sure the bolts are snug, not too tight where they may strip.
Yeah, it sounds like that may be the culprit. I discovered when turning right that and when the engine start to cut out the door locks start locking as well. Definately a electrical issue. I did put another ground from the engine to the body but that didn't make any difference. It sounds like I may need to take apart the fuse block again. Hopefully that is the issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah, it sounds like that may be the culprit. I discovered when turning right that and when the engine start to cut out the door locks start locking as well. Definately a electrical issue. I did put another ground from the engine to the body but that didn't make any difference. It sounds like I may need to take apart the fuse block again. Hopefully that is the issue.
Probably would've been helpful to include the door locks going crazy in your original post. Definitely sounds like an electrical gremlin and the fuse block suggestion sounds like the right place to start. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I just found out about that one when I posted it. I never noticed it before but when I had a passenger in the car helping diagnose they heard the clicking noise which we discovered was the door locks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts