Traverse Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Hoping for a bit of advice as we are heading into the Chevy dealership tomorrow due to shift to park and reduced engine power errors on our 2018 traverse LT with approximately 25k miles.

This is the second time we are going in for the shift to park error. The first time they just replaced a sensor. That was a month ago and of course didn’t work. This time hopefully they fix it correctly and replace the shift box.

The second error just occurred and it was while driving at 45mph. out of nowhere the dashboard light came on for “reduced engine power.” My husband pulled over to be safe then after a few minutes drove it back home. At no time
Did the car stutter or go slower.

I have been reading up on the nhsta site and a lot of people have mentioned transmission errors with 2018 traverse suddenly losing power and turning off while driving. They say they are told it is a software issue and that gm has no fix for it and they just reset the error codes. I am worried what we experienced is the precursor so that issue. Honestly I’ve always felt the car shifted rough. To the point I’ve put only high gas in it and top of the line oil. But it doesn’t fix the rough shifting. I have driven manual my whole life and know a rough shift when I feel it.

I am the primary driver of this car and drive my kids in it just like many others with this model. And I want to be sure I am not driving an unsafe car that is going to turn off while driving down the highway. The shift to park issue also concerns me as it seems if it doesn’t know it’s in park then it is likely it could roll backwards and crush someone walking behind it?

I am looking for any advice you can give me to educate myself going in tomorrow so they don’t blow off my concerns and not actually fix the issue.

I really don’t know how these two issues can be so well documented without a recall being administered.

thank you for any and all info you can provide me in advance.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your issues with the Traverse.

Based on many 2018 owners on this forum, it seems the earlier manufactured 2018 Traverses (and some other GM vehicles) suffered from a poorly built shifter assembly. GM has had a couple of TSBs on the issue and the best solution is a complete replacement of the older shifter assembly with the newer upgraded version.

As far as rough shifting, again, a number of early 2018 owners (including myself) have had issues with this. From reading the threads here and the TSB done on my Traverse from the dealer, it seem that many of the earlier 2018 had transmission filled with incorrect transmission oil which caused shuttering and/or hard shifts. There were also a few with defective torque converters. In my case, the dealer replaced the transmission fluid with the proper fluid and reprogrammed the computer. This fixed my shifting issues. These issues have not re-occured in well over a year.

Here are some links to these issues in this forum:
Shift-To-Park
Transmissios shudder

Hopefully your dealer does not give you the runaround. They should be quite familiar with the issues and accompanying TSBs by now.

Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
FWIW—we had issues w/2018 High Country not wanting to shift into Park so it could be turned off—
would move shifter into P but it would not connect so could not turn car off
My husband had to wait in car one time for over 20 min before he could make the Park work and come inside...
he took it to dealership who ordered new shifter
first one had some issue—-there was “play” with the shifter
took it back and got 2nd installed—-that did the trick—no play and no more problems.
what we had wasn’t an error message though like the OP described...
have never had that happen

1 - 3 of 3 Posts