Squeaky Brakes... - Chevy Traverse Forum: Chevrolet Traverse Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Thomcat
  • 1 Post By drtbk4ever
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 6
Squeaky Brakes...

I understand having squeaky breaks overnight if the car is kept outside due to weather conditions is normal BUT my Traverse is garage kept and we still get the very loud/high pitched squeaky brakes for the initial 1-2min ride. Mileage is at 9k. The sound also happens after getting gas and/or making a quick stop at the grocery store etc. Anyone else experiencing this??

Cheap factory pads?? Still plenty of life on the pads too. Dirt/dust buildup??


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
julius_raymond is offline  
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:08 PM
Senior Member
 
Thomcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,633
.02





Kept outside in moist/rainy conditions the rotors get a thin layer of surface rust which will growl, not screech, the first few stops. Cheap pads usually don't screech, because they have softer surfaces and wear out quicker



Often a high pitched screeching is the result of two mirrored surfaces in contact. Sounds like pads did not break-in in properly, could be too many hard stops and/or riding brake heat glazed the pads and they screech when in contact with the rotor.


Pulling and scuffing the pads and rotor surfaces will at least provide a temporary, or possibly permanent fix depending on pad surface condition. If not permanent ....new pads and skinning the rotors.
julius_raymond likes this.

Current Chevys -'19 Silverado RST;'18 Malibu LT Redline;'18 Traverse Premier Redline<br /><br />Previous&nbsp; Chevys:16 Silverado LT;16 Malibu LT2;'17 Impala;'16 MalibuLT;'15 Camaro LS;'15 Traverse; '13,'12 and '07 Avalanche LTs; '11 Tahoe LT; '13 &'11 Malibu LTs; '08 Trailblazer;'06 Colorado WT..... Chrysler era.....'80 Citation;'75 Impala;'72 Chevelle;'69 Camaro R/T;'65 Impala SS;'62 Nova
Thomcat is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 08:40 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomcat View Post
.02





Kept outside in moist/rainy conditions the rotors get a thin layer of surface rust which will growl, not screech, the first few stops. Cheap pads usually don't screech, because they have softer surfaces and wear out quicker


Often a high pitched screeching is the result of two mirrored surfaces in contact. Sounds like pads did not break-in in properly, could be too many hard stops and/or riding brake heat glazed the pads and they screech when in contact with the rotor.


Pulling and scuffing the pads and rotor surfaces will at least provide a temporary, or possibly permanent fix depending on pad surface condition. If not permanent ....new pads and skinning the rotors.
I'm always amused to get behind someone who drives with "both feet." They'll go miles down the road with their left foot on the brake. I'm sure they then bitch about the car manufacturer when they need new brakes at 25K miles!

2011 2LT FWD replaced by 2017 2LT AWD
greentraverse is offline  
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 09:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 49
I believe there is a technical service bulletin on the brakes. There is a thread on that on the traverse Facebook page.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
julius_raymond likes this.
drtbk4ever is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtbk4ever View Post
I believe there is a technical service bulletin on the brakes. There is a thread on that on the traverse Facebook page.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


Are you able to post a link and/or copy & paste? Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
julius_raymond is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Thomcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by julius_raymond View Post
Are you able to post a link and/or copy & paste? Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk








Have fun looking....... I suspect even the ones for Traverse are mixed and contain TSBs for other model lines, e.g. I'm not aware Traverse's equipped with diesels.



https://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevro...rse/2018/tsbs/


https://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevro...rse/2019/tsbs/

Current Chevys -'19 Silverado RST;'18 Malibu LT Redline;'18 Traverse Premier Redline<br /><br />Previous&nbsp; Chevys:16 Silverado LT;16 Malibu LT2;'17 Impala;'16 MalibuLT;'15 Camaro LS;'15 Traverse; '13,'12 and '07 Avalanche LTs; '11 Tahoe LT; '13 &'11 Malibu LTs; '08 Trailblazer;'06 Colorado WT..... Chrysler era.....'80 Citation;'75 Impala;'72 Chevelle;'69 Camaro R/T;'65 Impala SS;'62 Nova
Thomcat is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 03:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 124
Just had the 19 in for this a second time. New brake pads installed.

2013 Traverse LT (traded)<br />2014 Traverse LT<br />2016 Traverse LT AWD, 2019 Traverse Red Line
NTMD8TOR is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Traverse Forum: Chevrolet Traverse Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome