I felt nauseous and my ears popping while driving my 2019 Traverse on the highway thi - Chevy Traverse Forum: Chevrolet Traverse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 7
I felt nauseous and my ears popping while driving my 2019 Traverse on the highway thi

I put almost 3,500 miles on my 2019 Chevrolet Traverse High Country without any problems until this morning . This link explains exactly what I felt :

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wzz...d=69-350530119
Huntzjr is offline  
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chicago NW Burbs
Posts: 73
That's strange (and a bit scary).
The article from that link suggests this might be related to the Automatic Noise Cancellation system?

I have heard that it is possible for an ANC system to amplify instead of cancel certain frequencies, especially if a vehicle has had modifications (aftermarket exhaust / intake systems, in one case someone added an aftermarket subwoofer and then had to disable his ANC, a late model Malibu).

If you haven't made modifications; it is also possible the ANC system itself has developed an issue. Somewhere; I have read that the ANC microphones in the headliner could be at fault...?

Will you be taking it in to the dealer (with a hard copy of that linked article)?
cuzed2 is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 7
I added front and rear bumper guards when I first got my Traverse , that's about it . The Traverse has been running beautiful until now . The pressure I felt was like being in an airplane . The wierd part is my wife didn't feel any different .

I'm going to do a process of elimination on my own first before I go to the Dealer . Thanks for your input .





Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
That's strange (and a bit scary).
The article from that link suggests this might be related to the Automatic Noise Cancellation system?

I have heard that it is possible for an ANC system to amplify instead of cancel certain frequencies, especially if a vehicle has had modifications (aftermarket exhaust / intake systems, in one case someone added an aftermarket subwoofer and then had to disable his ANC, a late model Malibu).

If you haven't made modifications; it is also possible the ANC system itself has developed an issue. Somewhere; I have read that the ANC microphones in the headliner could be at fault...?

Will you be taking it in to the dealer (with a hard copy of that linked article)?
Huntzjr is offline  
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:44 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Chicago NW Burbs
Posts: 73
Not exactly sure; but I believe @Thomcat has found a way to pull a fuse, to temporarily shut down the ANC system?
cuzed2 is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 09:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Thomcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzed2 View Post
Not exactly sure; but I believe @Thomcat has found a way to pull a fuse, to temporarily shut down the ANC system?

.02

The hyperlinked article indicated that disabling the ANC (pulling the RDO fuse) was the first thing that was done and it didn't make a difference, but a good start.



Carsickness is nothing new to adults, children or pets. Usually the result of second row seating directly above the rear axle, although in the Suburban, just as with the '18+ Traverse, the second row seating is forward of the rear axle. Our old Trailblazer second row seating riders would get a little queasy on long trips which I attributed to getting constantly "humped" by the rear axle motion.



The "buffeting" noise in the article is atypical and nothing an ANC can compensate for since it appears to be pressure related. Some people will be more susceptible than this than others. Looks like the dealer in the article is pi$$ing away money trying to fix it without using a rational approach. First thing that I'd do is to place a carbon monoxide detector and manometer for measuring air pressure in the closed vehicle, remove any roof rack crossbars and then take it for a ride. If CO intrusion and poisoning is causing the nausea it will show on the detector. Variations in pressure caused by poor sealing of the hatch, windows, doors or firewall or defective HVAC seals will show as fluctuations on the manometer. If they're OK then the problem is noise not air pressure related and next steps progressively are to check the rubber seal on the leading edge of the hood for tightness, the underbelly to assure any skid plates and air trim tabs weren't removed and chucked during the last oil change, fold the mirrors, disable the aero shutters in the open position, place easily removable painters masking tape over the front windshield seals, especially in the bottom corners where there are two shaped plastic deflectors (if these deflectors are loose or missing, there will be noise!) and in a last desperation cross rotate the tires and retry. Good luck because I doubt the dealer will take this approach.



All that being said - on occasion I will get that exact "buffeting" sound, unrelated to this complaint?, coming through the speakers in the Bose system.....more to do with the cheapo front end on the radio but might be aggravated by the ANC function.....only get the noise on two stations and the buffeting noise sounds exactly like what I used to get on my ham radio requiring use of a BFO (beat frequency oscillating) knob to quiet.

Current Chevys -'19 Silverado RST;'18 Malibu LT Redline;'18 Traverse Premier Redline<br /><br />Previous&nbsp; Chevys:16 Silverado LT;16 Malibu LT2;'17 Impala;'16 MalibuLT;'15 Camaro LS;'15 Traverse; '13,'12 and '07 Avalanche LTs; '11 Tahoe LT; '13 &'11 Malibu LTs; '08 Trailblazer;'06 Colorado WT..... Chrysler era.....'80 Citation;'75 Impala;'72 Chevelle;'69 Camaro R/T;'65 Impala SS;'62 Nova
Thomcat is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 7
I think I found the reason for me getting sick in my Traverse . Today was the first time in 2 days since I got sick in the Traverse , that I've been in my Traverse again .

So I remote started the Traverse this morning as I always do . I went downstairs and into my Traverse 20 min after remote starting it . Almost immediately after putting on my seat belt I felt my ears closing up and pressure in my chest and head . I cracked the window open a little and headed for the highway . After about 15 min of driving I felt better again . I closed the window and everything was still ok .

I racked my brains out trying to figure what was causing my sickness , then a light bulb went off . On Wednesday when I first got sick I remembered someone parking right on top of my bumper , I was pissed . I also remember remote starting the Traverse and letting it run for over 30 min . Because my Wife wasn't ready to leave yet . I was overtired that morning so I didn't realize I felt like **** because of something with the Traverse .

While I was driving this morning I kept thinking of similarities to Wednesday morning . This morning another car was inches away from my bumper again . My Traverse this morning was remote started and running for only 15 min . So my sickness cleared up pretty fast . I'm now thinking because these cars were so close to my bumper when my Traverse was running with the heat on . That carbon monoxide got into the Traverse . I will find out later when I go to pick up my wife . No one can park behind me now because I'm parked in front of a driveway.

Here is and article that I found explaining symptoms that some people , not all , can get from exposure to carbon monoxide :

https://www.asha.org/uploadedFiles/A...ng-Balance.pdf
Huntzjr is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 01:22 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Lehighton, Penna.
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntzjr View Post
I think I found the reason for me getting sick in my Traverse . Today was the first time in 2 days since I got sick in the Traverse , that I've been in my Traverse again .

So I remote started the Traverse this morning as I always do . I went downstairs and into my Traverse 20 min after remote starting it . Almost immediately after putting on my seat belt I felt my ears closing up and pressure in my chest and head . I cracked the window open a little and headed for the highway . After about 15 min of driving I felt better again . I closed the window and everything was still ok .

I racked my brains out trying to figure what was causing my sickness , then a light bulb went off . On Wednesday when I first got sick I remembered someone parking right on top of my bumper , I was pissed . I also remember remote starting the Traverse and letting it run for over 30 min . Because my Wife wasn't ready to leave yet . I was overtired that morning so I didn't realize I felt like **** because of something with the Traverse .

While I was driving this morning I kept thinking of similarities to Wednesday morning . This morning another car was inches away from my bumper again . My Traverse this morning was remote started and running for only 15 min . So my sickness cleared up pretty fast . I'm now thinking because these cars were so close to my bumper when my Traverse was running with the heat on . That carbon monoxide got into the Traverse . I will find out later when I go to pick up my wife . No one can park behind me now because I'm parked in front of a driveway.

Here is and article that I found explaining symptoms that some people , not all , can get from exposure to carbon monoxide :

https://www.asha.org/uploadedFiles/A...ng-Balance.pdf

Not sure where you're located, but, now that the Winter is all but over, why would you be remote starting your car in the first place? Doesn't seem to serve a purpose unless your vehicle is outdoors and is really cold. Why don't you try to not use the remote start and get used to it.

On the other hand, assuming that you are parked outdoors, even if there is a vehicle parked right on your ass, something isn't right if the exhaust is getting into your vehicle.
jeepgrady is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 01:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Thomcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,645
GM used to promote their flow through ventilation system....vent is always slightly cracked and fan on ultra low speed......commercials would show a smoke bomb lit in the interior with windows shut and within a few minutes the interior was cleared of smoke. Could be using the same system and f exhaust curls under the car could find its way into the HVAC system, especially if set to heat on with remote start where the fan will run.




Worth a few bucks to throw a CO detector into the closed interior to verify it is just a unique parking and not a chronic problem. The High Contry comes with a trailer hitch behind the bumper. A small cutout in the bumper closeout and a Weathertech Bump Stop in the hitch will keep a distance and prevent marring of the bumper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0109.jpg (56.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0457.JPG (75.5 KB, 18 views)

Current Chevys -'19 Silverado RST;'18 Malibu LT Redline;'18 Traverse Premier Redline<br /><br />Previous&nbsp; Chevys:16 Silverado LT;16 Malibu LT2;'17 Impala;'16 MalibuLT;'15 Camaro LS;'15 Traverse; '13,'12 and '07 Avalanche LTs; '11 Tahoe LT; '13 &'11 Malibu LTs; '08 Trailblazer;'06 Colorado WT..... Chrysler era.....'80 Citation;'75 Impala;'72 Chevelle;'69 Camaro R/T;'65 Impala SS;'62 Nova
Thomcat is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 01:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Thomcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgrady View Post
Not sure where you're located, but, now that the Winter is all but over, why would you be remote starting your car in the first place? Doesn't seem to serve a purpose unless your vehicle is outdoors and is really cold. Why don't you try to not use the remote start and get used to it.

On the other hand, assuming that you are parked outdoors, even if there is a vehicle parked right on your ass, something isn't right if the exhaust is getting into your vehicle.

Rectangular exhaust finishers on the High Country/Premiere are straight out the rear bumper. If someone parks on your a$$ the exhaust gases curl under the frame ad end up close to the front vent intake.




Always use the remote start for two reasons - a failed remote start is an alert alert there are stored trouble codes in the computer; and affords me the decision which vehicle to take - tell the wife: "I'll lock up - get in the one that is running....."

Current Chevys -'19 Silverado RST;'18 Malibu LT Redline;'18 Traverse Premier Redline<br /><br />Previous&nbsp; Chevys:16 Silverado LT;16 Malibu LT2;'17 Impala;'16 MalibuLT;'15 Camaro LS;'15 Traverse; '13,'12 and '07 Avalanche LTs; '11 Tahoe LT; '13 &'11 Malibu LTs; '08 Trailblazer;'06 Colorado WT..... Chrysler era.....'80 Citation;'75 Impala;'72 Chevelle;'69 Camaro R/T;'65 Impala SS;'62 Nova
Thomcat is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 7
I did order a CO detector a few hours ago on amazon , thanks for your helpful input .


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomcat View Post
GM used to promote their flow through ventilation system....vent is always slightly cracked and fan on ultra low speed......commercials would show a smoke bomb lit in the interior with windows shut and within a few minutes the interior was cleared of smoke. Could be using the same system and f exhaust curls under the car could find its way into the HVAC system, especially if set to heat on with remote start where the fan will run.




Worth a few bucks to throw a CO detector into the closed interior to verify it is just a unique parking and not a chronic problem. The High Contry comes with a trailer hitch behind the bumper. A small cutout in the bumper closeout and a Weathertech Bump Stop in the hitch will keep a distance and prevent marring of the bumper.
Huntzjr is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Traverse Forum: Chevrolet Traverse Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome