2019 Headlight Color - Chevy Traverse Forum: Chevrolet Traverse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
mbg
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 76
2019 Headlight Color

I have a 2019 LT-Cloth. Few times I have had oncoming drivers flash there brights at me. So when I thought about it I drove close to the garage door to see if both lights were working. They were but it's strange the drivers side light has sort of a pink outline and the passenger side more white or yellow. Even standing outside the vehicle and looking at the lights you see the same coloring. How do you explain this?

(I love the brightness of headlights while driving - just curious about the hint of color.)


Mike
mbg is offline  
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 08:04 PM
Senior Member
 
Thomcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbg View Post
I have a 2019 LT-Cloth. Few times I have had oncoming drivers flash there brights at me. So when I thought about it I drove close to the garage door to see if both lights were working. They were but it's strange the drivers side light has sort of a pink outline and the passenger side more white or yellow. Even standing outside the vehicle and looking at the lights you see the same coloring. How do you explain this?

(I love the brightness of headlights while driving - just curious about the hint of color.)


Mike

Check to see if the headlamp bulb is fully seated.....if in crooked it will be out of focus.

Current Chevys -'19 Silverado RST;'18 Malibu LT Redline;'18 Traverse Premier Redline<br /><br />Previous&nbsp; Chevys:16 Silverado LT;16 Malibu LT2;'17 Impala;'16 MalibuLT;'15 Camaro LS;'15 Traverse; '13,'12 and '07 Avalanche LTs; '11 Tahoe LT; '13 &'11 Malibu LTs; '08 Trailblazer;'06 Colorado WT..... Chrysler era.....'80 Citation;'75 Impala;'72 Chevelle;'69 Camaro R/T;'65 Impala SS;'62 Nova
Thomcat is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
mbg
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 76
This is bothering me again. Both lights seem to be in focus but the passenger side is bright white while the drivers side is orange/yellow tint. Hard to take a photo of this since the lights are so bright compared to the background.

What might be causing this?(pic attached)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg traverse headlights.jpg (531.3 KB, 39 views)
mbg is offline  
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 06:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Thomcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,633
Stock stock 5202/H16/PS24W bulbs are yellow. If one is white either an LED or upgraded Silverstar or similar xenon was substituted or the filament is shorted and burning really hot in which case a few heavy jolts will burn it out. Or, maybe the lamp assembly is not squarely seated/snapped in the the bumper.


Take a flash light and look backwards through the fog lamp lenses to see it they loo the same. Picture doesn't look that white, better comparison is by looking at the color through the front of the lens. Here's what one white LED looks like compared to a yellow halogen/xenon.....as compared to two white LEDs.


And no flashing from oncoming drivers even at night on unlit roads
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0338 (2).JPG (74.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0342 (2).JPG (74.0 KB, 18 views)

Current Chevys -'19 Silverado RST;'18 Malibu LT Redline;'18 Traverse Premier Redline<br /><br />Previous&nbsp; Chevys:16 Silverado LT;16 Malibu LT2;'17 Impala;'16 MalibuLT;'15 Camaro LS;'15 Traverse; '13,'12 and '07 Avalanche LTs; '11 Tahoe LT; '13 &'11 Malibu LTs; '08 Trailblazer;'06 Colorado WT..... Chrysler era.....'80 Citation;'75 Impala;'72 Chevelle;'69 Camaro R/T;'65 Impala SS;'62 Nova
Thomcat is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 09:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomcat View Post
.... And no flashing from oncoming drivers even at night on unlit roads
I get flashed about once a night when I'm driving. But, it always seems to be from drivers in sedans or lower riding cars. They seem to fail to realize that because they're sitting lower than other cars, that taller cars (eg: SUVs) are higher and the headlights are now at nearly their eye level, depending on their height behind the wheel.

So more than likely, your lights are adjusted/aimed correctly, it's the other driver is just sitting at eye level to your headlights now. Regular low beams are pointed at their eyes now due to the differences in height, or rather the lining up of the heights now.
Section9 is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
mbg
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomcat View Post
Stock stock 5202/H16/PS24W bulbs are yellow. If one is white either an LED or upgraded Silverstar or similar xenon was substituted or the filament is shorted and burning really hot in which case a few heavy jolts will burn it out. Or, maybe the lamp assembly is not squarely seated/snapped in the the bumper.


Take a flash light and look backwards through the fog lamp lenses to see it they loo the same. Picture doesn't look that white, better comparison is by looking at the color through the front of the lens. Here's what one white LED looks like compared to a yellow halogen/xenon.....as compared to two white LEDs.


And no flashing from oncoming drivers even at night on unlit roads
Thomcat - I need to upgrade those fog lamps (bulbs are in my Amazon cart), but, this light projection is from the headlights not fog.

Mike
mbg is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 03:18 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 26
Since it's under warranty just bring it up next time you're in for service to make sure that everything's good with the headlight assemblies themselves. If they are, then I'd buy a pair of replacement bulbs to see if that addresses the issue.
No2rdame is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 01:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Thomcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,633
Sorry for the confusion on my part. I believe that the LTs use projector headlamps. This system uses the same bulb for the low beam and high beam.


Each headlamp has a "shutter" that chops off the top of the high beam to create a low beam. This can be easily seen when operating the lamps.....there is a visible light cutoff visible in the distance. If one or both of the shutters fails to operate the projector will stay on high beam. You can lift the hood and listen for the shutter sound. From what you describe could be a frozen shutte on one of the projector assemblies.

Current Chevys -'19 Silverado RST;'18 Malibu LT Redline;'18 Traverse Premier Redline<br /><br />Previous&nbsp; Chevys:16 Silverado LT;16 Malibu LT2;'17 Impala;'16 MalibuLT;'15 Camaro LS;'15 Traverse; '13,'12 and '07 Avalanche LTs; '11 Tahoe LT; '13 &'11 Malibu LTs; '08 Trailblazer;'06 Colorado WT..... Chrysler era.....'80 Citation;'75 Impala;'72 Chevelle;'69 Camaro R/T;'65 Impala SS;'62 Nova
Thomcat is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
mbg
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomcat View Post
Sorry for the confusion on my part. I believe that the LTs use projector headlamps. This system uses the same bulb for the low beam and high beam.


Each headlamp has a "shutter" that chops off the top of the high beam to create a low beam. This can be easily seen when operating the lamps.....there is a visible light cutoff visible in the distance. If one or both of the shutters fails to operate the projector will stay on high beam. You can lift the hood and listen for the shutter sound. From what you describe could be a frozen shutte on one of the projector assemblies.
Shutters Learn something everyday. I tried the high beams and sure enough shutters. I will mention my headlight color being different to the dealer but here is a better pic I took this weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg traverse headlights.jpg (367.2 KB, 26 views)
mbg is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 05:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 51
Wow quite the difference!
Assuming that garage door photo is with the high-beams on; looks like a mis-match of 2 different bulbs (2 different color temperatures)?
cuzed2 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Traverse Forum: Chevrolet Traverse Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome