Fuel Mileage - Chevy Traverse Forum: Chevrolet Traverse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Willow Park,TX.
Posts: 187
Fuel Mileage

Oldest son bought a new Highlander. Gets 27+ MPG.


Best I ever got got on my 15 is 19.87 MPG...........that really stinks.
srwa is offline  
post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 09:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: MD
Posts: 174
I just got 21 on a tank that was 2/3s trip to the beach with some driving while at the beach and 3 days of my commute on back roads with plenty of stop signs and lights.

I suspect I could get 23-24 if we made a Disney trip without the roof box on, maybe even 1 mpg better if I pulled the cross bars off.

Our '15 Pilot gets about the same with 30 less hp and a 5 speed auto, I have the VCM "muzzled" on it.

I think these are both pretty good numbers for 3 rows with the room these have.

What are the specs of his Highlander? Don't they still make a 4 cylinder version?

Current Vehicles:
-2015 Pilot EX-L AWD
-2014 Traverse LT2 AWD
-1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan 283 3MT

Family Muscle:
-1969 Camaro SS 350 4MT
-1957 210 2 Door Wagon (project)
-1939 Ford 3 Window 2 Door (project)

Past Vehicles:
-2008 Sonata SE V6
-2012 Silverado LS 4.8 4WD EC
-2011 Rogue SL AWD
-2006 Accord Sedan EX-L K24 5MT
-2012 Tacoma DCSB V6 6MT 4WD
-2011 Civic Si Sedan
-2001 Pathfinder VQ35 5MT 4WD
-1997 Pathfinder VG33 4AT 4WD
-1999 ML320 4WD
-1997 Accord LX Sedan F22 4AT
cintocrunch is offline  
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 10:04 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Iowa
Posts: 49
Took a trip to Florida from Iowa this summer and averaged just under 27 mpg for the whole round trip. Probably would have been closer to 30 if we hadn't done so much city driving when we were in Florida. I do remember at one point flipping the DIC to show the last 450 miles average and it was 31 at one point. We do have a 2018 Traverse Redline which has the switchable AWD so the entire trip was in FWD only mode.


If the Highlander only has AWD, then those are pretty good numbers. I think a lot of companies are moving to either a switchable AWD system or some form of "intelligent" system that only engages when it needs it.

Current vehicles
2015 SS (daily)
1953 210 (fun car)
2018 Traverse Redline
Previous vehicles
2013 Cruze
2011 Equinox
1985 Regal
2006 Cobalt SS/SC
2005 Cobalt
1993 Sunbird
tdirlmeierSS is offline  
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Willow Park,TX.
Posts: 187
Highlander is a 6. Will get more specific later.


Over the past year have seen mileage all over the map on different year models of these Traverse's. Engine and drive train the same.Seems strange, don't U think?



Guess its all driver related...........I "stick" the ole foot in it just about every time I'm in it. I'm a mile & 1/2 off I-20, have to get on it to go anywhere, average speed 80, speed limit 70. West of Pecos one can stick both feet in it.....BUT, why would 1 even go to Pecos in the first place, much less go West from there? Best description of Odessa: 1000 miles of beach in every direction and 5 feet from H#@@.
srwa is offline  
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 09-27-2019, 03:49 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: MD
Posts: 174
Better question, why would one ever go to Texas Just kidding! At least I know where not to go now from a local...

In something this big and heavy and with that many cylinders driving style is DEFINITELY a huge contribution to variations. I live in MD but the traffic here can be so congested that you constantly have to be on the gas hard or are in stop and go traffic. I prefer not to drive that hard all the time in the Traverse but my shifts are pretty regularly at 4k or so.

Current Vehicles:
-2015 Pilot EX-L AWD
-2014 Traverse LT2 AWD
-1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan 283 3MT

Family Muscle:
-1969 Camaro SS 350 4MT
-1957 210 2 Door Wagon (project)
-1939 Ford 3 Window 2 Door (project)

Past Vehicles:
-2008 Sonata SE V6
-2012 Silverado LS 4.8 4WD EC
-2011 Rogue SL AWD
-2006 Accord Sedan EX-L K24 5MT
-2012 Tacoma DCSB V6 6MT 4WD
-2011 Civic Si Sedan
-2001 Pathfinder VQ35 5MT 4WD
-1997 Pathfinder VG33 4AT 4WD
-1999 ML320 4WD
-1997 Accord LX Sedan F22 4AT
cintocrunch is offline  
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-01-2019, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Willow Park,TX.
Posts: 187
Not to get off topic, But am going to;.......................reading on several different threads about the 3.6 VVT engine there seems to be a whole host of "inherent problems" that are just waiting to happen if one doesn't use the right kind of oil, change soon & often, "walnut blast" the valves(whatever that is),etc.,etc.



Now, I literally came kickin & screamin into the 21 century, "vehicle wise", in May of 18 when I went from a 97 Plymouth Grand Voyager 3.3 with a 41 TE and 285k to a 15 Traverse LS 3.6vvt. Never touched the 3.3 engine; replaced every thing attached to that engine several times. Bought the thing new and changed oil/ filter every 4 to 5k, used Walmart Super Tech 10w30 and a Fram filter. "Burns' about a quart every 1200/1500 mi. Chrysler made 4 different engines,2 4's & 2 6's.for the Town & Country, Grand Caravan, & Voyager. Don't know about the 4's but the 6's were excellent.


Question; has the industry gotten so "high tech" of late with the LLT'S, VVT'S, 6,7,8,9, gear trannys that they've built themselves a nightmare?

Last edited by srwa; 10-01-2019 at 10:36 PM.
srwa is offline  
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 08:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: MD
Posts: 174
It's your topic to begin with, you have the right to take it off course if you want...

I would say that yes, the engines and drivetrain and ancillary components have become so high tech that it is much more challenging for your average joe to work on them or even diagnose them. I would say a lot of cars in the 90's hit that sweet spot, they had just enough advancement to make them super reliable with minimal maintenance (unlike say chevy small blocks that were reliable but needed constant (albeit minor) tweaking). Now engines can still be really reliable and run for 100,000 miles with minimal maintenance but when something goes wrong they are **** near impossible to work on.

Current Vehicles:
-2015 Pilot EX-L AWD
-2014 Traverse LT2 AWD
-1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan 283 3MT

Family Muscle:
-1969 Camaro SS 350 4MT
-1957 210 2 Door Wagon (project)
-1939 Ford 3 Window 2 Door (project)

Past Vehicles:
-2008 Sonata SE V6
-2012 Silverado LS 4.8 4WD EC
-2011 Rogue SL AWD
-2006 Accord Sedan EX-L K24 5MT
-2012 Tacoma DCSB V6 6MT 4WD
-2011 Civic Si Sedan
-2001 Pathfinder VQ35 5MT 4WD
-1997 Pathfinder VG33 4AT 4WD
-1999 ML320 4WD
-1997 Accord LX Sedan F22 4AT
cintocrunch is offline  
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Willow Park,TX.
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by cintocrunch View Post
It's your topic to begin with, you have the right to take it off course if you want...

I would say that yes, the engines and drivetrain and ancillary components have become so high tech that it is much more challenging for your average joe to work on them or even diagnose them. I would say a lot of cars in the 90's hit that sweet spot, they had just enough advancement to make them super reliable with minimal maintenance (unlike say chevy small blocks that were reliable but needed constant (albeit minor) tweaking). Now engines can still be really reliable and run for 100,000 miles with minimal maintenance but when something goes wrong they are **** near impossible to work on.

Exactly...........case in point; as I type a response I'm looking at the 10:00 o'clock position and low & behold, there's a thread on GDI V6 VVT Actuator.....whatever the Sam Hill that it. Did look them up, there are 4, 2 intake & 2 exhaust. Thats about as far as I got.


And Also, have recently been on a timing chain thread.....Well ,went on UTube to take a look see. My beast has 2 chains & 4 gears.........guess thats where the VVT comes in......right??!

And, And, Also, have always bought the "Detroit Shop Manual" for every vehicle I've owned, but the cheapest manuals I've found are $415.00 plus shipping, and thats for a 4 volume set.



Knot quite ready yet



Just reinforced what U replied above.


Question: is Ford, Chrysler, Toyota and the other manufactors is "advanced" as GM?

Last edited by srwa; 10-02-2019 at 12:28 PM.
srwa is offline  
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 12:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by srwa View Post
Exactly...........case in point; as I type a response I'm looking at the 10:00 o'clock position and low & behold, there's a thread on GDI V6 VVT Actuator.....whatever the Sam Hill that it. Did look them up, there are 4, 2 intake & 2 exhaust. Thats about as far as I got.


And Also, have recently been on a timing chain thread.....Well ,went on UTube to take a look see. My beast has 2 chains & 4 gears.........guess thats where the VVT comes in......right??!

And, And, Also, have always bought the "Detroit Shop Manual" for every vehicle I've owned, but the cheapest manuals I've found are $415.00 plus shipping, and thats for a 4 volume set.



Knot quite ready yet



Just reinforced what U replied above.


Question: is Ford, Chrysler, Toyota and the other manufactors is "advanced" as GM?
Do a search for "shop manual" at the top of the page. Someone has posted a link to a free version. Alternatively, you can access the manual at alldatadiy.com for about $20/yr. I find it's easier to use than the download version.

2011 2LT FWD replaced by 2017 2LT AWD
greentraverse is offline  
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Willow Park,TX.
Posts: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentraverse View Post
Do a search for "shop manual" at the top of the page. Someone has posted a link to a free version. Alternatively, you can access the manual at alldatadiy.com for about $20/yr. I find it's easier to use than the download version.



At the very top of page?


Have used AllData several years ago. Their good, but kinda/sorta of a hassle going from the computer to the garage.


Probably wind up with them again.
srwa is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Traverse Forum: Chevrolet Traverse Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome