TraverseForum.com
Bookmark and Share
April 24, 2014, 05:16:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for something smaller than the Traverse? Check out the all new Chevy Equinox at http://www.EquinoxForum.net

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: Air Conditioning Weirdness....  (Read 11136 times)
Narg

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2010, 04:34:41 PM »

Yeah, I know, it's the middle of Winter...  But I'm starting to wonder about the A/C in my Traverse.  I use the "auto" setting almost 100% of the time.  Even in the Winter, I've seen times where the A/C would turn on even though it's cold and the system should be blowing heat.  It does blow heat and not cold which is good.  But that's just one oddity, and I think it's been talked about else where in the forum (search couldn't find it...).  But that's not the real problem...

Now, what really bugs me is something that happened yesterday.  It was a rather cold and rainy day.  I got in my Traverse and there was a lot of fog on the glass, so I turned on the defrost setting and tried to turn on the A/C to give it more moisture removable abilities.  I've always done defrosting this way, it really helps pull the wetness out of the air quickly and get the frost/fog off the glass very quickly.  However, yesterday the A/C would not turn on.  When I would hit the button the A/C light would only flash a few times, then go off.  I was in a hurry and was already moving, and the fog on the glass took forever to go away which really bugged me.  I should have been able to add the A/C and blow dry air on the windows.

Does anyone else see this problem? 
khansen30

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 04:40:49 PM »

Even though the light does not come on the compressor does when you manually go to the defrost setting.  The button wont stay lit because the temp inside the vehicle is to cold.  Now when it comes on during auto probably means that the temp in the vehicle is warmer than the setting, thus turning on the a/c.  When you switch over to the defrost setting are you increasing the blower speed?  I'm sure you know that you have to increase it manually. 

If you adjust the vent setting to say feet and windshield, the compressor does not come on, it's just redirected air flow in the manual setting.  If you are doing this, that is why you wont get the fog to go away.

2009 Acadia SLT2 FWD (Mine)
Quicksilver - Titanium Leather
Everything but HUD

2008 Aura XR (Wifes)
Red Jewel - Tan Leather
Advanced Audio - Sunroof
Narg

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 04:45:54 PM »

Yep, I know about GM defrost modes and the A/C.  I couldn't tell that the A/C was on at all yesterday though.  I've had the A/C come on auto in all types of coldness though, inside and outside the Traverse.  It would blow warm air and the A/C would be on at the same time.  I guess I might be too used to manual air controls.  If the auto stuff works this way, then I'd say that's for the birds!

I'll bug my dealer and post anything he says about it.
Quantum
Global Moderator
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »

Straight out of the 2010 Traverse Owner's Manual:

0(Defrost): This clears the
windshield of fog or frost, more
quickly. Air is directed to the
windshield and side window vents,
with some to the floor vents. In this
mode, outside air is pulled inside
the vehicle. Recirculation cannot be
selected while in the defrost mode.
The air conditioning system runs
automatically in this setting, unless
the outside temperature is less than
4C (40F). Do not drive the vehicle
until all the windows are clear.
# (Air Conditioning): Press to
turn the air conditioning system on
or off. An indicator light comes on
when A/C is on.  The air conditioning
system does not operate when the
outside temperature is below 4C
(40F). The indicator light flashes
three times and turns off when
outside conditions affect air
conditioning operation. This is
normal.

2010 Traverse 1LT
Built 3/10 in Lansing, MI

Ontario, Canada
Narg

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2010, 10:49:28 AM »

Thanks Quantum.  I'm going to rate that "feature" as a negative Sad  If I want to turn on the A/C at 20 degrees, I want to turn it on.  Grrrr!
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2010, 01:38:03 PM »

I think its done as to not damage the AC system.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    20,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    77,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-172,000
Quantum
Global Moderator
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 02:09:01 PM »

Ditto

2010 Traverse 1LT

Ontario, Canada
Narg

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 01:19:36 PM »

I wonder how it would damage it?  Freon, I believe its R-134, doesn't freeze until -204 Degrees F.  I've had times where during driving I would run into air changes that quickly fog the windows.  Turning on the A/C is the only way to quickly un-fog them. heat was too slow.  All this while going highway speeds.  Maybe they need to figure out another way to protect the A/C...
Quantum
Global Moderator
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 06:11:40 PM »

It is to protect the A/C compressor.  There is oil in the compressor that keeps things lubricated.  The oil gets too thick to be effective in the colder temps.  That's why you can't use the A/C below certain temps. 

2010 Traverse 1LT

Ontario, Canada
bobg1951chevy
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 10:17:19 PM »

It is to protect the A/C compressor.  There is oil in the compressor that keeps things lubricated.  The oil gets too thick to be effective in the colder temps.  That's why you can't use the A/C below certain temps. 

One other comment ... the oil is mixed with the freon, thus the concern for the inner workings of the a/c compressor.

Bob

2009 Silver Ice LS FWD
Built 6/3/09
1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 dr.
Built 7/1951  
www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/21579056

"Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like" .... Will Rogers
Acecooper

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 12:20:36 AM »

It seems that your air conditioning have problems. My suggestion is try to go to a car mechanic and speak about the problems. It is really dangerous to drive on a foggy day so you'd better have it fix as soon as possible.

AA/78U-Blue Gold
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 03:27:19 PM »

It seems that your air conditioning has a problems. My suggestion is try to go back with your dealer and speak with the problems. They can definitely fix it.

Link in signature block has nothing to do with air conditioning
Les

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 05:55:14 PM »

I just bought a 2011 Traverse and just found out that the a/c won't come on now that it is colder. I have severe asthma and allergies and have to have the outside vents sealed off. I previously have had 3 GM mini vans, the last was a buick Terraza--I always had the a/c on all winter to remove the humidity out of the air inside the vehicle. I absolutely loved my mini vans for traveling--lots of room, had expensive tires on them so they rode smooth, could run my a/c whenever I WANTED. I hate this new traverse and wish I had never bought it. Smaller, less room, rough ride (hurts my back all the time), LOUSY gas mileage (19 mpg hwy)--my buick van got up to 26 mpg hwy and 19 in town!! I guess its too late (on this forum) to tell people not to buy a traverse! This will probably be my last GM vehicle!! Feels like a communist vehicle because it does whatever it wants to and wont let me control anything. Did I mention that I HATE it??!!! Angry flaming mad
ls973800

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 09:40:33 PM »

Les, have you tried talking to your dealer to see if something could be done to allow the A/C to run, even in cold temperatures?  It's my understanding that a sensor is used to tell the A/C when to shut off if outside temps are too low.

I am sure there is some type of work around which would over ride that function in your case due to health reasons. 

2010 Summit White Traverse LTZ, Nav, Sunroof, Rear Entertainment, Towing, Rear Buckets w/Console-Added $3.00 Nav By-Pass, Rearview Mirror W/Compass, Cabin Air Filter, Lights to Homelink Buttons  SOLD 4/2012
Les

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 01:31:10 AM »

Thanks. I plan to contact the dealership tomorrow.
GXPWeasel
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2011, 09:10:53 AM »

I agree here Les.
You may have to loose the exterior temp sensor, as I believe that is what the Auto A/C function runns off of, and maybe if this was disconnected, or disabled, you could then run the A/C whenever you pleased. I agree with you on this, that there should be an override somehow. What if you run the Defrost, so that you can removed the Humidity, and run the air as Recirculate? Not sure if this works or not, but worth a try. Also, I have heard that if you have the Auto temp control, and you turn that off, and go to manual mode, you can turn the A/C on whenever you want.

I'm not in ours enought to tell you if this is true or not, but again, worth the try.

Hopefully you can get this issue resolved for you, so you can get to the place where you CAN ENJOY the Traverse. It really is a great vehicle, and if you get this biggest issue resolved for you, I'll be it will grow on you.

Good Luck.  thumbs up

Greg.

2010 Red Jewel LT2 (Spring Edition)
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2011, 12:49:43 PM »

rough ride (hurts my back all the time), LOUSY gas mileage (19 mpg hwy)--my buick van got up to 26 mpg hwy and 19 in town!!

Wow- im surprissed it rough- My Traverse is smooth and quiet- comfortable- and all highway mileage I achieve from 23 MPG with up to 8 people- to 31 MPG with 3 passengers.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    20,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    77,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-172,000
MarkM66

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 11:59:24 AM »

Bringing up an old one. 

I too find this to be a problem.  I can't get the windows to defrost when it's cold outside.  I believe its because the air isn't getting dried by the a/c system. 

I've never had a car do this before.  If I want the a/c to run, then I want it to run!

Can a dealer override this ?
greentraverse

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 08:25:06 PM »

If it's below 42 degrees F outside, the A/C isn't running anyway.  Must be a damper problem.
MarkM66

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2013, 07:21:20 AM »

If it's below 42 degrees F outside, the A/C isn't running anyway.  Must be a damper problem.

Yeah, that's the problem.  It's hard to defrost windows with humid outside non dried air. 

Surprisingly my econo box car doesn't have this great feature, and at 200k miles on it, the a/c has never had a problem,  Bang Head .
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories