TraverseForum.com
Bookmark and Share
November 20, 2014, 05:37:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Search all 4 Lambda Forums at once with the "Super Search" box! Click search in the top nav bar to find it.

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: Assist Steps installtion  (Read 12149 times)
ckostner

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2010, 03:35:37 PM »

Hey,
Well I asked my dealer again for a better price than the $550 they originally quoted, and they gave em to me for $450.  So I ordered em up, figured I couldnt beat that anywhere else factoring in shipping. 

Now the question is has anyone installed them?  I assume its not too terribly hard, but ya never know.  I am a pretty handy guy, always do my own maintenance, from oil changes up to replacing bearings on a crank shaft in a Buick GN.  So any thoughts on how the install went would be great.  I will get to it next week after they come in and follow up with my experience as well. 

Thanks
Chris
Toddzilla67

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 09:28:41 PM »

You might be able to look underneath one that already has these installed to see what you're up against.

Let us know how you did with this.

2010 Traverse LTZ AWD
Born 11/09
Silver Ice Metallic, Titanium Leather
DVD, Nav, Sunroof, Towing

Just drive it.
marjamr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 11:20:42 PM »

I recently installed a set of aftermarket SS tube running boards on our Traverse. It was easy and took about 1 hour. The holes are already under there and there was no drilling involved, at least for the product I installed. They are 3" SS tubes and cost me $259 from Running Board Warehouse.  Smiley

2010 Traverse, Gold Mist
07 Silverado 2500HD Classic w/plow
2010 Mazda Miata prht GT
I love Subarus and would be driving one right now if one could tow 5200lbs.
Gibby

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 07:25:18 AM »

Worthless

2009 Traverse 2LT
1999 Chevy Blazer
1988 Cadillac DeVille
2007 Harley Heritage Softail Classic
2007 Can-Am Outlander Max 800 XT
marjamr

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 11:21:57 AM »

Worthless

I see your point but it's too cold to crawl under the car with a digital camera right now. Grin

2010 Traverse, Gold Mist
07 Silverado 2500HD Classic w/plow
2010 Mazda Miata prht GT
I love Subarus and would be driving one right now if one could tow 5200lbs.
sixathome

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 04:35:43 PM »

Hey,
Well I asked my dealer again for a better price than the $550 they originally quoted, and they gave em to me for $450.  So I ordered em up, figured I couldnt beat that anywhere else factoring in shipping.  

Now the question is has anyone installed them?  I assume its not too terribly hard, but ya never know.  I am a pretty handy guy, always do my own maintenance, from oil changes up to replacing bearings on a crank shaft in a Buick GN.  So any thoughts on how the install went would be great.  I will get to it next week after they come in and follow up with my experience as well.  

Thanks
Chris

I've installed them and it's not to big of deal. You just have to have a good and dry place to work and allow a good amount of time, 1.5 to 2 hrs will be good. Follow the instructions and be careful of the "U" shaped bolt the you have to push and pull through two small holes in the body that has insulation behind it, once you get the bolt through put your bracket on and one nut to hold it so it does not fall off or into the body. That is the hardest part, the rest is making sure everything is flush with the car and level. Good luck  thumbs up.

2009' Saturn OUTLOOK 1XR- Quicksilver/Ebony Leather *SOLD*

2013' Suburban LT 4X4 Crystal Red/Ebony Leather

2005' VUE 3.5L Auto

2008' GMC SIERRA SLE 1500 Z71 Crew Cab LC9
BigBlackTraverse
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 06:28:11 PM »

Hay can you post a whole full side profile picture so we can see how they look on.

Thanks.

2013 Traverse FWD LT1  Black Granite
               All-Star Edition.
sixathome

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 08:13:52 PM »

Hay can you post a whole full side profile picture so we can see how they look on.

Thanks.

I'll see what I dig up  Smiley.

2005' VUE 3.5L Auto

Quantum
Global Moderator
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 10:42:25 AM »

Nice steps.  What brand are they, and where did you get them?  If you don't mind me asking, how much did they run you??  I maybe a canidate for steps if I want our children to be able to get into the Traverse on their own before they are 5yrs old!!

2010 Traverse 1LT
Built 3/10 in Lansing, MI

Ontario, Canada
sixathome

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 11:10:59 AM »

They are GM accessory brand. I paid $550.00 at my Saturn Dealer in May of 07' when I had my 1st OUTLOOK. Then when I got the 09' I just took them off of the 07' and installed them on the 09' right in my heated garage. If I were to do it again I would put Never Seez on the threads of the bolts, I live in the rust belt  so sad Oh No. We like them alot and our 2 youngest kids use them. If it was'nt for the kids I would not have bought them, so you could say it was for the kids  Smiley.

2005' VUE 3.5L Auto

Quantum
Global Moderator
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 02:14:25 PM »

If it was'nt for the kids I would not have bought them, so you could say it was for the kids  Smiley.

That is how I will justify them to my wife! Cheesy

2010 Traverse 1LT
Built 3/10 in Lansing, MI

Ontario, Canada
red426

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 09:47:30 PM »

I also added an aftermarket runningboards, Owen's Premiere, because of my 4 and 2 yr old kids, who kept on complaining because they are used to the steps on my Trailblazer. They are very happy now, and so am I.

2010 Summit White 2LT AWD
2006 Trailblazer EXT LT
jagincal

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 07:51:48 PM »

What brand of steps is that on Traverse? They look nice. Where did you get them?thumbs up
red426

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2010, 10:20:13 PM »

What brand of steps is that on Traverse? They look nice. Where did you get them?

Hi jagincal, they are Owen's Premiere runningboards specific for the Traverse. You can search their website. I got them here in Toronto, Canada for $400 plus $100 installation. I would imagine they will be cheaper there in USA.

2006 Trailblazer EXT LT
kittarg

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 09:07:57 PM »

Hi! I'm from Toronto too! Where did you get them. I am thinking of getting one for my Traverse.

Thanks!
red426

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2010, 06:18:37 PM »

Hi Kittarg, I got the runningboards at Van and truckworld. they have a website so you can see if there is any close to you. The one that I went is at Midland and Lawrence, Scarborough.

Sherwin

2006 Trailblazer EXT LT
Penforhire

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2010, 10:39:25 PM »

Anyone considering OEM steps, or any other expensive OEM part, should check at GMpartsdirect.com to at least see what a good price is.  They want $400.40 for our Assist Steps P/N 19170424 (plus shipping, no tax in most states).  I bought plenty of parts from these guys when I had a vette.
VB - LTZ

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 02:15:50 PM »

Smiley I buy from them all the time great prices normally on big items smaller items I just negotiate lower with the dealership.

Cool Steve

2010 Chevy Traverse LTZ Exterior Gold Mist Metallic Interior Cashmere / Ebony, DVD Rear Seat Entertainment W/ Toucscreen Navigation Rearview camera display, Bose, Voice Recognition, Remote control, wireless Headphones, 115 power outlet, XM, Trailering Package, Dual Skyscape Sunroof, Chrome 20's, Chr
ckostner

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 08:33:03 PM »

Ok finally got the steps installed today.  The directions from GM were pretty bad for a newbie.  The bracket kind of pinches the body channel that was kinda weird.   Using a bolt/u channel  that does not self center was bad design.  the other U bolt was absurd, with like 2 cents of engineering they could of prepped the frame a little easier and make it alot better.  Anyhow, few bolts and its all on.  Looks good and feels sturdy to my 220 lb self.   Should be good for the long haul. And they better be for the price.  Remember I paid 450 delievered, I would suggest noone pay anymore than that. 

phil_c

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 04:21:58 PM »

Ok finally got the steps installed today.  The directions from GM were pretty bad for a newbie.  The bracket kind of pinches the body channel that was kinda weird.   Using a bolt/u channel  that does not self center was bad design.  the other U bolt was absurd, with like 2 cents of engineering they could of prepped the frame a little easier and make it alot better.  Anyhow, few bolts and its all on.  Looks good and feels sturdy to my 220 lb self.   Should be good for the long haul. And they better be for the price.  Remember I paid 450 delievered, I would suggest noone pay anymore than that. 

Hi,
By any chance, would you still have the GM installation instructions?  I was lucky enough to find a set of these that a fellow Traverse owner did not want and picked them up at a great price.  But, of course, no instructions.  If you have them and would be able to email them, i would be most appreciative.
Thanks,
Phil
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories