TraverseForum.com
Bookmark and Share
September 20, 2014, 05:56:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Looking for something smaller than the Traverse? Check out the all new Chevy Equinox at http://www.EquinoxForum.net

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: OEM Remote Start Install??  (Read 14264 times)
Mistic

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2009, 11:47:02 AM »

Hey everyone....I know there are alot of talks on here about remote starters for the Traverse.  However does anyone have any experience on installing the factory GM remote start into their Traverse.  I'm talking going to your Chevy dealer, purchasing the system that is meant for the Traverse and instead of having the dealership install the system you install it yourself. 

I'm just curious if it is a plug and play system.

I've installed aftermarket systems like DEI's in other vehicle in the past, however for my new 2010 Traverse I want to stick with factory.  Any info that you could enlighten me with is greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Jay

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Z71, Black, 5.3L
2010 Chevrolet Traverse 2LT, Black Granite Metallic, 3.6L
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2009, 11:54:36 AM »

One of the guys here has access to some GM stuff...
Maybe he can lookup the installation instructions.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    23,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    80,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
Tiestosteele

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 12:55:47 PM »

might be able to get it at gmpartsdirect.com cheaper then the dealer... Sorry cant help on install.

11 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Nav, Push Start, DVD
09 LTZ Black Granite Metallic, Nav, Dual DVD, True HID headlights, LED Reverse lights (SOLD)
04 Azure Blue Mach 1 - 5spd., tri ax shifter, bassani headers, magnaflow exhaust, custom xpipe, 4.10 gears, 17x10.5" 315 drag radials, custom tune.
srobinso11

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 11:19:32 PM »

I am pretty sure, at the very least, a dealer will have to reprogram your car.  It is not just a hardware solution.  Your traverse's computer has to know it is installed.  I had this installed by my dealer and they had to install a new hood latch that told the computer when the hood was open.  They also had to remove the entire head liner as something had to be connected or installed all the way in the back.  For what it is worth, I have installed my own remote starters and alarms in my last 5 vehicles and I think you are better off letting the dealer handle this one.  Especially if you want the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty on your car to cover the remote start.

As someone who has only had aftermarket remote starters until my Traverse, I can tell you I miss some of the features the aftermarket offers, but the factory system has it's pros too.
670hoth

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 11:52:32 AM »

srobinso11,

Roughly, how much did all of this work cost you?

Thanks
srobinso11

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 01:14:59 PM »

It cost $367 installed.  This is for the single LCD remote for a traverse without the powered lift gate. 
Mistic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 02:22:59 PM »

Thanks for all the info everyone...I will keep you all posted with any other info that I find out on my end, but it sounds like I will probably be having the dealership do the install.  We will see.

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Z71, Black, 5.3L
2010 Chevrolet Traverse 2LT, Black Granite Metallic, 3.6L
medicrxdoc

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 11:03:31 PM »

I don't have a remote starter yet.  In considering one, I did some "research" on the internet and there are some stories about people who have electical problems, etc. after an aftermarket system is put in.  I don't know if they are chicken littles or what, but considering the complexity of these electical systems I am gonna stick to the dealer installed one just in case.  The remote may not work as long, but that little peace of mind is worth it.
bobg1951chevy
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 11:25:08 PM »

I don't have a remote starter yet.  In considering one, I did some "research" on the internet and there are some stories about people who have electical problems, etc. after an aftermarket system is put in.  I don't know if they are chicken littles or what, but considering the complexity of these electical systems I am gonna stick to the dealer installed one just in case.  The remote may not work as long, but that little peace of mind is worth it.

I'll say this ..... at $100.00 PLUS per F.R.H., I wouldn't want to tap into the electrical system and screw up the warranty. It could cost BIG $$$$$$ if the system turned to toast at the owners expense. Bang Head

Bob

2009 Silver Ice LS FWD
Built 6/3/09
1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 dr.
Built 7/1951  
www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/21579056

"Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like" .... Will Rogers
kawazar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 07:19:53 AM »

My dealership recommended a local company that does their aftermarket installs. They said they never had a problem. Then the other day my neighbor said they went to this company and has had nothing but problems. While under warranty the dealer is the way to go. I want one too and its pricey so I'm going to wait rather than go aftermarket.

09 1LT FWD
Build Date: 3/16/09
mille1j

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 10:02:49 PM »

I had my dealer install the advanced remote start into my 1LT.

I only got one FOB (definitely expected two).  they did program my two old fobs to continue to work.

Cost $241

They said the range was 300 feet.  I get nowhere near that.  in a parking lot, i get maybe 60 feet range.  If i'm in my house, i have to be at the front door for it to function in the driveway, but if i'm further in the house it won't work.
AA/78U-Blue Gold
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 10:20:03 PM »

Realize that 300ft is under optimal conditions; kinda like this

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=7973.msg111931#msg111931

Walls; wireless electronics in your home and just about anything can interfere with the signal; even outside with all the wireless noise that is in the air.

Now that's not to say you shouldn't get better results; I'm saying that there are a lot of other sources that can interfere with the signal
bobg1951chevy
Traverse Freak

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 11:35:37 PM »

I had my dealer install the advanced remote start into my 1LT.

I only got one FOB (definitely expected two).  they did program my two old fobs to continue to work.

Cost $241

They said the range was 300 feet.  I get nowhere near that.  in a parking lot, i get maybe 60 feet range.  If i'm in my house, i have to be at the front door for it to function in the driveway, but if i'm further in the house it won't work.

Is the unit OEM or is it aftermarket?

Bob

2009 Silver Ice LS FWD
Built 6/3/09
1951 Chevy Styleline Deluxe 2 dr.
Built 7/1951  
www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/21579056

"Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like" .... Will Rogers
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 11:54:37 PM »

try putting the remote to your chin--- and press the button.

Come back and let us know how much more distance you got from it...

mille1j

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 08:24:58 PM »

I had the OEM remote start installed.

Just today, it didn't work until we were well within 50 feet of the car.  I am very disappointed with the range of the device.
bigtallvandy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2010, 09:33:19 PM »

I had the OEM remote start installed.

Just today, it didn't work until we were well within 50 feet of the car.  I am very disappointed with the range of the device.

Is this the Advanced 2-Way Remote Start (GM Accessories) or is it simply "remote start" much like the factory OE?  The latter is known to be a much shorter distance, roughly half that of the extended range lock/unlock function.  The Advanced 2-Way remote is capable of going distances of up to 300 feet and then some under 'optimal' conditions.

Try a fresh battery in the fob and see what that brings you.  Also note that antenna placement for the advanced 2-way system has a big effect on range.  Some owners have had the antenna installed underneath the trim at the back of the vehicle, others place it on top of the trim in the window area.  All of these things have an effect.

Placing the transmitter higher up than the receiver is also good for range.  The more unimpeded the signal path, the better.  Going through any object, be it a wall, window glass, etc. will cause a loss of signal.  Outdoors, line of sight, no overhead transmission wires, etc., all spells a much better range.

zepcom

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 08:43:28 AM »

Some owners have had the antenna installed underneath the trim at the back of the vehicle, others place it on top of the trim in the window area.  All of these things have an effect.

^^ This.

When will they come out with a remote start system that has dual "Diversity" antennas, one in the front of the truck and one near the rear, so independant of how the truck is parked, whichever antenna receives the signal will process the command.

I also know that the 'under-the-chin' trick works.  You're using your body as the antenna, and you can usually get 10-20 more feet of range by doing that.  All that radiation, so little time.   flaming mad  Happy

--zepcom
* 2011 Cyber Grey Metallic Traverse LT1 FWD.  *
     Ebony Cloth, 2-2-3 seats, Remote Start, Manual HVAC, craptastic-Ultrasonic & Inspiring-Gentex-rearview-Camera, Bluetooth, Factory Trailering "Provisions" which awards "performance shift" button. Smiley

* 2009.1 G8GT "the grocery getter"
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 11:50:26 AM »

^^ This.

When will they come out with a remote start system that has dual "Diversity" antennas, one in the front of the truck and one near the rear, so independant of how the truck is parked, whichever antenna receives the signal will process the command.

I also know that the 'under-the-chin' trick works.  You're using your body as the antenna, and you can usually get 10-20 more feet of range by doing that.  All that radiation, so little time.   flaming mad  Happy

Chin method gets me 100 Ft....

copperbeech

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 12:47:10 PM »

Our Traverse has gone through one Ontario winter in which I did use the remote start in the morning before heading off to work but I have decided that I will *not* use it this coming winter....for environmental reasons i.e. gas consumption and exhaust fumes.

1LT AWD Gold Mist; Build Date April 09

Greater Toronto Area
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2010, 01:08:58 PM »

Are you also thinking about Fuel dilution?

As you know- the Lambdas seem to have a longer revv up time- on cold engine start ups--- as compared to other cars.
It seems to revv up-- sit there for a bit--- has the switchover from 2 pulses to 1. (the dip in the RPM we hear and see)- and then slowly begins to revv down-- eventually settling on 800 or so--- and eventually about 600...
this can be several minutes.....  and Ive always been the type to wait until im BELOW 900 RPMs before shifting into gear....

Since its not too cold here in LA--- what I like to do- Is remote start the car- right as I know im about to leave the house- it starts- and I head out the door- and put my stuff in the back seat- and hop into the car--- as I buckle my seatbelt--- the RPMs have just recently dropped into the 800 range-- at which point I simply put in gear-- and off I go.
Same for leaving work- remote start as I walk to the car--and once im in- I can simply put into gear.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories