TraverseForum.com
Bookmark and Share
November 01, 2014, 06:55:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Traverse Sales:  Mar: 8,230       YTD:26,368        All-Time: 233,642  (graph)

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: slight smell of sulphur  (Read 35678 times)
copperbeech

View Profile
« on: May 05, 2009, 05:50:24 PM »

I have had my 1LT for just over a week and have only accumulated slight less than 300 miles. But I think I do notice, very slightly, a faint odour of "rotten eggs". I also have a Pontiac Vibe that had its CAT converter replaced under warranty early on as the smell was very pronounced. Just wondering if others notice something similar...that it might be just a symptom of the engine and CAT just 'breaking in' or maybe this is just normal a normal combustion smell.
(Btw, I have used only high octane Shell fuel).

1LT AWD Gold Mist; Build Date April 09

Greater Toronto Area
medman

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 06:46:34 PM »

Hey Copper

Why are you running top notch gas in it??...just curious...is that a personal preference???....
Sure it is your traverse, and not someone in front of you??

Medman

2LT -AWD
Dark Cherry Metallic -tow pkg, Ebony leather,heated seats,cargo pkg,2 sunroofs
t4me

Q:Honey, how much did YOU spend? A:It sleeps 4!!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 07:14:26 PM »

Copper, the only "rotten egg" smell my wife notices in the Traverse has nothing to do with the car or engine.  And no, my diet has not changed recently.  Go Leafs!

2014 Traverse AWD LTZ (silver ice) w/Nav and Ebony interior (Wife's Ride)
2012 Gray Metallic Malibu (My Ride)
copperbeech

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 08:12:10 PM »

I knew I was asking for trouble when I included the phrase "rotten egg" in my post  Grin.

I only buy Shell, because of CC points; and lately V Power as it has been reasonably priced for the past while with this economic downturn.

Have you guys also noticed the new formulation in all Shell octanes...nitrogen.

I know this had been introduced in the States a couple of months back but it has just recently come to my area of Ontario.

Greater Toronto Area
medman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 07:51:43 AM »

lmao...ther's the problem right there...."Shell"...lol....kidding....
Maybe it's the nitrogen???....didn't notice...I use petro canada mostly....no shells close to my house....

Medman

2LT -AWD
copperbeech

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 02:56:30 PM »

The smell continues for the car. I will need to bring it in sometime to the dealer. I am convinced the cat. converter needs to be replaced.

Greater Toronto Area
medman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 10:11:12 AM »

You're kidding.....think it's a dud??

2LT -AWD
Narg

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 01:21:11 PM »

Have your dealer use something they call "frigi-fresh" in the air system ducts.  Lots of cars often get something that crawls into the air ducts and die.  Some have moisture issues, or foliage issues (it is spring time so plants are dropping all kinds of odd stuff that can get into a car's air ducts) which can cause musty or foul odors.
LCN

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 09:13:02 AM »

Originally, I noticed a smell in our new LT2 that smelled like natural gas (no jokes, plz).  But it was only when at a stop with the A/C on.  When you accelerate it goes away.  Same thing?
t4me

Q:Honey, how much did YOU spend? A:It sleeps 4!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 10:43:52 AM »

Copper, give us a status on YOUR SMELL - I mean, your Traverse SMELL - I mean the smell that you think is coming from your Traverse.

2014 Traverse AWD LTZ (silver ice) w/Nav and Ebony interior (Wife's Ride)
2012 Gray Metallic Malibu (My Ride)
copperbeech

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 04:46:02 PM »

The car is now at around 1900 miles and the odour that I experienced early on is not nearly as prevalent. I guess for some cars there is a break in period for the CAT.

Greater Toronto Area
Rick662

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 07:11:13 PM »

Originally, I noticed a smell in our new LT2 that smelled like natural gas (no jokes, plz).  But it was only when at a stop with the A/C on.  When you accelerate it goes away.  Same thing?

I have almost 3000 miles and one evening I was stopped at a light, don't recall A/C being on or not but the smell of LNG was so strong I called in a possible gas leak to the FD, Bang Head of course they found nothing because I had left. Keep us posted if it goes away or something changes it. Thanks.

1966 ChevyII - 2006 K1500 Crew cab Silverado (mine) 2012 Chevy Cruze LTZ/RS (Gas saver)
1972 MGB -  2009 Traverse Granite Black LTZ AWD with eveything (Hers)
philangler

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 11:55:35 PM »

i have the same situation, smell of rotten egg/gas but only when stationary & idling w/ recirculation off.
my traverse LT has 700++  miles on it now.
Any updates/fixes?
jbercu

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 11:52:34 AM »

i have the same situation, smell of rotten egg/gas but only when stationary & idling w/ recirculation off.
my traverse LT has 700++  miles on it now.
Any updates/fixes?

I had the same problem and took it back to the dealer.  The dealer claims to have fixed the problem using the following procedure.

ZX1100F1
06-21-2007, 03:49 PM
Document ID# 1888812
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe - 4WD

Subject: Propane Sulfur Or Foul Odor From The Rear Differential - keywords axle fluid vent #PIP4027 - (01/18/2007) Models: 2007 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2007 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI. Condition/Concern: Odor or repeat odor from the rear differential with no other noise symptoms. Recommendation/Instructions: Drain and disassemble the rear differential by removing the gear case and axle shafts. Clean the rear differential completely with a suitable solvent make sure the housing is clean and dry prior to reassembly. Replace the rear differential vent hose and cap. Relocate the vent to either near the spare tire or evap canister area. Cut the new vent hose approximately 6 inches from the vent cap end and install filter part number 5651682, secure the filter with clamps supplied. Fill the differential with the appropriate fluid listed in eSI Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed. GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Document ID# 1888812
2007 Chevrolet Tahoe - 4WD

The dealer this this, and the smell is stronger than ever.  I will take it back.  The axle fluid vent has to be placed somewhere away from the fan intake.  I think!!!
tomlinsonc1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2009, 12:11:50 PM »

I have the same thing on my Traverse.  When the you stop at a stop light or intersection, it smells like gas enters the ventiliation system.  I have tried to narrow down the issue and I have found the following:
1) It only happens after you stop; never while moving
2) There will often be no other cars around; isolates the issue to my vehicle, not sucking in the exhaust of another car
3) Will not happen if you have recirculate turned on; makes me think its obviously coming in thru the air intakes (outside)
4) Makes no difference if the stopping is fast or slow
5) Took it to the dealer and obviously they didn't find the issue
copperbeech

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 07:44:32 AM »

I was the original poster for this thread. The car now has about 4k miles on it and as I indicated a bit earlier the sulphur smell has lessened considerably since I first reported it. Occasionally while idling I can detect it but again not overpowering like before.

If you are still experiencing this odour at say...6k miles than I would bring it in and 'insist' on a new cat converter. Until that time I would imagine the service dep't would consider this as symptom of 'break in' for a new car.

Greater Toronto Area
Rick662

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2009, 08:38:28 AM »

Simple solution to smells. Keep the recirculate air switch on. Hopefully the dealer will have a better answer before the cold weather hits I don't want to be one of the people that ride around with their windows fogged up because of the recirc button. confused

1966 ChevyII - 2006 K1500 Crew cab Silverado (mine) 2012 Chevy Cruze LTZ/RS (Gas saver)
1972 MGB -  2009 Traverse Granite Black LTZ AWD with eveything (Hers)
travmychev

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 06:20:24 PM »

My theory is that the exhaust pipe and manifolds are off-gassing due to the galvanization.  Not positive though.  The smell will not persist once the outer shell of the exhaust pipe and manifold get hot enough, long enough.
dtell

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 10:31:02 AM »

I have over 8k miles on my Traverse now and still get the smell at times.  Mostly when sitting at a light after getting off the freeway.  I too at first thought the smell was cng or lng (propane whatever) and made a call to the FD.  I now recognize the smell as gear lube.  It could be coming from either the front diff or the transfer case.  I have not taken to the dealership yet to get it checked.
bob23

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 11:00:55 AM »

I too have been smelling the 'LPG' fumes from the air vents upon stopping from speeds above 30 mph. I took a look at the bulletin posted earlier, it is not Traverse specific, but it lead me to have a look for the vent on the rear diff. The vent is not connected to a 'vent tube' but is a metal tube on the top of the diff covered by a pressure cap which allows release of pressure and gasses. To confirm my theory that this is the source of the smell, I wrapped the vent with electrical tape, effectively sealing it so no fumes could escape. I proved the theory by driving the truck in scenarios where the smell occurred. The results, NO SMELL at all.

For obvoius reasons, I will not allow the local dealer to disassemble the rear diff, as per the bulletin, so my next step is to fabricate and install a vent tube which I will attach to the vent on the diff and locate the gas exhaust the the far rear of the truck. Has anyone done this already?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories