TraverseForum.com
Bookmark and Share
October 02, 2014, 12:22:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 2nd Annual Lambda meet/LDT plant tour Jun 17, 2011 more info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: Rear Cargo Carrier Question  (Read 3418 times)
littlebadboy

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2013, 12:10:07 PM »

Hi Traverse masters!  I got a brand new aluminum cargo carrier really cheap (I think) from a thrift shop!  It is still in an unopened box!  We do not have any immediate use for it right now but we thought it might be handy someday.  I have some questions about it if I may... how do I keep the cargo in it secure and safe?  Just worried that something might be tossed out of it while in transit or be stolen.  I have also noticed that the plates will be covered, will I get a ticket for it?  What are the legal issues?  What if it rains?
toddmati1515

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 12:42:18 PM »

I just took a trip two week ago and used my rear cargo carrier.  I've used them in the past as well.  Not sure what the exact laws are on the license plate, but I'd assume you could get pulled over if it's covered.  Mine was covered both down and back (20 hours round trip) and  had no issues.  Just take a screwdriver and some zip ties with you to remove it and attach it t your carrier if you get pulled over.  If you're really worried, the just attach it to your carrier before you leave.  Don't forget a screwdrive to put it back on the car when you get there.  If you'r worried that someone may take the carrier, use a lockable hitch pin.  You can get one for about $10-$20.  I got mine or $10 at Harbor Freight a while back.  I have a large cargo bag, also from HF, that attaches to the carrier with bungee cords. Everything in the bag was put in garbage bags or plastic containers in case of  downpour.  I know there are plastic bins you can get that attach to the carriers more securely and lock, but of course those are a little pricey.

2012 Traverse LT1 AWD
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 01:44:29 PM »

I use a hitch lock-- so it doesnt get stolen.
I use bunjee cords.

Especially when I travel to Mexico-- in case one of their checkpoints wants to inspect my cargo- its easier to unbunjie-- than to undo rope.

Plates- Ive done 4 trips from Los Angeles To FL with a rack- and 3 trips Los Angeles to Guadalajara,Mex and have never been stopped for having my plates covered...
Though I was prepared to put them on the rack if need be.

For certain loads-- I have bought cardboard boxes that are just the right size to fit snuggly on the rack.

Other trips- I place stuff that can get wet.

I have posted in threads of my cargo rack with different loads-
Theyll be viewable on Aug 1- when my acct resets.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    27,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    84,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
Rubberman

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 02:15:26 PM »

I am wanting to get one too. But i have seen others use those Rubbermaid type containers and either bungee or ratchet tie them down.

'12 Traverse LT 1LT - Carbon Flash Black
littlebadboy

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 03:16:44 PM »

Bungee cords, plastic containers, lockable pins, and garbage bags... got it.  Thanks!
Stockholm Traverse

My ride: 300 C. Wife's ride: the Traverse.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 03:18:32 PM »

I just took a trip two week ago and used my rear cargo carrier.  I've used them in the past as well.  Not sure what the exact laws are on the license plate, but I'd assume you could get pulled over if it's covered.  Mine was covered both down and back (20 hours round trip) and  had no issues.  Just take a screwdriver and some zip ties with you to remove it and attach it t your carrier if you get pulled over.  If you're really worried, the just attach it to your carrier before you leave.  Don't forget a screwdrive to put it back on the car when you get there.  If you'r worried that someone may take the carrier, use a lockable hitch pin.  You can get one for about $10-$20.  I got mine or $10 at Harbor Freight a while back.  I have a large cargo bag, also from HF, that attaches to the carrier with bungee cords. Everything in the bag was put in garbage bags or plastic containers in case of  downpour.  I know there are plastic bins you can get that attach to the carriers more securely and lock, but of course those are a little pricey.

Regarding the license plate: Take a photo of the plate and print a life size copy on photo paper. You could laminate it to make it water proof or tape it into a sheet protector. Then mount it in a license plate frame with backing and plastic cover, and mount it to the back of the carrier. It looks real and will lower the risk of you being pulled over. You need to do this over each time you get a new sticker, though.

2012 Chevrolet Traverse 1LT AWD, White, Dark Gray/Light Gray, Premium cloth seat trim
Options: quad seats, remote start
GM Accessories: cargo security shade, cargo area net, front floor console organizer
Other: WeatherTech® floor mats and cargo liner, Reese Towpower 51083 Pro Series Class I Hitch
ironman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 04:52:50 PM »

I've tried two different styles from Princess Auto (up here in Toronto, Canada), and both of them don't fit (Z-mount and straight).  The receiver is too far under the rear end that some part of the cargo carrier hits the bumper and therefore I can't get the pin-holes lined up.  Is no one else having this problem?

I guess I will have to get an extension, then wait for the carriers to go back on sale.
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 05:27:46 PM »

mine is close.. but doesnt touch--
another member on here posted pics of his being very close to the bumper and actually touching...
but we are able to insert the hitch pin

toddmati1515

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 09:18:26 PM »

Oh yes.  How could I forget.  My carrier stem was too short, so I had to get an extension.  Got a 12 inch one from harbor freight.  I just thought it was due to the carrier I had, but I guess others have the same problem.  Def check it out.  The extension was about $20.

2012 Traverse LT1 AWD
Rocky

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 02:33:57 AM »

Adding trailer lights is cheap and easy. You can also get or make attachments so you can mount the tag so its illuminated using as I've done stainless steel bits and bolts. Got my set up from Cabelas 15 years ago. Still good.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 12:00:36 PM »

I have that post- on how to add LEDs to your rack...
I have the factory electrical connector and set it up so that the lamps on the rack- do left, right, stop, park lamps.
I wired in the male 7 pin connector to the LED's.

If you dont have the 7 pin from the factory- you can buy the wiring kit to tap into the brakelights.. prob $30 or so..
and have a 4 pin connector.

its a fun little project.

anglarry04

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 12:51:06 PM »

Suitcases have trash bags.   My other suitcase handles weather well.   Then I have an oversize tarp that I  "double wrap" all contents on my rack.  I have the etrailer rack that is plenty long enough to where I dont have any clearance issues.   I've been on two long road trips.  One from South carolina to San DIego CA, and one from South Carolina to FLorida panhandle.  No cops have given me hassel yet.   Even got tailed by a few.  Of course I have tools to move it if necessary.
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories