TraverseForum.com
Bookmark and Share
July 22, 2014, 05:32:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out our new iPhone, Android & Blackberry App! More info

Home   Help Search Gallery Login Register  
Registered users see fewer ads.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
This topic has not yet been rated!
You have not rated this topic. Select a rating:
Author Topic: Windshield washer  (Read 3765 times)
wolfenn

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2013, 10:32:40 PM »

We just purchased an '09 Traverse, which is a great vehicle. But we are having one problem with it. The windshield washer is not working. When you push the button on the turn signal lever, there is no spray and the wipers do not work. The wipers work fine using the normal intermittent, low and high speeds.

I checked the fuses and replaced them both. When I push the button there is no sound coming from the relay under the dash. I tried replacing that relay but it still did not work.

I wonder if the button on the lever is broken? Anyone ever have that problem? I guess it could be a wiring problem, but I'm not sure. Any ideas would be a great help, trying to avoid going to a dealer. Thanks!
redlight_005

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 04:20:47 AM »

If you have a voltmeter, you can determine what you are getting power to (or not getting power to).
SpinningHat

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 09:33:36 AM »

I guess the first thing I would ask, is did you fill up the reservoir? Simple, yes, but with that thing hidden and all you can see is the filler neck, I'd get some and pour it in there. Does the pump make a whirring sound when you hit the button? You'd hear it in the cab for sure.
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 10:31:33 AM »

What about the rear?
I simply ask- because both pump motors sit side by side next to the washer tank.

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    23,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    80,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
Patverse

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 10:39:28 AM »

It sure sounds like an electrical problem, even if the resovoir was empty, you should hear the pump run, and the wipers should make about 3 passes. The fact that the wipers don't turn on, and he replaced the relay and fuses, almost certainly point to a bad switch, too bad you can't get in there somehow and jumper the wires. Have you tried really wiggling the switch even a little side to side to see if you can get any response?

2009 Black Granite Traverse LT1
Running boards, towing package 2WD
Chevrolet Customer Svc
Traverse Freak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 05:44:14 PM »

We just purchased an '09 Traverse, which is a great vehicle. But we are having one problem with it. The windshield washer is not working. When you push the button on the turn signal lever, there is no spray and the wipers do not work. The wipers work fine using the normal intermittent, low and high speeds.

I checked the fuses and replaced them both. When I push the button there is no sound coming from the relay under the dash. I tried replacing that relay but it still did not work.

I wonder if the button on the lever is broken? Anyone ever have that problem? I guess it could be a wiring problem, but I'm not sure. Any ideas would be a great help, trying to avoid going to a dealer. Thanks!

Greetings wolfenn,

Sorry to hear that your windshield washer is not working. I know that must be displeasing for you! You are more than welcome to contact us via private message for additional assistance on this matter. If not, I certainly hope it gets resolved soon.

Kindly,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
wolfenn

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 11:12:44 PM »

Just wanted to say thanks for the quick replies and the ideas about things to check.

I decided to just break down and tear into the steering column. I removed the turn signal lever and the module its connected too. Removed the top of the module and found the wires coming from the lever. The green wire had a break in it, also the red and blue wires had a tiny nick in the shield of each. I was able to strip and solder the green wire, then put a couple small pieces of tape on them. Put it all back together and everything worked!

I know it just a temporary fix and I'm going to go order a new one. I'm just happy it was wasn't something with the computer or a sensor or something else that is expensive to fix.

Thanks again for the help everyone.
rbarrios
Traverse GOD!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 12:30:45 AM »

I think youre the 1st one on here to post about working on that part....

2010 FWD LT1-Gold Mist Metallic- seats 8.
Build Date- July 31, 2009-2nd day of Spring Hill 2010 production.
2013 Equinox 3.6L -    23,000
2010 Traverse 3.6L-    80,000
2003 Trailblazer 4.2L-173,000
Rocky

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 06:25:55 AM »

Since its a four year old car, I'm wondering about its history.
Specially whether anyone would have needed to perform repairs on that part of the vehicle. Eg airbag replacement

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Durronz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 11:54:35 PM »

Curious - I have a 2011 Traverse with the same problem.  It happened once before where both pumps would not work.  I had a remote start installed and figured it may have been something they did.  I took it to them and they said it was a blown fuse.  It was working, so I did not mind. 

It recently quit working again.

Here is the scenario:
- Front and rear washer pumps are not working.
- Replaced 10A fuse under the dash for the front washer
- Checked 25A fuse in the engine fuse block - it's fine as well
- I can hear the relays clicking when I hit the front or rear switch
- Removed the fender lining to visually inspect the pumps - everything is connected

Any ideas? 

Thanks!
neddanid

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 06:58:40 PM »

I didn't want to begin a new topic.  I hope that some of you might help.

My wipers & washer only work if I have the right turn signal.  I have checked the fuses with a tester and they are fine.  So I'm guessing it might be the lever.  Anyone familiar with these symptoms?  

BTW Whats up with the fuses?  There called mini fuses, but the ones that I got from OReillys fit but had longer legs.  Where can I get the ones similar from from the factory?

Fuses:  There called low profile fuses.  Ha!

Thanks guys.  

It turned out to be a broken cable on the switch arm.  The blue one.  I got some pictures below.  I'm sure my fix will be temporary, but it was fun to fix.

I not allowed to put pictures.   Sad 

2010  Chevy Traverse
Pages: [1]   Go Up   [ Home | Unread Posts | Unread Replies ]
  Print  

Jump to:  
Custom Auto Accessories